Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

Options

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Next thing you know @Hotch with be going to their gatherings. ☺brother hotch what deep-fryer do you use? 

@texaswig That would be the R and V Cajun Fryer FF2-R 4 Gal model.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @Hotch Yes sir. That's the one I've been wanting. When I comes time who should I get it from? 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hotch
    Options
    I bought it from R & V at the Athens Eggfest a few years back. They now have a lot of resellers. Just Goggle it. I would look at the 6 gal. You can do a turkey in it.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • texaswig
    Options
    @Hotch That was gonna be my next question. Thanks

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hotch
    Options

@texaswig You are welcome to come check it out. Just let me know next time you are on this end of TX380.

We just got back from the Texas Mega Bash in Belton with the BBQ Brethen. We fried some chicken fried bacon, chicken fried pig cakes, our creamy hush puppies and the best was Deep Fried Bourbon shooters with a Maple Syrup, chocolate and Bourbon Drizzle.

Had to feed the fix since we could not make Brisket Camp.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Hotch said:

@texaswig You are welcome to come check it out. Just let me know next time you are on this end of TX380.

We just got back from the Texas Mega Bash in Belton with the BBQ Brethen. We fried some chicken fried bacon, chicken fried pig cakes, our creamy hush puppies and the best was Deep Fried Bourbon shooters with a Maple Syrup, chocolate and Bourbon Drizzle.

I saw the pics. Looks like ya'll had fun.  Those fryers have been catching my eye for a while. I just don't deep fry enough to justify it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • texaswig
    Options
    @Hotch I also seen the pics. Sounds like some cool stuff. I think I want one for entertaining . Have a little fry party. You can cook for alot of people fast. We should try to make plans to meet one Saturday for lunch or something. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hotch
    Options
    texaswig said:
    @Hotch I also seen the pics. Sounds like some cool stuff. I think I want one for entertaining . Have a little fry party. You can cook for alot of people fast. We should try to make plans to meet one Saturday for lunch or something. 
    @texaswig You got it. Send me a p.m. sometime next week and we can work out the time.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Now this thread is even more like a secrect club. The notifications are still on but it's not bumping. If you aren't subscribed you'll never know what happens here.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Options
    Hotch said:

Hotch, it was great meeting all y'all this weekend. Kelley (EggObsessed) told me to check this site so here I am. (Been married 28 years so when women tell me to do something I comply, 'cept when I don't hear it). It was fun to check out that Blackstone that Chris brought.

So now my Christmas list for Santa has a MiniMax, R and V Cajun Fryer and a Blackstone and I'm afraid my good behavior this year will barely merit a box of Weber cubes.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• Hotch
    Options

Hotch, it was great meeting all y'all this weekend. Kelley (EggObsessed) told me to check this site so here I am. (Been married 28 years so when women tell me to do something I comply, 'cept when I don't hear it). It was fun to check out that Blackstone that Chris brought.

So now my Christmas list for Santa has a MiniMax, R and V Cajun Fryer and a Blackstone and I'm afraid my good behavior this year will barely merit a box of Weber cubes.

@frognot It was nice meeting you and hang out for the day.

And welcome to the herd.

We had a blast and hope to keep it going with a Bash every 6 months. I'm sure we can get a few more from this forum to jump in. After all Q is Q.

Shelly and I were talking about having a Mini Bash at the house for those close by. If interested let me know.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    edited October 2015
    Options

I saw the pics. Looks like ya'll had fun.  Those fryers have been catching my eye for a while. I just don't deep fry enough to justify it.

@Thatgrimguy Yep that is what we said. But take a look at this!

Your imagination with a deep fryer will take the lead as it does with the Blackstone and the Egg. Just think you can have State Fair of Texas money makers anytime you want. And @texaswig is correct about putting out good HOT grub fairly quick.

Did I mention the Deep Fried Bourbon Shooters.

Angle Food Cake cubes soaked in Bourbon with a Maple Syrup, Chocolate and Bourbon drizzle!

It is truly fun with food.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • texaswig
    Options
    @Hotch what tasty looking sandwich is that? 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hotch
    Options

@texaswig That is a Pig Cake. Pulled Pork in cream cheese with a boat load of spices, and a little sorghum. With our tequila lime BBQ sauce on the bun and a creamy coleslaw on top with the a little more sorghum drizzle. This time I chicken fried them. Way better than pan fry with panko.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • texaswig
    Options
    @Hotch Oh man!  Does that ever sound awesome. That's really something different. I bet people flip out over it.you should enter it in the state fair.  Your really getting me fryer pumped. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hotch
    Options
    @texaswig That little slider will make your eyes roll back in your head!!!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited October 2015
    Options
    That's ridiculous @Hotch and now I think I have to get a damn deep fryer so I can make one!
  • Hotch
    Options

@Thatgrimguy Wait till you make deep fried beef bologna cubes or home made potato chips or fresh tortilla chips and salsa. They are great!!

Who would have known you could have so much fun with oil.......... 

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Options
    Hotch said:

@frognot It was nice meeting you and hang out for the day.

And welcome to the herd.

We had a blast and hope to keep it going with a Bash every 6 months. I'm sure we can get a few more from this forum to jump in. After all Q is Q.

Shelly and I were talking about having a Mini Bash at the house for those close by. If interested let me know.

Hotch, that would be awesome. I figure that if my wife tried some of y'all's goodies she would understand my need for a MiniMax and a Cajun Fryer. 

Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• Hotch
    Options

Well we can work on that. I'll see what date we can come up with.

Would like to do this while it is cool outside.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Bum
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    P

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Bump.  About to pull the trigger on one whether the wife approves or not.  
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Get you one!!  But unfortunately this has been semi buffalo'd.  It exists but never to be bumped again.
  • Hotch
    Options
    You will enjoy it. We did pancakes and bacon with the grandkids Easter morning.
    It truly is a game changer!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • eggingitup
    Options
    The rice looks awesome!  

I just picked mine up from Home Depot.  Probably just gonna season it this evening...maybe a grilled cheese or two for a snack before bed. 

Congrats!!  Someone on bbq brethren asked me about seasoning. Hope this helps you too. 

- I used 2 methods. One from my cast iron experience and one from my wok experience.

First clean the griddle. Soap, scrub, then pour boiling water over it till it's perfectly clean. 

Crank it up to high and get it bone dry. I took some paper towel and held it with a long set of tongs. I used Ghee, you can use coconut oil or Flax Seed oil (if you can find it) and if you can't find any of that, go for vegetable oil. The goal is to find the oil with the highest smoke point. So once it's baked on, it can take the most heat.

So with the griddle hot as hell and still getting hotter, I throw a significant amount of oil on the griddle and start rubbing it around the metal. Being very sure to get every piece of exposed metal (including the back wall and the outside of the wall.) The oil will smoke like fire. This is good. It's going past the smoke point and laying down that nice nonstick surface. 

This process takes every bit of 30 minutes to do right. Just keep a thin (as thin as possible) layer of oil over the hot griddle and let it smoke. You really need to be careful not to let any oil puddle up during this. We want a thin consistent layer of oil over the entire surface. I went through a lot of paper towel during the process. Put oil down, then wipe it up and spread it around. It will start turning black in the middle. Once you have a nice looking blackish surface let it cool down and wipe up the residual oil layer. Let it cool COMPLETELY.

Then come back for round 2. Preheat the griddle (don't add oil yet) to a little over low heat. Chop up a bunch of onions and throw them on the hot griddle. Then put some oil on the onions and start sauteeing them. Move them all over the grill with plenty of oil. Rub them all over the surface. Everywhere. Let them go till they are black and nasty. I took at least another half hour to do this. We want to make sure there is no metallic flavor left and finish up the seasoning. These onions get tossed and we are ready to make real food!!!

I wanted to really seal in this seasoning layer, so I started with lots of bacon. The bacon grease just adds to the layer and off I went. Mine is working like I've had it for years even though I just assembled it last night.

Hope this helps, I have done a lot of research on seasoning techniques when I went on a Griswold shopping spree!
    Options
    Can you put pots on this? For sauces or a stock pot. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Yes. It'll get to 400+ degrees.  May take a while for heat to transfer but it will work
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Bhinky
    Bhinky Posts: 8
    Options
    Sorry to revive an old thread but I just got my Blackstone 36" Griddle last week and I LOVE IT!! I just had to share lol.