Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Throw Back.....waaaay way back!!

Options
Chubby
Chubby Posts: 2,955
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
Was cleaning out some stuff in one of my closets yesterday and found something that will (or should) jog the memories of a few of you "Bonafide OGs"!!

Any of you that ever used any of these Rubs from Ken Stone are free to chime in here with your memories of either Ken.. or his products!

They were fantastic... (though they weren't available for very long) do to his health.

In a world of increasingly "me too"  Rubs...(that too many times all taste very similar) Ken's Rubs were of very high quality, delicious used in many different ways, and we're certainly different than anything on the market at that time, or anything I've had since!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ken was before my time here, but I have heard of Witchy Red. @RRP has the recipe, but I don't think he shares. =) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Yes I'm pretty sure he does!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

Damn Chubby, was thinking about him the other day.  I still have 1/4 bottle of his Witchy.  Of course it's all caked up, but I just can't make myself toss it.  It sits in my rack and will stay there.

Ken was a wizard with rubs...

Hope your well buddy...

Apollo Beach, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ron made me up a pound or too witchy red years back, some is still frozen in the freezer. used to buy it and cases of happy pappy sauce from ken. really miss the happy pappy, very different from other sauces. also miss the smoked pistaccios he used to thro in the box, havent been able to recreate those. his rubs and sauces are pretty complex, hard to duplicate, everything from powdered tomatoes in those rubs =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wardster
    Options
    Also, any time I hear, or read, the phrase "Blue Smoke" I stop and think of Ken....
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • fishlessman
    Options
    heres the witch red recipe if anyones interested, ken passed it on to the forum

BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Below is the formulation for BlueSmoke’s Witchy Red. All values are in ounces (weight). You will notice that some of the ingredients are unusual, and only available from a spice merchant such as Penzey’s or Rocky Mountain Spice. One of the unique elements of Witchy Red is its ability to change the color of the food while enhancing its taste. I post the formulation here in hopes that those who sincerely want Witchy Red will be able to create it. I ask only that if you make a batch, you credit me with the formulation.

BlueSmoke

Beet Powder 5.50
    Black Pepper 5.50
    Cayenne 1.50
    Charnuska 5.00
    Chile, Chimayo 1.50
    Citric Acid 5.50
    Ginger Powder 2.00
    Honey Powder 5.50
    Lemon Peel 2.00
    Paprika 5.00
    Salt 11.00
    Sesame Seed, Black 5.50
    Sugar, Turbinado 3.50
    Tomato Powder 6.50
    Wasabi Powder 1.00

fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Those rubs of Ken's were great! In a private email he told me of all his formulations WR was the most expensive one to make. And I found that out for a fact since if you look at the formula fishlessman just posted there are several ingredients you just don't go and pick up from your local Kroger! In fact I think I had to buy the more exotic ones from 4 different spice vendors! Then the issue was minimal quantity issues driving the price up and the eventual waste of unused spices were a major cost considerstion. I made two large batches and sold all of it in short order to followers of Ken. All he aske in return was to give him credit for the formulation which I did. Rest in peace, Ken Stone.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Oh BTW I also have Ken's recipe for Happy Pappy Sauce if anybody wants it. It is on the hot side for sure. I just wish someone had his Big Chief sauce recipe which was my favorite.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Just have to get the tomato powder from somewhere and Ill be good to go.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    Oh BTW I also have Ken's recipe for Happy Pappy Sauce if anybody wants it. It is on the hot side for sure. I just wish someone had his Big Chief sauce recipe which was my favorite.
    ive got that one,happy pappy, hanging on my wall over the desk at work as well, i like to put it down on the plate and drag the dry ribs thru it. i should make that one some day, i pretty much drank the stuff back then
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @hondabbq , Rocky Mtn Spice has almost everything on the WR list. Including tomato powder. And much less expensive than Penzeys (which didn't even HAVE much of the stuff).

I priced out the whole recipe and it's not bad. About $50 for 4 pounds of Witchy Red, with some of the spices left over. 8 oz of Dizzy Dust is $10.75 so 4 lbs would be $86 (though I guess you can buy in bulk too). I'd love to try it, but I won't mix up 4 lbs just to see if I like it. :) Most of the spices were available in smaller quantities so I may give it a shot.

@RRP , I never heard of Happy Pappy before today, but I'm always interested in new seasoning/sauce recipes. Thanks!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    Here you go!

Happy Pappy Sauce

A delightful BBQ sauce created by the late Ken Stone aka Blue Smoke

This sauce is on the hot side plus is more in the Carolinas preference due to the vinegar vs. the sweetness more common in the South.

Full Batch                   1/3rd Batch

brown sugar                24 ounces                    8 ounces

catsup                         72 ounces                    24 ounces

chili, crushed               2 cups               2/3 cup (1/2 c is better)

vinegar, cider               48 ounces                    16 ounces

garlic                            18 cloves crushed        6 cloves crushed

ginger, powdered         6 tablespoons              2 tablespoons

lemon juice                  18 ounces                    6 ounces

liquid smoke                6 teaspoons                 2 teaspoons

mustard, yellow          18 tablespoons              6 tablespoons

vegetable oil                18 ounces                    6 ounces

Worcestershire            18 ounces                    6 ounces

Combine all ingredients, stirring as needed.  Heat to 185 degrees and hold there for five minutes.  Bottle.

1/3 Batch makes about 3.5 pints of finished sauce.    
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Thanks for posting the Happy Pappy....even the 1/3 batch could easily be cut in half for a trial run/taste....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, Ron. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wardster
    Options

Thanks for posting Happy Pappy, I will make a batch up this weekend.

Stupid question though.  I know 2 tablespoons roughly = 1 liquid ounce.  Does mustard weigh more than water? 

Apollo Beach, FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Thanks Ron. This is bookmarked for future use. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    RRP certainly shares. I still have some of the witchy red batch he sent me gratis. 

I use it sparingly because i don't have much left!
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Carolina Q
    Options
    RRP certainly shares.
    I was just kidding. :) I actually found Ken's original post with the WR recipe about the time fish posted it.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Two_Down
    Two_Down Posts: 74
    Options
    Can anyone share some thoughts on the Witchy Red as to its flavor profile and suggested uses? It predates my egg ownership, so I am unfamiliar with it, but it sounds pretty interesting.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Thanks @RRP for sharing. I'm gonna make that sauce soon. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • RRP
    Options
    Two_Down said:
    Can anyone share some thoughts on the Witchy Red as to its flavor profile and suggested uses? It predates my egg ownership, so I am unfamiliar with it, but it sounds pretty interesting.
    I always loved it on any pork, but since I had no abundance of it I never used it on butts. One of my most favorite uses was on ground pork burgers. If you are thinking about making some I strongly suggest you reread my post above as locating the ingredients and then their limited quanities made for expensive waste of unused uncommon spices.
  • Wardster
    Options
    I liked it on pork and chicken.  It does impart a red hue on anything you apply it to.  I can't put my finger on an actual flavor profile as Ken's rubs were pretty exotic.   I also remember using it on slaw and potato salad.  Good stuff for sure.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Wardster said:
    I liked it on pork and chicken.  It does impart a red hue on anything you apply it to.  I can't put my finger on an actual flavor profile as Ken's rubs were pretty exotic.   I also remember using it on slaw and potato salad.  Good stuff for sure.
    Yes. I forgot about chicken!
  • Two_Down
    Two_Down Posts: 74
    Options
    Man I wish I had known about this yesterday - made a whole bunch of smoked wings and was looking for a rub to use - sounds like this one might have had some potential (albeit at a high cost). Might give it a go sometime in the next week or two, will be sure to let you all know if so.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS