Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mixon weighs in on Brisket cooking fat cap up or down...

We've always cooked fat cap down but I hear lots here go the other way, not sure why. Quote- "You cook briskets with fat-cap up and you think that two inches of damn fat is going to run down through the middle of the meat and come back up the other side? …Not unless it’s a magic brisket.” -Myron Mixon Link-http://www.mademan.com/5-grilling-myths-busted/

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    It is not possible for the fat to run into the meat. It just runs off
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Fat cap goes facing the area of higher heat.  
    Agreed, that's why I go fat side down and at times I have had the brisket stick to the grate and I rather loss fat then meat.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Exactly - fat side up or down all depends on your cooker
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    We always work hard to achieve a perfect bark, and protect it all the way thru the cook. Cooking fat cap down helps preserve the meat side presentation. Must be a Franklin thing?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I'm generally fat side up just because that's how I learned. I have no issues with bark. I can tell you I have done them every which way in a bge, it does not matter. Concern yourself with other things...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    I normally to drunk during brisket cooks.  so I just throw it on and whatever way it lands I just roll with it. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Fat cap down and towards the heat.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Wouldn't that be from top? Should be cooler under the brisket or at grate level. 

I have always cooked them fat up. My hillbilly logic is just for some protection,  not to 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Wouldn't that be from top? Should be cooler under the brisket or at grate level. 

I have always cooked them fat up. My hillbilly logic is just for some protection,  not to 
    Matt-hew, the whole physics thing is confusing, but
     that hot ass fire you lit generates much more thermal energy than what's radiated off the dome.  The fire is hot!  Even with a deflector.  And because of the deflector.  And the open daisy wheel/Smokeware cap venting some of the heat.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Its almost Friday, right?

Actually, it is best if you place the brisket on its side and make sure that the fat cap is facing towards Texas!  Of course, if you are in TX you can do what you want.   =)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    edited June 2016
    Me, down.  Why?  Because the fat cap sticks to the grid and often times just rips off the brisket for me on its own when I take it off the grid without any care.  It makes things easier.
  • tarheelmatt
    bgebrent said:

that hot ass fire you lit generates much more thermal energy than what's radiated off the dome.  The fire is hot!  Even with a deflector.  And because of the deflector.  And the open daisy wheel/Smokeware cap venting some of the heat.
    Not really saying it's the gospel,  but trying to have a conversation. The way heat is routed in the Egg, it would appear the top when cooking indirect could feel more warm air. 

Now, when we cook pit cooked, we finish fat on bottom, for butts, that because it's a direct fire. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    bgebrent said:

Not really saying it's the gospel,  but trying to have a conversation. The way heat is routed in the Egg, it would appear the top when cooking indirect could feel more warm air. 

Now, when we cook pit cooked, we finish fat on bottom, for butts, that because it's a direct fire. 
    I see where you are coming from.  When I cook I usually put 2 grate probes...1 on the grate where I'm cooking and a 2nd one either attached to the dome thermometer or to the upper grate (if I'm using one).

In almost all cases (where I'm using a heat deflection (i.e. platesetter)) the upper temperature trends above the lower temperature.  This would support the fat cap up theory.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • tarheelmatt
    bgebrent said:

I see where you are coming from.  When I cook I usually put 2 grate probes...1 on the grate where I'm cooking and a 2nd one either attached to the dome thermometer or to the upper grate (if I'm using one).

In almost all cases (where I'm using a heat deflection (i.e. platesetter)) the upper temperature trends above the lower temperature.  This would support the fat cap up theory.
    Yeah, you painted that a little better than I did.  Thanks.  

So when the "heat" is deflected from the platesetter, it routes upward, towards the dome, it then swirls (one would assume), and turn downward (some leaving the vessel of course)assuming again)), hitting the top more so that the bottom.  

Again, I'm only using my backwoods logic here.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    bgebrent said:

So when the "heat" is deflected from the platesetter, it routes upward, towards the dome, it then swirls (one would assume), and turn downward (some leaving the vessel of course)assuming again)), hitting the top more so that the bottom.  

This. Especially if your meat is well within the silhouette of whatever you are using to block heat. A platesetter by itself can get quite hot and the radiant heat can burn the bottom of your meat. That's why a drip pan that is spaced off the platesetter with some air between the two is the way to go. Then put the fat up. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    Foghorn said:
    bgebrent said:

This. Especially if your meat is well within the silhouette of whatever you are using to block heat. A platesetter by itself can get quite hot and the radiant heat can burn the bottom of your meat. That's why a drip pan that is spaced off the platesetter with some air between the two is the way to go. Then put the fat up. 
    @Foghorn, yes my "theory" is based off the Egg setup indirect w/PS, spaces, and drip pan.  That's a key point that I should have prefaced.  Thanks for pointing that out.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    I will weigh in on this latest controversy.  Hopefully there will be no name calling, although it is Friday. Fat cap down.  For the very simple reason - as mentioned by others - that whatever gets stuck to the grate and pulled off, I want it to be fat and not bark.
    New Orleans LA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I just cut all the fat off the outside, then I don't have to worry with it. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I just cut all the fat off the outside, then I don't have to worry with it. 
    BRILLIANT!

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    i would have a preference for foods up or down if i ever noticed that the top (or bottom, as the case may be) actually WERE burnt or cooked more than the other side

but have never spotted a diff. ...least not in the BGE, indirect

though pizzas do brown on top better (for me) when raised into the dome.  their underside seems to cook the same either high or low

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    don't forget pork butt, the same basic cooks as brisket

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I'm a fat down guy. @theyolksonyou thats how I've been doing them lately. Trim all the fat off smoke at 300 for 2.5 hours hours. Then aluminum pan with beef broth for 3 hours at 325 It's not traditional Texas style but I like it. Here's a pic of some sliced and with a little  broth on top. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307

So what I'm learning from this post it's like replacing a roll of toilet tissue...there are two ways and if they both work there's no wrong way.

LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Gunnar said:

So what I'm learning from this post it's like replacing a roll of toilet tissue...there are two ways and if they both work there's no wrong way.

Someone must be wrong, or what kind of forum would this be?
    New Orleans LA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    i would have a preference for foods up or down if i ever noticed that the top (or bottom, as the case may be) actually WERE burnt or cooked more than the other side

but have never spotted a diff. ...least not in the BGE, indirect

though pizzas do brown on top better (for me) when raised into the dome.  their underside seems to cook the same either high or low

Always go topping side up on a pizza.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Legume - great post especially for a Friday night primer.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I don't know if many people on here travel a lot for work, but I do and I search out local when I can. I will look places up and check reviews. It's unreal what people think is good Q. I had brisket up near Fort Wayne IN. that I wouldn't take for free the other day. Yet they got great reviews. The corporate card helps ease the pain, but I felt guilty wasting the money.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    bgebrent said:

@bgebrent I have a setup for indirect where I have the plate setter with a 1/4 plate of steel covering it (with foil), then a foil coated pizza pan (drip pan).  I use this a lot.  It blocks enough bottom heat to where I get a salamander effect.  In this setup, despite the fire at the bottom, the dome is the hotter side.  So fat cap up.