Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacation Destination Advice

Options
RajunCajun
RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
Looking to make a road trip somewhere around the Carolinas in the Fall.  We have done road trips to Charleston, Savannah, Colonia Williamsburg, Key West, Asheville, Memphis, Nashville, St Louis, Branson and a few other places I don't recall.

Any suggestions?
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Ocracoke Island 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the beach.  I vacation in obx regularly 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Options
    Subscribed... SE beaches plz
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Fayetteville.... You'll have a blast! Kidding but have you been to Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach or even Raleigh can be fun for a couple days.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    What so you like to do on vacation?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Highlands NC if you enjoy waterfalls. Beautiful little town. Get a waterfall map and have at it. Plenty of hiking trails if you enjoy that too. 
    Snellville, GA

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Highlands NC if you enjoy waterfalls. Beautiful little town. Get a waterfall map and have at it. Plenty of hiking trails if you enjoy that too. 

Yeah, I have some fond childhood memories of that area.  In addition to the waterfalls there is some good whitewater rafting within a couple of hours - and Sliding Rock is about an hour away. 

I have fond memories because we would sometimes stop in the area on the way to or from my grandparents farm in southwest Virginia - where we would spend our summer "vacation" picking and canning enough vegetables to last us until the next summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv228RlQs5A

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Yeah, I have some fond childhood memories of that area.  In addition to the waterfalls there is some good whitewater rafting within a couple of hours - and Sliding Rock is about an hour away. 

I have fond memories because we would sometimes stop in the area on the way to or from my grandparents farm in southwest Virginia - where we would spend our summer "vacation" picking and canning enough vegetables to last us until the next summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv228RlQs5A

That's where my parents moved to when they retired. Bust your butt falls and dry falls (you can walk behind the falls) are both very easy to get to without hiking.
    Snellville, GA

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Looking to make a road trip somewhere around the Carolinas in the Fall.  We have done road trips to Charleston, Savannah, Colonia Williamsburg, Key West, Asheville, Memphis, Nashville, St Louis, Branson and a few other places I don't recall.

Any suggestions?
    NC has so much to offer, the possibilities are endless, really.  

Like @Chubbs said, what's your interests?  

Mountains?  You have Boone and Blowing Rock areas where you can roam the Blue Ridge Parkway.  

Charlotte, has racing type things to venture to do, along with others (Carowinds, Whitewater rafting place, NASCAR museum).  

Piedmont area has BBQ restaurants scattered around and great food all around.   Winston-Salem has Old Salem as well as a great downtown.  Not far is Hanging Rock State Park with waterfalls, and hiking.  Not far from there is Pilot Mountain state park.  There's Mt. Airy is you like Andy Griffith type stuff.  

Of course the coast.  Explore the OBX (Outer Banks).  @DoubleEgger mentioned Ocracoke, which is where I love to vacation.  No chain anything!  Not even hotels.  Beaches are not developed with hotels/structures.  It's pure beauty.  Can only get there by ferry or plane.  You can run up the OBX and explore all the lighthouses too.  

NC website has tons of things to do. 

https://www.visitnc.com/

Also, Our State is a cool resource too, with destinations.  

https://www.ourstate.com/

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    When I go to the beach, I prefer to just chill on the beach and avoid all the tchotchke-filled crap that proliferates many places. My favorite spots are Isle of Palms and Kiawah Island, since they are quiet with no major hotels or chains. My uncle and parents have places I'm North Myrtle Beach and Cherry Grove, but I still rarely venture beyond the beach.

Depending on when you are going in the fall, I'd pick Smokey Mountain National Park to see the foliage.  
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Gives us a few things to look at.  Trying to keep the drive to within 12-14hrs and won't be doing the beach thing at that time of the year.

Thanks again
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    We did a Bald Head Island/Williamsburg trip some years ago and both were awesome.  Great golf and beaches on the island, which was extra special bc it was a true "destination" (you had to want to get there and make it happen, not just drive there and happen upon it).  And Williamsburg was much better than I anticipated -- history was cool and food was good, too.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    When I go to the beach, I prefer to just chill on the beach and avoid all the tchotchke-filled crap that proliferates many places. My favorite spots are Isle of Palms and Kiawah Island, since they are quiet with no major hotels or chains. My uncle and parents have places I'm North Myrtle Beach and Cherry Grove, but I still rarely venture beyond the beach.

Depending on when you are going in the fall, I'd pick Smokey Mountain National Park to see the foliage.  
    Dylan speaks with much wisdom. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Another vote for bald head  island or kiawah in SC- plus your close to Charleston
    Greensboro, NC
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Maybe come to Thomasville and have your picture taken in front of the big chair? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Smokey Mountains

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015