Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket sizes

Options
Never cooked a brisket before and I was hoping to do so this weekend.  Just called my local butchers and both only have 11-12lb'ers.  And will only sell me the whole thing.  Is this the standard size and protocol?  It's only me here (my girlfriend is vegan :o ) so cooking 12lbs of meat is a bit much for me.  I guess the other option is freezing half of it but I really hate freezing meat.  Is this a viable option?  Or should I not freeze it?

Also, ya'all have a favorite recipe I could use?  :)

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Sounds about right for a full packer.  If you don't like freezing meat, how about freezing chili.  I routinely make large batches of brisket chili and keep that in the freezer for quick dinners/lunches, etc.

Also, I know folks around here have brought meat to fire departments/police departments/etc.  that could be an option too.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    If your brisket turns out like most of the brisket cooks on this forum, don't worry bout the overage - you gonna have a whole bunch of new friends...similar to buying a new boat!!  Cook the whole thing and the rest will sort itself out....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree cook the whole thing.  Leftover brisket freezes well (especially if you have a food saver).  I like to just chop up both the point and flat and mix them so you end up with a good ratio of flat and lean.  The chop makes an excellent sammich or taco and as mentioned it is incredible in chili.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    I didn't even know there was a flat and a point.  I looked it all up online and understand now.  Thanks.  I was in Costco today and they had flats for sale.  Without the "point" they were closer to a reasonable size for me: 6-8lbs.  Is there a disadvantage to cooking just the flat?
  • tonkaegger
    tonkaegger Posts: 35
    Options
    Yes but it can be managed  As many more knowledgeable than I will tell you, the flat will dry out much faster than the point, or the whole packer-cut brisket.  If you cook just the flat, you should plan on wrapping in foil or butcher paper at @160 degrees internal temp.  I personally think foil works better for a flat-only cook.
    Twin Cities, Minn. XL BGE, cheap barrel smoker and old Weber kettle

• CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    pasoegg said:
    If your brisket turns out like most of the brisket cooks on this forum, don't worry bout the overage - you gonna have a whole bunch of new friends...similar to buying a new boat!!  Cook the whole thing and the rest will sort itself out....
    Great point... look on Youtube for tips...I really like Aaron Franklin's guidance.  You can learn a lot from his videos.  Remember to cut against the grain on the flat...and for the point you need to cut it opposite of the flat.  You'll see in the videos.  Also since it does dry out...only cut what you are going to eat. Great for the next several days out of the fridge.  You are going to love it...enjoy!! 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    ....Just called my local butchers and both only have 11-12lb'ers.  And will only sell me the whole thing.  Is this the standard size and protocol? ....
    Stop in to see your local butcher in person.  Around here, brisket flats are much more popular than the points.  Your butcher may be assuming that you want a flat. If he splits the whole brisket and you take the flat, he will be left with a point that may not sell.  If you take the point, he will be left with a flat that he should have no problem selling.  I much prefer the point to the flat. Yes the flat has nice pretty slices, but I find the point to be better in flavor and moisture.  My local butcher will split a whole brisket. He sells the flat for about $2/lb more than than a whole and the point for about $2/lb less than the whole.  If you are willing to get the point, your local butcher should be willing to split it for you. If your local butcher is not going to make custom cuts, you may as well buy from the mass market.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    Thanks for all the info guys.  Where do you get your butcher paper?  I see it online but are there any standard local stores that carry it?
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Many "craft" stores like Michael's carry various types of paper that will work. I did get mine from Amazon.

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want