Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Pork Loin Roast - Just OK

Green_Giant
Green_Giant Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first "low and slow" was deemed a semi-success, but only because I think I used the wrong cut of pork. I wanted a picnic or pork butt roast, but all that was available was a bone-in loin roast. Rubbed with Bone Sucking Sauce, and cooked at 200 for about 18 hrs until internal temp was 200.
Overall, it was pretty good. But I think the loin roast is not as well marbled throughout as those other two cuts, and thus was not as tender and easy to pull or juicy. My wife - who only eats white meat chicken if that tells you anything - thought this was an upgrade! :0
Anyway, the Egg performed flawlessly. This was user input error! :)
Next, at wife's request: Brisket.

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    3020410c.jpg
    <p />Green_Giant,
    I love to cook bone-in pork loin. I usually cook direct bone side down at about 400 dome to an internal temp of 145/150. You do not want to overcook your pork loin because it will dry out. That cut of meat is not for PP. Hope you try that cook again with differnt results. Good luck, Tom

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Green_Giant,
    How long have you been using your egg? My advice to newbies is to buy good USDA choice beef and great pork. Get to know your butcher or meat counter person very well. There are great sites to go to for expert recipes and how to's on this forum. Nakedwhiz, MadMax, Thirdeye, DizzyPig, WessB are some amoung many which can be of great help. Good luck, Tom

• Despite my forum name, I am a newbie to the BGE. I am a New Orleans native, but due to Katrina I moved my family out to my wife's hometown of Denver. I have only been here about 6 weeks, and so I'm still searching for the good butchers. This cut was just from a chain supermarket. I bought a used large BGE about 3 weeks ago as a moving present to myself. I am loving cooking out without all the heat and humidity! :woohoo:
    I agree that a poor cut of meat can only be marginally improved with good cooking. I'll try to buy the best I can find. Oh well, the pork loin was only a $7 total investment!
    Thanks for the tip on cooking pork loin. I'll try that next time. Lesson learned, and no tears. :)
  • TulsaMurph
    TulsaMurph Posts: 131
    When you buy your brisket, I would recommend getting the Choice cut, not Select. Sam's Club has nice briskets; I have also found Choice cuts at local grocery stores.

Happy egging!
    John
  • Thanks for the suggestion. If I can find a Sam's Club (we shopped there back in New Orleans) I'll try their brisket.
    I think my wife's been going to Costco out here more often. Anyone rate their meat quality?