Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax owners: PSA pertaining to the carrier handle.

Options

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Now I'm going to have to figure out some kind of mod for my Mini Max.  It's going to be in the back of my mind every time I lift mine from now on.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    What happened to the OP handle anyway? The nut strip off?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Focker said:
    As a redneck engineer,
    I'd go with galvanized threaded rod, fender washers, lock washers, nuts, and Loctite 262.

Dowels into the handle might work.  I used a standard broom handle and did this to the legs of my kettles.  Pressed 3 inches into the leg, then pushed into the socket.  Worked great.
    With my Eggs, I am a suspenders and belt type of guy. I like this.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,514
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

... The winning one so far is a wooden dowel in through the current handle...
    how about a fruit tree log instead of dowel, in a pinch you can shave off some for smoking when cooking away from home  =)

canuckland
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Ouch, I will have to keep a close eye on mine. Thanks for the heads up. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I was not talking about a little pine wooden dowel. I am talking about 6/4  ("six quarter"  or 1.5 inch thick) quarter sawed red oak blanks which I would spin down on a lath and cut to length. I have between 14 and 18; 17 foot long boards stickered and stacked in the garage ready to be used. 
    Actually, I think I already have some cut to 8" lengths in the basement... I will have to check.  Something like that would be plenty strong enough.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll double check mine. Cheers!
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Yep I think I am set. This will work well.  Just have to find time to spin it down.

Large and MiniMax

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Happened to mine about 1 month after purchase. they replaced the entire top bracket. I saved the old one, might do a weekend project to fix it better and replace the one I was given
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just got home.  Looked at the Carten for ideas.   Egsactly what my redneck engineerin skool (Lowe's University) taut me. Hahaha

FWIW for the peeps looking for ideas without the wood workshop equipment, Scott used threaded rod barely seen(and not interested in disassembly), hollowed aluminum tubes, bolts, flat washers, and lock washers for both handle and supports.  A hacksaw with metal blade to cut the rod to size are the tools required, along with the wrenches of course.

For the MM carrier, wonder if you could even open up the holes to accomodate a thicker threaded rod if needed?  Strictly going by pics here.  But wouldn't be hard, stepdrilling to rod diameter of choice, and touch up.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    My MM is getting a threaded rod the length of the handles plus some with cap nuts, lock washers and lock tite, the red kind. Stainless hardware so it doesn't rust. Will post images if the rain stops long enough to do it.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Focker All thread should work fine. Could probably either knock out or drill out to accommodate larger diameter all thread. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    edited June 2016
    Options
    egger ave said:
    My MM is getting a threaded rod the length of the handles plus some with cap nuts, lock washers and lock tite, the red kind. Stainless hardware so it doesn't rust. Will post images if the rain stops long enough to do it.
    Nice!  Looking forward to pics of the mod. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Some of that kids bat grip tape (Lizard Skins) would be a cool, yet durable and functional addition to the slippery handles, wet or dry.  Lots of color options to personalize, camo too.  Picked some up at Dicks for my boy's bat, like $12.  Really grippy.  Plan on putting some on my firepimp cane(weedburner)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I was not talking about a little pine wooden dowel. I am talking about 6/4  ("six quarter"  or 1.5 inch thick) quarter sawed red oak blanks which I would spin down on a lath and cut to length. I have between 14 and 18; 17 foot long boards stickered and stacked in the garage ready to be used. 
    Actually, I think I already have some cut to 8" lengths in the basement... I will have to check.  Something like that would be plenty strong enough.
    So a six quarter whittled down to a dowel?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    @Sea2Ski You made my heart skip a beat with those picutres! Its midnight here where I am and i can't sleep over this. I have to get it fixed tomorrow. Has anyone reached out to BGE about this issue or experienced it actually breaking due to this issue?
    Austin, Tx
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    @Sea2Ski You made my heart skip a beat with those picutres! Its midnight here where I am and i can't sleep over this. I have to get it fixed tomorrow. Has anyone reached out to BGE about this issue or experienced it actually breaking due to this issue?
    @bgeaddikt. Sorry. That was not my intent. I just wanted to let people be aware of what o experienced.  I have not reached out to the mothership, but I do not know of others did. 
    Large and MiniMax

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    @Focker All thread should work fine. Could probably either knock out or drill out to accommodate larger diameter all thread. 
    drilling out the nuts should not be a big deal. Will use the nuts depending on what size rod I can use.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Looks like a weekend project coming up!  Thanks
    You need to cut down a couple of wood baseball bats handles for yours.  Think of the kids Jason, think of the kids. 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Looks like I have to text some dimensions to the machinist at work to have 2 made out of solid alum round stock since I am not at work to do it myself. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Looks like I have to text some dimensions to the machinist at work to have 2 made out of solid alum round stock since I am not at work to do it myself. 
    Damn...  That is the best option I have heard. I'll take too as well!  Can they pre thread it as well for a screw? I'll pay!

I mean, if 2 are going to be made,  what are 2 more?
    Large and MiniMax

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Damn...  That is the best option I have heard. I'll take too as well!  Can they pre thread it as well for a screw? I'll pay!

I mean, if 2 are going to be made,  what are 2 more?
    I'll see. Shouldn't be a problem. Yes, solid alum , tapped ends. What size is the button head on the carrier currently? I'm not at home at the moment.   It wouldn't be available until Monday though. Let me know. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @pescadorzih I do not know either and I am at work, then headed right to a wedding. Will not be home to really late tonight.  Damn...   

As as for not getting it til Monday - no worries.  I can wait a few weeks. Now that I know it is busted, I can take appropriate measures when I move it. 

Thanks man!!  Super cool!  Meet up at Victory for the hand off and a bite to eat and a beer on me?
    Large and MiniMax

• Focker
    Options
    Glad you're opting out of the dowel and wood screws, a devastating disaster waiting to happen, with the stress in this location.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• charliebatutis
    Options
    Crazy! Good to know!
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Baseball bats would be interesting.....  Wood should be a good option.  I'd think the aluminum might get a little warm in the southern sun.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Focker
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Legume said:
    Looks like a weekend project coming up!  Thanks
    You need to cut down a couple of wood baseball bats handles for yours.  Think of the kids Jason, think of the kids. 
    Was looking at a wood bat for my boy the other day.

Everything is so light, too light for good swing mechanics IMO and fosters bad habit development down the road.  Don't like the 2 3/4" barrels at age 6-8 either.  -12, -13 is crazy.  Wood was -9 and $60....not cheap.

Had to opt for the -12 31"er.  He didn't want wood, and crushed a double into left with the whiffle bat second AB.  So what do I know. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgeaddikt
    Options
    @Sea2Ski Hope you dont mind but i contacted my local BGE rep about this matter to see if they have had any issues with this or complaints or alternatives to  prevent this as i dont want a cracked egg.
    Austin, Tx
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    @Sea2Ski Hope you dont mind but i contacted my local BGE rep about this matter to see if they have had any issues with this or complaints or alternatives to  prevent this as i dont want a cracked egg.

Good, I would like to hear a response on this.  If it becomes a known defect, it would be nice to get a retrofit kit.
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    Response

"Jasson,

I haven't seen any issues with our mini max's. I would email Big Green Egg and they should warranty the cradle for you. Also, I checked our stock and only have one mini max plate setter. Please let me know if you want us to hold it for you.

Thanks aagain!"

I mentioned i had seen this happen to someone else and many other eggheads were concerned as well. On a side note i was inquiring about a deflector LOL

Austin, Tx