Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Awesome tool for direct cooks

Options
I've had this pig tail flipper in my toolbox since December. I finaly broke it out for some hot'n fast steaks.  600 degrees on standard grate height.

It made flipping steaks super fast and easy.  Highly recommended. 

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I've wondered if I should get one, I'm tired of melting my arm hair when I reach in with tongs to flip.  How longs the handle.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I have had one for months still new wrapped up, cooking steaks tonight I will use it! Thanks for the reminder
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Great device. I've had one for years, great for many cooks.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Used those for years! I have a short one for inside cooking and a long one for high heat flipping outside. I see yours is for righted handed folks. The company makes them as needed for lefties. Don't believe me? If you are right handed try to flip using it in your left hand! BTW as I have posted here before I even learned how to flip pancakes on a griddle with this cool tool. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    Couldn't you make one of these rather than buying one?

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• RRP
    Options
    Couldn't you make one of these rather than buying one?
    Sure... but that final tip is not just a "C" but that C is bent at a 90 degree angle, which isn't really evident in Ozzie's photo. It also needs to have a sharp pointed tip. Oh yes...also made of stainless steel means no rust to fight. Otherwise go for it! 
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    I have one of those and I love it. Not only is it useful but it's called the happy hooker so inevitably my wife and i pull out absolutely horrible jokes when talking about my hooker.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I don't have one, but I'm intrigued. Now RRP, do you reach for this more , or tongs automatically
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • RRP
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I don't have one, but I'm intrigued. Now RRP, do you reach for this more , or tongs automatically
    I have/had the clam style tongs bought years before the egg and before winning a set of the long and short pigtailflippers. I don't even know where those tongs are...maybe I gave them away! BTW PTF makes cool presentation gift boxes for retirement gifts or whatever, but as I said if you need ones for a leftie I believe you need to buy those directly. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I've wondered if I should get one, I'm tired of melting my arm hair when I reach in with tongs to flip.  How longs the handle.  
    Handle on mine is not very long, maybe 10".  I used welder gloves with it for low grate.  Plenty long for felt level.

Longer handled one would be perfect.  It is so quick though you don't spend much time in the heat.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Ok, I looked. I can get a set for 20.00--good Father's Day gift
  • RRP
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Overall length:
    12.25"
    18.50"
    Note how much more hefty the steel is in the long one.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Great tool! One of mt favs!
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Wow, amazing the difference.
    That short one has some serious usage unless it's a shadow.

Now, like all things they take practice. What foods are more of a PIA to maneuver? Anything they tend to rip or are bad at

• RRP
    Options
    just for the fun of it, why not tell the folks what you retail these puppies for at your store? BTW last weekend I used my short one exclusively for flipping my wings and pig candy at the Peoria Eggfest. That raised several questions by interested eggers so if you are selling them on the 18th brace yourself! LOL
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    What is the advantage of this over a pair of long tongs?  Tongs don't put holes in your meat either. 
  • RRP
    Options
    What is the advantage of this over a pair of long tongs?  Tongs don't put holes in your meat either. 
    Steaks are not like a balloon! The myth about a pricked steak losing all the juice is crazy!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Easier to clean. I just wipe them down with a Clorox wipe. I'm sold. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    RRP said:
    just for the fun of it, why not tell the folks what you retail these puppies for at your store? BTW last weekend I used my short one exclusively for flipping my wings and pig candy at the Peoria Eggfest. That raised several questions by interested eggers so if you are selling them on the 18th brace yourself! LOL
    I will have to check. We have BGE ones and unbranded ones. Singles and duo packs. Nice tools. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I bet the Georgia end winha were a hit!!!!
  • RRP
    Options
    I bet the Georgia end winha were a hit!!!!
    LOL - I know what you said and yes they seemed to be. At least when the crime scene detectives showed up they found little if any DNA from 92 wings I had fixed and served!
  • RRP
    Options

Jstroke said:
    Wow, amazing the difference.
    That short one has some serious usage unless it's a shadow.

Now, like all things they take practice. What foods are more of a PIA to maneuver? Anything they tend to rip or are bad at

Well - clams have no teeth so you have to be sure to really squeeze the handles REALLY tight to pick up something heavy. The large PTF has a great grip for grabbing and flipping. Don't get me wrong - I still use a metal spatula if I need to handle a large piece along with my large PTF, but the flipper has a bite for sure!
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Good to know. I think I will try one.
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    You wipe food utensils with bleach and don't rinse the bleach off????  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I want to have a Damascus steel one made. This is on my to do list now. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Great tools, mine were from Amazon, $20 for the pair - Long one is 19", short one is 12". About a year old. 
    Like RRP says, best way to flip wings. There is a slight learning curve, but much like chop sticks, once you get the hang of it you will wonder how you got along with out them. (From pigtailff.com)
    Across MBGE. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I always use mine (usually the short one). Sold the tongs!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Not sure how well that would hold up. Many of the knives have a nickel Damascus that I don't think would hold up to heat well and the carbon Damascus rusts very easily. I would stick with stainless here.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Lit said:
    Not sure how well that would hold up. Many of the knives have a nickel Damascus that I don't think would hold up to heat well and the carbon Damascus rusts very easily. I would stick with stainless here.
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I can put a bone handle on stainless...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You wipe food utensils with bleach and don't rinse the bleach off????  
    Sodium hypochlorite evaporates. No issues once dry.