Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cuban Pork Roast ...Cooks Illustrated July - Aug.2006

Options
Standbell
Standbell Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted on this subject a few weeks ago,and said that when I completed the cook, I'd post the results. So here they are. I pretty much followed the instructions in CI, except that I did receive a great post on this forum(1) with a similar method which I adopted for the MoJo sauce. We used a 4.5# Fresh Picnic, brined-marinated for 3 days,as per CI. We cut deep slits all around the roast to allow the brine mixture to soak in. After rinsing and drying, rubbed with the garlic-citrus paste,,using fresh lime juice rather than the vinegar used by CI.[p]Brought the egg to a stable 325-335F indirect, plate setter legs up,
used a slightly raised grid, no added smoke.After 4.5 hrs, the internal temp was just about 180F, removed it and rested it for one hr.[p]Great taste,, the MoJo sauce really added to the flavor. This is a real departure from Carolina pulled pork.Well worth the effort.[p](1)WDAN, January 07, 2004

Comments

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    StandBell,[p]Can you post the recipe? I have signed up for CI, but not sure if I will get the past issue or not.[p]Thanks

• Standbell
    Options
    Master Mason,
    I can not do it right now, but will. If you send me your e-mailaddress,,it would be much better.[p]John

• MasterMason
    Options
    StandBell,[p]
    If you click on my name in the post it has my email addy.[p]Thanks

• Unknown
    Options
    Master Mason,
    here's the CI recipe--someone has uploaded it to a cooking web site. i omitted the instructions that were given for cooking on a Weber grill.[p]Cuban-Style Grill-Roasted Pork[p]Pork and Brine[p] * 1 bone-in, skin-on pork picnic shoulder, 7-8 pounds
    * 3 cups sugar
    * 2 cups table salt
    * 2 medium garlic heads, unpeeled cloves separated and crushed
    * 4 cups orange juice [p]Garlic-Citrus Paste[p] * 12 medium garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped, about 1/4 cup
    * 2 tablespoons ground cumin
    * 2 tablespoons dried oregano
    * 1 tablespoon table salt
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    * 6 tablespoons orange juice
    * 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil [p]To Brine the Pork: With sharp knife, cute 1-inch deep slits (about 1 inch long) all over roast, about 2 inches apart. Dissolve sugar and salt in 6quarts cold water in stockpot or large bucket. Stir in garlic and orange juice. Submerge pork in brine and refrigerate 18-24 hours.[p]To Apply the Garlic-Citrus Paste: Process garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper in food processor until they reach consistency of coarse paste, about ten 1-second pulses. With machine running, add orange juice, vinegar, and oil through feed tube and process until mixture forms smooth wet paste, about 20 seconds. Remove pork from brine and rinse under cool running water; pat dry with paper towels. Rub paste all over pork and into slits. Refrigerate pork until ready to grill.[p]

• MasterMason
    Options
    Ken Baker,[p]Thank you very much[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    StandBell,
    sounds good, how is this typically served?

• Unknown
    Options
    StandBell,[p]Don't know if you saw my posts a couple of weeks ago about this recipe but I too tried it with great results. I like being able to have an alternative way to make this cut of meat. The taste is very distinct and very delicious in my opinion.

• Standbell
    Options
    benny,
    I served it with the MoJo sauce, corn on the cob, roasted on the Egg, and rice. It made a very nice meal,and a good departure from Carolina Pulled Pork, which I love.