Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Monitoring

Options

I'm looking for some recommendations on temperature monitoring for my XL BGE.  The research I've done points me to two kinds of devices - one type is a dual temperature monitor for the grill and meat (wired or wireless) and the other includes a powered blower.  I'd be interested in pros and cons of the two types and your experiences with the various brands.  Thanks!

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Welcome aboard. 

That's a little like asking what religion one practices.  That's a great topic for a Friday

Many of us just monitor temp and don't see a need for a controller.   I'm in this camp and as long as I have good, unrestricted airflow (holes in the charcoal grate are clear) I've had no problems.

Many love their controllers.  Hopefully enough people from both camps will be along to provide the perspectives so you can figure out what will work for you.

I should add that some who have used controllers eventually quit using them as they got more comfortable with their egg.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ^what he said
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Nailed it , @Johnnyp.  Two different ponies.

If all you want is to monitor temps at the grate and in the meat, then you only need something like the Mavericks or the iGrill (now owned by Weber, BTW).

If you want to ensure that your desired temp of 250 stays steady for the entire cook, then you need a controller.  CyberQ, Auber, FlameBoss.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Nailed it , @Johnnyp.  Two different ponies.

If all you want is to monitor temps at the grate and in the meat, then you only need something like the Mavericks or the iGrill (now owned by Weber, BTW).

If you want to ensure that your desired temp of 250 stays steady for the entire cook, then you need a controller.  CyberQ, Auber, FlameBoss.....
    Lol @DaveRichardson. I thought @foghorn said it best, so I just revised my former post.  Oh well.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options

I have a DigiQ DX2 that I only use for extended overnight cooks. I had some butts on the egg prior to an Alabama v. TX A&M game that was supposed to feed about 12-15 people. The fire went out in the middle of the night and I had to abandon the meat to go to the game. I said 'never again' and ordered the DigiQ the next week.

95% of my cooks, I never get it out of the box though.

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Your question will likely elicit a wide range of responses.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,763
    Options
    i started out with a wireless maverick, fretted about temps. after a while realized that low and slows could be done from 200 dome up to about 350 with good results in an egg, havent taken the maverick out of the drawer in years. would rather spend my money on good meat than buy a powered fan device,i have an 11 pound boneless butt going on tonight at midnight, sleep til 3am and im out on the boat til noon, i use the no ones monitoring my egg method =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    edited June 2016
    Options
    i started out with a wireless maverick, fretted about temps. after a while realized that low and slows could be done from 200 dome up to about 350 with good results in an egg, havent taken the maverick out of the drawer in years. would rather spend my money on good meat than buy a powered fan device,i have an 11 pound boneless butt going on tonight at midnight, sleep til 3am and im out on the boat til noon, i use the no ones monitoring my egg method =)

@fishlessman, as a seasoned vet with over 19,000 posts, I think it could be more accurately described as a "Zen" method.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I have a maverick 733 and a flameboss 200. Haven't used the 733 in quite awhile. It works great, is inexpensive, and has a really confusing interface. The FB is great. Easy to use and makes my life easier for long cooks. 

for quicker cooks like spatchcock chicken, fish, burgers, ribs I don't see a need for a controller or remote thermometer. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    A blower is absolutely not necessary, but certainly offers some convenience. I have not purchased one yet, but have considered it and may pull the trigger at some point. I would not want to be without my Maverick, however, especially if you're ever considering an overnight cook. I appreciate being able to turn my head to see how my temps are doing rather than walking out to the BGE every hour or so.
    Stillwater, MN
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    To answer your question, my vote is remote thermometer yes, blower, maybe.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    i have noticed after a near dozen years on these forums that the number of "trouble with my controller" posts about equals the "help, my fire went out" posts.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]