Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soft Shell Crab on the MM

Options
simple butter with lemon juice and Tabasco. 550F, quick cook but oh so good. 

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Man this one speaks to me- love some soft shells.  Great cook and something different- nice job.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • drano
    drano Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks Wolfpack!
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
     - bump -
    Because it's deserved!

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @drano Holy Mary! You just gave me an idea. I'll be eggin some soft shells real soon.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Don't remember seeing that before on the Egg. Nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @drano
    Looks awesome brother. I love soft shell crab any way that it can be prepared. I'm especially fond of them battered deep fried. Again, outstanding cook. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• drano
    Options
    Thanks all. I considered deep frying but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to fire up the MM. Another item off the Egg Bucket List. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ummm yeah if you could just bring those to me I'll see to that they're properly disposed of. :plus_one: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    @drano--making them tonight.  How long did you cook them?  I am getting some today and have cooked on a gas grill before BGE.  They looks great!  Thx
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Looks good. I've only had soft shell crab fried as part of a sandwich.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Yes sir... They look great!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Nice and simple - but pure delicious! 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • drano
    Options
    eggnewtoy, it has been almost a year since this cook so it is hard to remember but i would say cook them quick it would be easy to over cook them. Let us know how they turn out. 
  • SGH
    Options
    @eggnewtoy
    Great minds think a like. I'm making them tonight myself. Haven't got to cook in over 2 months due to work. However I'm a free man now and I'm going to take full advantage of it. I scored these at work a few days ago. 

I'm going to deep fry a dozen and grill a dozen. There is a million different ways that you can grill and/or smoke them. You asked about cook time, it would be hard to give you an exact cook time. But for reference, I cook them on my mighty mini one at a time at 400-450 degrees direct for right at 3 minutes a side when running 450 degrees. Your temp, setup (direct, raised direct & indirect) will all impact how long it takes. Here is a general rule of guide if you are going to cook them indirect. At a steady 400 degrees, medium soft shells will take no longer than 8 minutes. For the large ones, add a minute or two if need be. For that little something extra, I baste them constantly with melted butter during the cook. 
    Good luck with the soft shells. Can't wait to see them. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    I wish I were Neighbor of SGH. :o
  • SGH
    Options
    drano said:
     it has been almost a year since this cook 
    That^^^^^^^may be true. But it sure is worthy of a second look. It looked great a year ago and it looks great today. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    I wish I were Neighbor of SGH. 
    I wish that you were too my friend. I really enjoy the company of those who like to eat and eat large. 

Status- Standing by.

• Troykahack
    Troykahack Posts: 38
    Options
    Soft Shells are my favorite
    LBGE May 2016
    Ormond Beach, FL
  • SGH
    Options
    Soft Shells are my favorite
    They are one of my personal favorites as well. I like to lightly sprinkle them with Old Bay, coat them with fish fry and deep fry them. Pure heaven. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @drano
    Sorry for hijacking. 

Status- Standing by.

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Bravo! Live soft shell crabs and wish I could get them here. I've only fried, never tried grilling...you just brushed with butter?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • drano
    Options
    Damn those look GOOD!!!
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Love those little devils!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• SGH
    Options
    Scott805 said:
    Love those little devils!
    I do too my friend. For the record, if I had Rons money I would eat them everyday ;)

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great cooks!!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @SGH @bgebrent @drano Game on.  Making them on mmm at 450 with mixture of lemon, butter, hot sauce, salt pepper, a little duck fat because what the heck.  With fried rice and something green.  Will post pix.  Made them a lot on the Genesis gas grill so ready to rumble.  My faves no matter how prepared.  Enjoy and thanks for the help.
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I know I am just a yankee heathen...but do y'all just eat the guts and everything?  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I know I am just a yankee heathen...but do y'all just eat the guts and everything?  
    Everything. Sweet and delicious.  Btw, I'm a "damned Yankee". 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    so reproductive organs, eyes, butthole, intestines and contents, everything?

All that would normally be considered 'offal' doesn't render a weird taste?  
    What is the texture like?

There are places around here that have them, but this seems like it would be better to try somewhere other than 1500 miles from the ocean?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options