Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

the new guy

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my egg on 7/1 and was playing with it and before I knew it I was at 700 deg. What do you do start your fire and let it go until you reach your temp then damper down or what do you do? Any info will help. Thanks Tom

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Tom Garvey, No Tom you start slow and build up to your temp. Once you get the ceramic hot it takes to long to cool down. Just open the bottom vent about 1" with the top open about 1/2. Lets say you want 300 when the temp gets to 250 start shutting the vents slowly it's easier to go up than down. Good Luck
    gerry

• Tom Garvey,[p] first, welcome to the wonderful world of all things EGG!!! it's a whole new world my brother and you'll be making foods that you never thought could taste sooo good. you'll also have friends that just inite themselves over so you'll cook for them!!! LOL
    what you should do is just leave the bottom vent all the way open when you light it, let the fire get crankin' then close it to around an inch or so, keep the top daisy wheel open (not off), shut the lid and monitor from that point. like Chev said, it's much easier (quicker) to bring the temps up than bring them down.
    don't worry though, there is a very little learning curve, then you'll be a pro. takes the first few times to get the hang of things. remember, even when you screw up a little with the egg, things still turn out very good!!!
    i was making chicken wings one time, and something came up and i left them on a half hour+ too long. on any other grill they would be toast, but although the outside was burnt a little, the inside was still juicy. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!!! and they still tasted great. try that on any other grill and you might as well knaw on a stick!!!!
    anyway, sorry for my rambling,,,,,WELCOME!!!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Tom Garvey,[p]As a novice egger, I'm having so much fun. That inludes my seconbd cook, where I walked away for about 5 minutes, and the temperature jumped from 140 to needle buried at 800+. Watch the fire early on. It moves in swells. If you see the dome thermometer rise from 180 to 200 over a minute, it will continue to swell for the next ten minutes, even if you close all the vents down. [p]So at this point I wait around for 20 or 30 minutes till I've got the vents where the temp stays steady. [p]gdenby
  • Tom Garvey,
    I found Kelly Keefe's explainations really helpful in this thread (Need temperature control wisdom):[p]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2004/messages/119319.htm

[ul][li]RE: Need temperature control wisdom[/ul]