Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking in Cold Weather

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning on smoking a Boston Butt overnight. A low of 18 degrees is in the forecast. Should I expect any problems? Thank You!

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    BamaQue, Let me say as a newbie and as one who has only cooked in freezing temps that you should not have any trouble whatsoever, Once that thick ceramic gets up to temp it should be a breeze to maintain.....
    Mop!

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    BamaQue,
    The only thing is that you may use more lump than normal.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• BamaQue,
    We live way up here in God's (COLD) country, and the land of the Vikings, where it is cold, cold, cold. (years past the Vikes would play football at the old Met when it was -10 F. Bud Grant the coach wouldn't even allow sideline heaters for the player. [p]Last night it was -18 F. with a high today of -2. [p]Temps like these only make me want to BBQ on the BGE all the more. (but not play football in itm - I don't want to get carried away) [p]I've started the BGE up in temps like these as well as temps in the 90's F. in July. I see absolutely no difference, except that the Lump lights much faster, due to the greater draft and higher barometer readings, which also cause smoke to rise faster. [p]Use a bit more lump, dress warmly, and enjoy the brisk cold air by warming the innards with some Jack Daniels or the like. The food will even seem to taste better. Who knows maybe it actually is better. [p]Good cooking to you.[p]Anthony

• Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    mOP,[p]Hey Mop,[p]I imagine you're way out ahead of me in technique by now. I'm guessing you picked your egg up in London? My guy in Brampton is trying to get a bunch of us to run a day at Caribana next summer - you in?[p]Rotor
  • Mop
    Rotor,, Hiya, how are ya?....
    Yes I did get the Large Egg in London.
    As far as me being way ahead of you in technique is highly doubtfull!
    I`m a newbie man!...
    Hey, tell me about the Caribanna thing....e-mail me if you like...[p]ROger!

• Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    Mop,[p]Can you send me your email again? Kinda embarrassed I crashed the system and ended up killing my inbox and address book.[p]Dave[p](davidrotor@hotmail.com)

• Mop
    Rotor, here is my addy....[p]jmahon@cgocable.net