Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey for Xmas..breast up or down.

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A couple of questions on the cooking procedure!
V Rack, drip pan, turkey uncovered breast side up...does that pretty much cover it or no?
Still no firebricks so can I put the drip pan on my pizza stone so`s I can use the dripping for gravy?
any help is appreciated..
Mop!

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mop,[p]It sounds like a good plan. A pizza stone is a firebrick, just shaped more to your Egg.[p]Happy Holidays,
    Spin

• alternity
    Options
    Mop,
    sounds good, but on teh other hand teh smoke may make teh gravy too smokey flovored. I was thinking of catching drippings on my christmas bird..but may opt not to and go without or use store bought.
    Just my 2 cents worth[p]Merry Xmas
    Your ol pal Alt[p]

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Good point Alt, I wansn`t going to use any smoke wood while cooking the bird....I was hoping that the lump itself would impart more than enough smoke.....
    thanks..[p]MoP!

• alternity
    Options
    Mop,
    interesting..I have some Natures Own brand from canada which is wonderful and really would almost add enough smoke. But I have to add some cherry wood and hickory and oak. good thing you mentioned it as I will probably use sparingly now.[p]peace

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    alternity,[p]If you smoke early in the cook (hard, short smoke - while the Egg is heating up), you can apply a smoke flavoring to the bird and avoid "smoking" the gravy as it drips out later.[p]Spin
  • CaptainBBQ
    Options
    Mop,[p]For what it is worth.... Did a Turkey at Thanksgiving. Used Pecan wood. Put the turkey in at about 150 degrees. Protected the drippings with fire brick. The gravy took on a very light smoke flavor. This flavor complemented the meat perfectly....everyone made a special comment on the good gravy. I would suggest trying it. I think you will love it![p]CaptainBBQ