Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How important is it for meat to be at room temp before egging?

2»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    4Runner said:
    he doesn't say it isn't important, he says it's not really possible to leave it out and get to room temp. which is true

you still want to cook it in a way that creates an even cross section.
    I just think there are better ways than sitting it on the counter. Hot tubbing, reverse sear, sous vide, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    exactly.  as do i (which is why i spent so much time trying to explain it).

my point was that it is a myth that leaving it on the counter will get it to room temp (these days), but that the idea is based in reality.  people DID leave meat out for a long while.  not so since we have fridges and freezers.

the "leave it out til room temp" was actually the practice.  but not in today's world where the idea is unimaginable, and people are impatient and germophobic too boot.

so we achieve the even temp in other ways. all of which are frankly easier and better,
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    edited June 2016
    I don't intentionally leave meat out until room temp, however by the time I pull out of the fridge and get the egg running and temp stabilized, my meat will set for 45 minutes or more. 
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Lit said:
    As others have stated, I think it depends on the thickness of the meat you are cooking. For steaks, I let them come to room temp to ensure a proper sear (a few friends who are professional chefs have recommend this to me). For larger cuts (e.g., brisket, butt, etc,), I like them cold such that they develop good smoke.like most things BBQ, I don't think there is a "right" way, but this is what has worked for me.
    This is not true at all leave a steak out on the counter for an hour and check your internal temp it hardly moves only the outside gets warmer which is the opposite of what you are trying to achieve. 
    Lit: "...outside gets warmer..." - hence my comment about thickness being the biggest factor (i.e., thinner steak will get warmer internal temp than a thicker one during the same period, as it has more meat on the surface area in proportion to its overall size). I have not claimed that this is the best way nor the "right" way; only that this is the way that has worked best for me.

Gotta love posts that start "this is not true at all" (especially in a response to a post about a method utilized, as opposed to a statement about a method purported to be that which is "correct").

Glad some of us on this forum have all the answers. ;)

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited June 2016
    4Runner said:
    he doesn't say it isn't important, he says it's not really possible to leave it out and get to room temp. which is true

you still want to cook it in a way that creates an even cross section.
    I'll say it then.  Not important.  I'm in the Adam Perry Lang camp on this one.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Seems like there is a bit of clarification needed. A thick roast, or a big carcass turkey are way different than a slab of ribs, or a pork tenderloin. There's a couple of hours of safe time for thin stuff. Possibly enough to get all of it to 74-ish. The thicker pieces won't warm fast enough in air. Water baths even temp a lot faster than air, better approach.

If an evenly heated roast is desired, then the whole of the mass should start at the same temp. If searing something smaller, an even temp is also a good thing, but probably not as important as cooking a turkey breast, and having the outside well done, and the inside less then medium.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Lit said:
    As others have stated, I think it depends on the thickness of the meat you are cooking. For steaks, I let them come to room temp to ensure a proper sear (a few friends who are professional chefs have recommend this to me). For larger cuts (e.g., brisket, butt, etc,), I like them cold such that they develop good smoke.like most things BBQ, I don't think there is a "right" way, but this is what has worked for me.
    This is not true at all leave a steak out on the counter for an hour and check your internal temp it hardly moves only the outside gets warmer which is the opposite of what you are trying to achieve. 
    Lit: "...outside gets warmer..." - hence my comment about thickness being the biggest factor (i.e., thinner steak will get warmer internal temp than a thicker one during the same period, as it has more meat on the surface area in proportion to its overall size). I have not claimed that this is the best way nor the "right" way; only that this is the way that has worked best for me.

Gotta love posts that start "this is not true at all" (especially in a response to a post about a method utilized, as opposed to a statement about a method purported to be that which is "correct").

Glad some of us on this forum have all the answers. ;)

You stated for steaks I let them come to room temperature. To let a 1" steak come to room temperature from the fridge would probably take 6 hours. I have tested it on thin 1" steaks and after an hour the internal temp barely rises. The method you are posting shows you have no clue what you are talking about and your professional chef friends probably shouldn't be giving advice and your butt hurt now cause you've been doing it all wrong the whole time. Leaving a steak out on the counter to get to room temp is actually doing the exact opposite of what you want you want the internal and external temp to rise and be as close as possible. You are making the out side temp rise and the inside temp barely rise. See how that's not smart? Search the hot tub method on here and invite your professional chef friends over for a steak and you can give them advice.
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Pro with servsafe certification here.  

If the health inspector walks in and sees steaks sitting out between 41F and 132F, you're getting fined.  There's no way in hell professionals let steaks sit out that long before firing.  If you don't sell them, it's not like you can just re-refrigerate them and call it a day.  In the food biz, $$$ talks.  That means those expensive dry aged steaks (which are half rotten anyway) don't sit out for more than 60 minutes, and there's no way they're reaching 74F in that time.

Steak is mostly water.  Water is an insulator.  Sit a glass of ice water at 35F on your counter for 3 hours and it'll still be tepid.  

Leaving your steak out is stupid.  Having an even temperature throughout is not.  But those aren't the same thing.  What's even the point?  At 75F, a steak is closer to 35F than 135F .  Your room temperature steak is closer to frozen than to cooked.  So why not start from cold where you're sure there's no pathogen growth and you've got an consistent temp throughout via the refrigerator?

Stan
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Throwing down a Servsafe Cert, is as meaningful, or better yet, as meaningless...
    as throwing down a KCBS Cert.  

Just sayin Pro. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Everything above is heretical, especially the spew from @Darby_Crenshaw.  If your meat has not reached room temperature on a counter the meal is lost.  Servsafe approved. ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Focker said:
    Throwing down a Servsafe Cert, is as meaningful, or better yet, as meaningless...

Just sayin Pro. 
    I'm a KCBS certified judge...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    gmac said:
    .....not to forget mentioning a counter surfing dog. 
    This A$$hole took 1/2 a roast of the counter last night. Surprised he's still alive but ultimately it's the kids fault for leaving it out...
    Hey man, just doing his job, it is the only job he is really good at and this economy, you take what you can get!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    DMW said:
    Focker said:

Just sayin Pro. 
    I'm a KCBS certified judge...
    I certified you as a KCBS certified judge...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    gmac said:
    This A$$hole took 1/2 a roast of the counter last night. Surprised he's still alive but ultimately it's the kids fault for leaving it out...
    Hilarious!!!  My Golden Retreiver helped herself to almost 3 lbs of delicious Tri-Tip off the counter about a month ago.  I just brought it in off the egg, let it rest, cut one slice off to sample and it was heaven on a plate.  Got sidetracked by my 9 year old son for 2 minutes and 2 bites later, the Tri-Tip was gone.  Tombstone for supper!!
    XL BGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Room temp stuff is the same as vacuuming your ashes, a total myth. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gmac said:
    Hey man, just doing his job, it is the only job he is really good at and this economy, you take what you can get!
    Love it!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    gmac said:
    What is the breed. Cool fellow
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Fridge temp, like the appearance of smoke ring. And I agree with Lit

Lit said:
    leave a steak out on the counter for an hour and check your internal temp it hardly moves only the outside gets warmer which is the opposite of what you are trying to achieve. 

Phoenix 
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Focker said:

Just sayin Pro. 
    Ha. Way to miss the forest on account of a tree. 

Just sayin Amateur. 
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Potential this thread has...