Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: BLACKSTONE GRIDDLE

Options
I'm sure this has been talked about before but do any of you guys own a Blackstone Griddle.  I have wanted a griddle for a while as I love to cook breakfast and hibachi style among many other things on a griddle.  The Blackstone seems very well reviewed so I bit the bullet and bought one -  and it should be in tomorrow.  What do you guys think of it?  Well made?  Will it last?  Cook well?  Any other things I need to know?

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You can pull up information for days on here with thoughts/cooks/hacks

It's quickly becoming the most used egg accessory on here
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Congrats.  It is a really fun cooking machine.  Matt's google search will point to many threads but I think the main point I would add is it needs to be seasoned and maintained similar to cast iron.  There are lots of different approaches to seasoning.  I think the main thing is to just keep it dry (no moisture) and oiled. Mine is pretty well seasoned now just from regular use.  After every cook I try to clean it immediately, dry it off, then I spray it down with canola and cover it.     

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Love it!  It's a cooking beast. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • steventconners20
    Options
    Has someone posted about an option to help with the 1" gap between the Griddle and the base.  When the wind is blowing i feel like it really effects the temp.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Has someone posted about an option to help with the 1" gap between the Griddle and the base.  When the wind is blowing i feel like it really effects the temp.
    Sometimes the wind gods force you to cook on a different source. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I'd try to move it to a protected location or build/use something as a windbreak.
    South SLO County
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

The BS is my most consistently used piece of equipment.  Love it.  Get the right tools and have a blast with it.  Well made, lots of good info here on the forum.

The BS absolutely excels at all things breakfast.  Also, smashburgers, fried rice, all types of sandwiches, grilled cheese, quesadillas, etc etc.

Phoenix 
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hotch was the first one to introduce me to it.  He posted about it enough to get me interested.  I finally bought one and I'm glad I did.  It's a nice cooker. My neighbor also bought one.  We both enjoy it.

I initially followed the seasoning instructions that came with it, but I didn't like how it turned out.  Someone had a thread going about using Grape Seed Oil to season steel pans, so I decided to re-season mine, but to include another idea - sand the grill surface.  I made a video of the re-seasoning.  Here's the link:

Blackstone Grill Re-Seasoning

Hotch told me I should use Flax Seed Oil.  It produces better results.  I'll do that next time.

Meanwhile, I was a bit disappointed in the grill top temperature be so uneven. Apparently, I wasn't the only one, and it wasn't long before someone mentioned swapping out the 5 PSI hose/regulator for a 10 PSI Adjustable hose/regulator.  I mentioned it to my neighbor and he too was interested.  He also happened to have a 10 PSI regulator that came with his fish fryer.  So we tried it on mine.  WOW!  What a difference!  It came up to temperature in no time at all.  I let it level out some then started taking readings with my Infrared thermometer.  They were very much closer to being the same.  

Needless to say, I purchased a 10 PSI hose/regulator for about $24 at Academy.

I haven't cooked on it but once with the new regulator.  I'll definitely need to adjust the regulator some but I like it so far.  I think that will make a big difference in cooking Blackened Fish and searing Steaks that I previously cooked in my Sous Vide Immersion Cooker.  

Yes, the adjustable regulator is probably a good investment.

Oh, and I also bought the cover for it.  It's well made and will probably last a long time.  But the griddle design creates a crater in the cover and fills with rain water.  So I designed a contraption that took care of the problem.  Here's a photo.

As you can see, I also sewed in an old belt buckle so I could hang the cover.  It also helps to take the cover off and put it back on.

Just like your Big Green Egg, you will quickly adapt to it and start loving cooking on it.

Spring "Big Green Blackstone Egghead" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• jbjet45
    jbjet45 Posts: 52
    Options
    Mine has been my wife's favorite Christmas present I ever got.  She doesn't cook in the house unless it is raining or really cold that much anymore.  We have made some of the best burgers I have ever had on that griddle simply using dizzy dust and letting them get a really good crust before flipping them.  I cook huge breakfasts on the weekends and everyone loves them.  I bought a couple of pancake dispensers at a restaurant auction here a while back, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.  I probably use my BS 2 to 1 over the egg, mostly just because of convenience
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Blackstone breakfast today
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • glocklynn
    glocklynn Posts: 17
    Options
    Spring Chicken can you describe the materials and how you made the contraption to go under the cover?
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Hey @glocklynn if you want to "summon" someone, you need to use an @ followed by their username, like i did for you here.  Otherwise it is possible that they may never return to this thread.  Happy egging!  

@Spring Chicken

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • glocklynn
    glocklynn Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you...I would assume since you did that with his name at the bottom of your post that for this thread that should suffice.  @kl8ton
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited June 2016
    Options
    She should be along shortly @glocklynn
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI