Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For those that wrap their ribs.....

Options
I typically don't wrap but I thought I would change it up a little next time. Hoping for a lighter color bark. It has a tendency to be a little dark without wrapping. My question is this. For those that wrap their ribs, what do you put inside the wrap with the ribs? I've seen Honey, Brown Sugar and Parkay. Just curious if anyone found something else that worked.  

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

Comments

• Great_EGGspectations
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've added apple juice, as well as the Parkay Butter and Brown Sugar.  Wrapped a rack of back ribs just with apple juice yesterday and it was devoured by the wife person and Minis.
    Low Country EggHead
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Large BGE (2016-05) & XXL BGE (2016-11)

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

My wife likes them wrapped. when I do I just wrap. I add nothing.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    I've only done ribs a handful of times and have never added anything to the wrap. Each time I have had to be carful that the rack doesn't fall apart when I take them out to tighten up. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Arkysmokin
    Arkysmokin Posts: 124
    Options
    I think most people are doing 2-1-1 or 3-1-1 depending on what type of rib it is. I'm going to test it out soon. I don't care for mine to be falling off the bone.

XL BGE

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Yes, I do a modified 2-2-1 for BB's. I usually go 2-1.5-1.5 at 250-275. I don't like them falling apart either. I also sauce for the last 30 minutes. They have all turned out really well, except for my last time. The temp got away from me and ran hot for an extended period time. They were still tender just a touch dry. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• NERVOUS
    NERVOUS Posts: 104
    Options
    I've only used butter, brown sugar, and honey...  But like you, I'm curious to hear about other ideas too.
    Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
    "Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"
  • scgobbler
    scgobbler Posts: 3
    Options
    I used to do 3-2-1 and they are too done.

I did a 3-1.5-1 and they were still too done. I think I'm gonna try a 2-2-1 next time and then wrap when I get the color I want. I will be using Parkay, Brown Sugar, and Honey next time. 
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I don't wrap but last ribs I spritzes for the first time and they seemed not to get as dark. 
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    That's a good idea smokeyJ

XL BGE

• CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    I did to rush last night so I browned both side for 7 min a side then foiled with nothing for 2hrs the glazed for10. Came out great!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Ribs are my kryptonite. I can't nail ribs for $hit. My wife and kids like fall off the bone (eat with a fork) ribs. I just can't seem to ever get them right.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Ribs are my kryptonite. I can't nail ribs for $hit. My wife and kids like fall off the bone (eat with a fork) ribs. I just can't seem to ever get them right.
    Fall off the bone ribs are by far the easiest to produce. Just foil them and cook to about 200+ and they will fall apart. It's quite difficult to get them done and short of fall off the bone so when a knife is run through them they don't fall apart. Imo. 
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options

@shtgunal3 Do it the way I explained above...you'll get your fall off the bone ribs...:). I always use costco's 3 pack.
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I'm a 3-1-1 Baby Backer. I just ate the leftovers from my try at 5hrs naked last weekend and just a little to barky for me. tender with a good bite though....
    More meat please !! :-)
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Wrapping might work on a proper smoker, but I just can't get it right. My best results have been with Mickey's turbo ribs.....good color, tender, and with a good chew.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I always wrap, just put a little apple juice and rub in there. last slab we're definitely tender they actually folded in half  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    When I wrap I add squeeze Parkay, Brown Sugar, Honey, and some Thai Chili Sauce (Tiger) for heat.  I believe this is the same combo Frank Trigg uses and was very successful on the competitive BBQ circuit with.  The flavor is intense, very rich and sweet with a touch of heat.  
    Chicago, Illinois
  • OpusXcellent
    OpusXcellent Posts: 60
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Apple Juice + AC Vinigar + Honey + Sriracha in squirt bottle 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Too much attention to this.  Your rub should provide your flavor.  If you foil, the power of that is braising.  Compared to the rub and the finishing sauce most seem to apply, put whatever you want in the foil.  Choose flavors that complement the finished product.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @bgebrent I agree. I tried some Kubachka on a rack, the acid tenderized the heck out of them. Was not intentionally going for fall off the rib tenderness, but that stuff broke it down.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I use Sprite, citric acid in the soda helps breakdown the meat and it's a fairly low concentration. 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Mithrandir
    Mithrandir Posts: 36
    Options
    Apple juice and brown sugar. Next time, I'll try maple syrup instead of apple juice!
    Roberval, Qc, Canada
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    Alot of good recommendations. Thank you all

XL BGE