Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone own a tilley hat?

Options

Comments

• Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    SGH said:
    Sadly I can not afford one due to the last 7 years of being taxed to death. If Trump wins, I will buy 10 of them to celebrate. 
    Your going to need 10 if Trump wins..... lol  
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    if i had the money SGH had, i would buy everyone on the forum one of these, each

http://www.civilwar.si.edu/lincoln_tophat.html

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Purchased my first Tilley hat today. I picked-up the ltm6 airflo in olive drab color

going to break it in this weekend
    You pick it up at the Mast Store on main in Cola?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I've had one for 6-8 years. It's da bomb. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    This thread is all over the place. That is all. 
    I have a dog...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dh7
    dh7 Posts: 42
    Options
    Purchased my first Tilley hat today. I picked-up the ltm6 airflo in olive drab color

My husband has three....has skin cancer and won't leave home without it....The one(s) he has a big brim and no holes on the top.  It's a good looking hat(s) I must say.  They wash up nice (use delicate cycle) and use a cup to keep the top up to dry.  After that it can be flat to carry anywhere. You will love it.    
    Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    if i had the money SGH had, i would buy everyone on the forum one of these, each

Darby, if you had my money you couldn't afford a bandana little lone a hat. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I have two Tilley hats.  Love them.  I hate hats, but the Tilley's are extremely comfortable.  With kite flying and hiking in Arizona a hat is a necessity ... Tilley's make it a comfortable experience.

@dh7 ... Hang the hat upside down, by the straps, to dry.  They dry faster and retain their shape as well as with a bowl.

Mine get thrown in the suitcase, backpack, or what ever ... never a problem bouncing back to shape.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• dh7
    dh7 Posts: 42
    Options
    I have two Tilley hats.  Love them.  I hate hats, but the Tilley's are extremely comfortable.  With kite flying and hiking in Arizona a hat is a necessity ... Tilley's make it a comfortable experience.

@dh7 ... Hang the hat upside down, by the straps, to dry.  They dry faster and retain their shape as well as with a bowl.

Mine get thrown in the suitcase, backpack, or what ever ... never a problem bouncing back to shape.
    I will try hanging hat upside down..thanks and yes you're right, they hold there shape.

Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    Options
    I love my Tilley but that REI looks nice too. I was in Bass Pro a few weeks ago and as I walked in they had almost an exact replica of the Tilley. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    This thread is all over the place. That is all. 
    Its actually 3 conversations at once.  Kind of like dinner at the Duggers.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited June 2016
    Options

I forget people on here know so many personal details ha 

But no sir I got from the backpacker

they actually have it for $5 less than Tilley site though they didn't have camo in stock or else I would have got that. 

Tilley ever makes in real tree AP and I'll own two 

headed to kayak and camp and fish on ogeehcee River towards ocean this weekend. Break in 

camped at edisto last week and could have used badly. Kayaked 12 miles on ogeehcee month ago and really could have used. So happy finally have. Been looking at for few years. A lot to spend on a hat ha 

funny how we spend money. I own sebenza, BGE, just bought $165 necker, have $200+ cutting board, $120 book bag but $80 hat and takes me years to take plunge ha 
    Boom
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Bought mine probably 10 years ago on sale.  Excellent fishing hat.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    ^and I am probably poorest member on this site!!
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited June 2016
    Options
    bboulier said:
    Bought mine probably 10 years ago on sale.  Excellent fishing hat.
    I'll use for fishing, grilling, cornhole, hiking, etc

love when so many owners validate the value 
    Boom
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    My dermatologist keeps telling me that I've got to start wearing wide brim hats and long sleeved shirts, and applying sun block.  I'm meeting him part way - I wear a baseball style cap, usually with 'Spring Chicken' on it.  

I've got a case of polymorphic light eruption or solar urticaria like Eggcelsior mentioned above.  It's not pretty, but wearing a long sleeved shirt is very annoying for a lot of reasons.

I think I would wear a Tilly Hat, especially if I could get "Spring Chicken" embroidered onto it.  As for my arms, I carry a towel in the car to lay across my arm to keep the sun off.  Yes, it's annoying.  But so is having to walk around with a patchwork of pinks, reds, browns, tans and whites on my skin.

Oh, and there's that 'cancer' thing to worry about.

Spring "Of Many Colors" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i'm so pale, the sunlight ounces right off me and back into space.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I'm not cool enough to wear one of those...
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I have owned 2 Tilleys.  I wear them out on our farm. Red hair, light complexion, the sun is not kind to me. I have pretty much destroyed my first one.  Covered with grease and oil and it's beginning to come apart.  fishlessman , do you really think they will replace mine, even with all the abuse it has received? 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I'm not cool enough to wear one of those...
    my brother in law always wore a hat, before the hipsters did.

i said to him one day "that's a great hat.  i wish i could pull off wearing a hat...'

he said "everyone is self conscious wearing a hat.  trick is to pretend you aren't"

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    @Spring Chicken

you probably dont frequent high end fly fishing shops =) long sleeve patagonia bahama flats fishing shirts, light weight, vented back, vented sides, vented pits. the shirts a lifesaver when im out fishing the flats. less sweaty than a cotton tee as well. others are less expensive but i only need a couple. columbias are good too,
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/columbia-sportswear-pfg-baitcaster-fishing-shirt-upf-50-plus--long-sleeve-for-men~p~105ka/?filterString=s~fishing-shirts-long-sleeve-spf/

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

I forget people on here know so many personal details ha 

But no sir I got from the backpacker

they actually have it for $5 less than Tilley site though they didn't have camo in stock or else I would have got that. 

Tilley ever makes in real tree AP and I'll own two 

headed to kayak and camp and fish on ogeehcee River towards ocean this weekend. Break in 

camped at edisto last week and could have used badly. Kayaked 12 miles on ogeehcee month ago and really could have used. So happy finally have. Been looking at for few years. A lot to spend on a hat ha 

funny how we spend money. I own sebenza, BGE, just bought $165 necker, have $200+ cutting board, $120 book bag but $80 hat and takes me years to take plunge ha 
    Good times.....money does not equate happiness. Make some more memories this weekend....and by all means....look good in your new lid.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I need to get me one, should have had it a long time ago - taken in a lot of sun up top over the years. Dermatologist lopped off a crusty spot about a month ago and it looks like I'm now on the plan of going in for a skin check every 6-12 months...

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    I have owned 2 Tilleys.  I wear them out on our farm. Red hair, light complexion, the sun is not kind to me. I have pretty much destroyed my first one.  Covered with grease and oil and it's beginning to come apart.  fishlessman , do you really think they will replace mine, even with all the abuse it has received? 
    if you followed their directions =) your paperwork is in i think the lower clothes drawer back right, i know mines in one of those drawers =) once the stitching rots out they will replace it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    do they still make these extra wide ones? keeps my XL cool for cold smoking  =)

canuckland
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    @Spring Chicken

you probably dont frequent high end fly fishing shops =) long sleeve patagonia bahama flats fishing shirts, light weight, vented back, vented sides, vented pits. the shirts a lifesaver when im out fishing the flats. less sweaty than a cotton tee as well. others are less expensive but i only need a couple. columbias are good too,
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/columbia-sportswear-pfg-baitcaster-fishing-shirt-upf-50-plus--long-sleeve-for-men~p~105ka/?filterString=s~fishing-shirts-long-sleeve-spf/

As a matter of fact, I do frequent them and have a closet full of their sun protection type shirts which I try to wear from time to time.  I just don't like the feel of them touching my skin.  I even bought a Tilly-type hat, also guaranteed for life, about 25 years ago.  I still have it and wear it occasionally, mostly when working in the sun.  My bald head and skin is so sensitive to sunlight that even the hats and shirts with ultra-ray protection (whatever that is) do not  keep me from burning very quickly.  I can be beet red in five minutes without a shirt and in fifteen minutes wearing one.  Dr. said to wear sun screen.  Tried that too.  It just doesn't feel right on me.  So I told him I'll be coming back every year, or whenever I see something suspicious.  His job is to keep me from dying from skin cancer.  He sees something, he burns it off.  It's worked for 20 years.  

Spring "Freckle Tanned" Chicken

• morrobayrich
    morrobayrich Posts: 104
    Options
    You have to question all the "broke" folks who own an Egg.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    We're all mostly full of Bos Taurus Bovine excrement...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    eh, it is all relative

I don't hesitate to spend a lot on a knife or boots. but I hate spending more than $10 on a t-shirt or buying drinks at a bar bc of costs per drink

certain things I convince myself of value purchases and others are splurges. the value purchases can be expensive like the BGE and the splurge could be a $15 shirt ha
    Boom