Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I don't really need it - I think I still want it - Somebody talk me down off the ledge.

Options
Recently I posted about a possible crack in my XL and the great customer service/support I received from my dealer.  I also posted that we had a discussion about his pricing on the Mini-Max, as I had seen it for less at another local dealer.  He said "When you are ready let me know and I will make you a deal".

Well I asked him about his "deal" yesterday and he told me I could buy it for $449.00.  First thing I thought was "okay, now I am screwed.  How can I turn this down?"

I have an XL and a Medium and use them both pretty equally.  I just can't shake the thought that this seems like really great deal and I shouldn't pass it up.

I know that this place is great in helping others spend their money, but I have an "Eggdiction" and I am powerless to control it.
Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    If the bills get paid and everyone has shoes, why not? It's not like it will not get used or go bad or depreciate. Heck, I've spent more on one dinner for four. Now if you just bought a boat or a Harley last week, then that's different--her turn.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I have the same combo as you and have been in the same predicament. I simply can't justify enough use out of a MM to warrant purchasing one. Step away from the ledge...
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    You have to get it!!!!
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    But seriously, that seems like a pretty good buy. If you are somewhat interested, and it sounds like you are then take the plunge. Honestly, you will love it. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    Just a thought, if you think you will use it, get it. If you end up not getting the use out of it, you should be able to flip it on eBay or Craigslist and get most of your money back. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Best price for a MM that I've heard about. 

Buy. It. Now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    for that price i would have bought it over the kj jr!
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    You're asking THIS crowd to talk you out of buying something???? Good luck with that. We're a bunch of enablers here...
    I say get it. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    That's a great price for a MM. Is that including platesetter,  etc? 

Question is do you want or would use it? 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I have an XL,  a medium, and a mini-max.  I use them all.  Also, $449 and you didn't buy it yet?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Get the minimax.  There are some things in life that you want so bad you actually develop a need for them.  Get it and be happy....
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    I bought mine for $489 with the platesetter included and thought I got a great deal.  You must buy it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just my $.02 but I think it comes down to whether or not you have a need to go portable with it.  That is really the only advantage over your medium.  If you don't see yourself taking it camping, tailgating, vacation, etc then I wouldn't get it. 

I suppose you could take it a step further and ask yourself how often you would do this.  If it is once a year, just take the guts out of your medium and lug it with you. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Just my $.02 but I think it comes down to whether or not you have a need to go portable with it.  That is really the only advantage over your medium.  If you don't see yourself taking it camping, tailgating, vacation, etc then I wouldn't get it. 

I suppose you could take it a step further and ask yourself how often you would do this.  If it is once a year, just take the guts out of your medium and lug it with you. 
    +1

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    You probably won't get it any cheaper even if the plate setter isn't included. I love mine, it is great when I cook for just the wife and I. It hardly uses any lump.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. 

I guess part of my issue is that right now I am on the fence about selling my Motorhome. No doubt it would travel on every trip I would take.

Being on the fence is all about my currently going through Chemo therapy and I have 4 treatments left. So no trips until the end of August. And now is the perfect time to sell it.

Decisions-decisions. Nothing about being an Egghead is ever easy I guess.

SWMBO says buy the damn thing, you have cancer, it can't be cured-only delayed, so live how you want, live for now.

Of course this is coming from the person that just bought a corvette because she had wanted a two seat, convertible sports car for 30 years. And it was a great deal.

CRAP, back on the fence again.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If you can afford it and will use It I say go for it.  I wish I would have bought the little knock off Kahuna I bought and saved my money.  I bought it hoping it would be faster and easy to move around, wrong.  The only good thing is it doesn't use much lump.  I would love a MM or a Small to go with my XL.  But I have my sites a GoodOne Marshall or something like it that I can travel with to compete or do catering with.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    If SWMBO says that you can buy it what are you waiting for Hope your chemo treatments go well for you
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I paid $500 from my dealer for a MM on a whim, and afterward I decided that I really didn't need it, so I sold it on Craigslist in 1 day for the $500. Easy come, easy go! I say go for it! Best of luck to you with your treatments.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Sonny3 said:

SWMBO says buy the damn thing, you have cancer, it can't be cured-only delayed, so live how you want, live for now.

That there is a smart woman.

I haven't had the "C" scare, but through other circumstances in my/our life that is the mantra we go by.

#fuckcancer

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Jump! Buy it!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• GrillinEggHead
    Options
    I say get it, because it will get used and it is a great price!!!!!
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    If you can cashflow it, don't go into debt  or dip into savings go for it.....
  • Troykahack
    Troykahack Posts: 38
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Your from Titusville, PM the dealer so I can get one.  I still have a house there.

Thanks
    LBGE May 2016
    Ormond Beach, FL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    JUMP!!!

Flint, Michigan
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    It will just sting for a second^^^^^^^
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    If it's another egg for the yard, I vote for a small.  If you want it for travelling, weber jumbo joe and some more accessories for your eggs.
    Phoenix 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Lol.  You're asking this group to talk you out of spending money?!  Good luck....
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    For that price, if it will fit in the Vette, buy two!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis - I'd say get it for the trips you'll take after your chemo treatments are done! I hope you'll post a cook or two :-) 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf