Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Chuck Roast Cook

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
I've been wanting to try this for a while now and I read a few other threads before trying this cook for guidance. Rubbed with garlic infused olive oil seasoned with Lawry's. For smoke I did a 50/50 split of maple and pecan chunks. Had it in the egg at 9this AM, put it in an aluminum pan and covered at noon. Had a can of beer minced garlic salt and pepper in the pan. By 2PM it was probing like "buttah" and shredded nicely. It was temping 208ish. Going to keep it warm in a crock pot and serve with mashed potatoes and gravey. Leftovers will be used in tomorrow's chili cook!

Next time @Griffin I will do Mexican style for tacos!
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• Hans61
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Very solid cook my friend. Well played.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Great cook right there-nailed it.  A banquet awaits.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Looks awesome! Did you do it at 250° the whole time? 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great cook!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hans61
    Options
    Jameson19 said:
    Looks awesome! Did you do it at 250° the whole time? 
    My dome temp was at 295 and after putting in the foil was 310.
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    I don't like it.....I LOVE IT!!!!  I have one in the freezer I'm going to try for fathers day
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Hans61
    Options
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Awesome job on the Chuckie!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice! Live chuckies!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Melt in your mouth! 

I do a Pot Roast w/ chuck in a dutch oven in the cooler months but this I must now try!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Hans61
    Options
    I think my crock pot even on warm cooked it a little because after 3 hours on warm some of the bites had more of chew than the samples I had while pulling.  All in all I'll definitely do this again but next time try and get my timing better!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great cook brother!  Knocked out in round 1!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    @Hans61  >> Had a can of beer minced garlic salt and pepper in the pan.

What did you think of that pan mixture? 
  • Hans61
    Options
    @Sweet100s I wouldn't add salt the next time. The lawrys made it salty enough. Otherwise really liked it! 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    The best advice I read in the previous threads before I did this cook was not to go by temp but to go by feel.

I thought it was done an hour before it was. I took the foil off the top and tried to shred with two forks and it wouldn't go. (I read a threads where the guy was having trouble getting his chuckies to pull) so I knew what to do, I put the foil back on top and put it back in the egg and checked half an hour later, was closer but not quite there - process repeat and then it was done!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks like you nailed that one!!   I really like pulled beef and when done correctly it is much better than pulled pork. IMO. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    The chuckies are awesome and you certainly did this one justice. The leftovers are awesome, too, and you plan for that sounds great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Hans61
    Options
    The chuckies are awesome and you certainly did this one justice. The leftovers are awesome, too, and you plan for that sounds great.
    Thank you!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That looks awesome!  Had to be way better than just letting it roll in the crock pot all day.  Fantastic!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Perfect cook. I love making beef stew with these. Delicious!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky