Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burn Out/Down

Options
Hi All -

From time to time, i have opened all the vents and let my egg go to basically clean the inside of it.  Has always been amazing that it can basically clean itself on top of everything else it can do.  

After my cook, i topped it off with coal, opened all the vents, and walked away.  This morning, i go to shut the vents down and notice some things that are off.

1 - My thermometer is now stuck at 200 degrees
2 - i left my top vent cap inside of the egg as it had some crusted on food, and now it's almost completely rusty.
3 - 1/2 my seal absolutely disintegrated.  When i opened the lid, it literally turned to ash before my eyes, and blew away. 

Did i do something wrong?  Was i too aggressive?  I hit about 1200 degrees by my estimation, but didn't think that was an issue. 

Looking forward to hearing some feedback.  Also, will BGE replace the parts that failed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Oh boy.  Prepare yourself for the replies.  IMO, a little aggressive.  The daisy wheel has been stripped clean, just spray with oil and heat it up, like a cast iron pan.  It will be fine.  You should look into getting a new gasket, contact Ron, RRP, for a permanent one.  You may have fried the thermometer too.  See if you can recalibrate it, but I may not trust it going forward.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm pretty sure 500-600 degrees for an hour or so would have cleaned up anything that needed it.  1200 was rather aggressive - and you don't know how long it stayed at that temp.  Just unnecessary.  I've had my large for 20 years and never had to do that.  Sorry.  And no, I don't think BGE is going to replace anything.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Buy a BGE Tel Tru.
    Buy a Smokeware cap.
    Buy a Rutland gasket from Ron.
    Buy some Permatex Ulta Copper from an auto parts store.
    Buy some Mineral Spirits or Acetone from a big box to remove old gasket.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Balls-out method of cleaning out.  Yep, you stripped the seasoning off the daisy.  Spray with Pam spray and wipe it down and treat it like a CI pan.  That's the flash rust from it getting stripped.

Always pull the thermo when doing something like a cleanout burn.  It might just have to be recalibrated.  Use a google or youtube search....

Felt gaskets don't like that high heat; Not much like that much heat.  Calling @RRP - this cat needs a Rutland ASAP!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Focker said:
    Buy a BGE Tel Tru.
    Buy a Smokeware cap.
    Buy some Mineral Spirits from a big box to remove old gasket.
    Follow these steps, and you will end up better than you started.
    NOLA
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options

Absolutely no need to go full Chernobyl to clean the Egg, as you have discovered. You will need a new thermometer and a new gasket. The daisy wheel will be fine once you clean and re-season it. Be sure to check the bands for tightness after this melt down. They might be loose.

I doubt BGE will cover this repair.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Why would BGE cover it?  Or, why would you expect them to cover it?

1200 isn't bad.  I've pegged my egg so many times cooking pizza, the Tel Tru and Rutland have held up fine.  No cracks, not even the firebox.

After the gasket change, you will need an alignment.

Changing a gasket is an egghead rite of passage.  Have fun.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited June 2016
    Options
    As said, better to pull the thermostat when doing a "clean-burn" and the DFMT will look like new with a light coating of cooking oil (and "seasoned" in the egg at about 300°)

As far as the gasket, did you have an old-style felt gasket, or the newer high-temp Nomex gasket?  (You can get a Nomex gasket here: http://smokeware.com/collections/nomex-replacement-gaskets)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    you burnt the paint off the daisy, its not a big deal. dont know if your thermo can be calibrated as i dont have a newer one by bge, you turn the nut on back and recalibrate in boiling water. my gasket burnt off long ago and i didnt replace it, if you need one contact ron for the rutland uprade, he sells them at cost with install directions. i cook at these temps, becarefull opening the dome at these temps as the bands expand and loosen, might want to retighten them now as well. the ceramics hold up at these temps, bge has even dowsed 1200 degree eggs with water, i might not try that =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Reading this post here @ work over a piping hot cup of Joe ... this post was actually better than the sports section today. Thanks @82c52ksl  ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    82c52ksl said:
    Hi All -

Also, will BGE replace the parts that failed?

The "parts" failed?  Hmmm.   =)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Tony_T
    Options
    If the Fire Box, Fire RIng, base or lid cracked from the high temp it will be covered under warranty.  Not the gasket.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Reading this post here @ work over a piping hot cup of Joe ... this post was actually better than the sports section today. Thanks @82c52ksl  ...
    LOL  =)

New Albany, Ohio 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Focker said:
    Buy a BGE Tel Tru.
    Buy a Smokeware cap.
    You forgot buy an AR, call bruce, and cook a spatchcock chicken. 

Little Rock, AR

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    So you used it for a cook, reloaded it with lump, opened it up and went to bed?  :|
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I'm just glad your house or deck didn't catch on fire! 
    Snellville, GA

• 82c52ksl
    82c52ksl Posts: 19
    Options
    yljkt said:
    So you used it for a cook, reloaded it with lump, opened it up and went to bed?  :|
    Have done it before with no adverse effects.
  • 82c52ksl
    Options
    Why would it catch on fire exactly?
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Smokeware cap? For what? If you attempt to reseason the DW it will need more than one coating...it will still rust. Take it apart, wire wheel it and,hit it with some high heat paint. 
    Clean burns...only thing I have ever noticed is it cleans the firebox, where ever g fire was actually hitting it hard...
    But I know next to nothing...just ask some folks here....so take my words lightly.....
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Focker said:
    Buy a BGE Tel Tru.
    Buy a Smokeware cap.
    You forgot buy an AR, call bruce, and cook a spatchcock chicken. 
    And don't forget....you NEED a Kick Ash Basket...can't live without it...
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    82c52ksl said:
    If your Egg happens to crack all the way around and lump falls out? 

Check out this thread - 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1521572/#Comment_1521572

Now he had his in a table; you haven't said how your Egg is positioned - in a table or a nest.  Still, the same could happen with the amount of heat the Egg is throwing off when it's rocking at 1200*.

At the end of the day, you're an adult and can make your own decisions and decide if it's OK to leave a 1200* fire unsupervised while you go to bed.  I just tend to err on the side of caution.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    Options
    How long do you reckon a LBGE will burn with a full load balls out?
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing, @Captain_Paul.....  I'd say at least 6 hours at that nuclear level.....  Enough to make me not want to do it.  I'll stick to 5-600 for an hour or two to clean up the gunk.

But now you have me thinking about a timelapse of the thermo and the afterburner fire........

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Tony_T
    Options
    How long do you reckon a LBGE will burn with a full load balls out?
    Just did it — 4 hrs
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited June 2016
    Options
    82c52ksl said:
    yljkt said:
    Have done it before with no adverse effects.
    And now you know that there ARE adverse effects to going balls out Chernobyl. Why would anyone want to do that in the first place? A well used and loved Egg will never be the pristine ivory color it was before first burn, and unless the gunk is falling off of the dome in sheets onto your food, there's no need to clean. 

My Egg gets used 3 to 5 times a week for over a year now. I've cleaned the inside of the dome just a few times with balled up aluminum foil....clean, but not pristine. 

There are too many stories of cracked bases and fried gaskets with wide open nuclear Eggs. They are fairly expensive cookers. Why risk damaging them? 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    82c52ksl said:
    Read the above. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Exactly what I was thinking.  :|
  • 82c52ksl
    Options
    I came back to the forum to find my cobbler recipe for tonight, and was reminded of this post.  

To those that actually gave good information, and feedback, thank you.  

To the others that felt the need to flex their BGE muscles, and troll, you're excused.  

Update: BGE replaced my daisy wheel, and my thermo for free - no hassle at all.  Walked in for a class, asked, and was handed the parts.  It took a total of 30 seconds.

Replaced my gasket with Nomex - super easy.  No worries.

BGE is back up and running.