Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood question

a neighbor has an apple tree and told me that I can cut off a limb to cut into chunks for smoking.  Do I need to let the wood 'season' before using it?  If so, about how long?
Thanks.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I'm assuming the tree is still alive?  If so, I would say a couple months if you strip the bark off and let sit out side.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Either is fine. Cut it into chunks, keep it dry, allow for air circulation (no plastic bags) and start using it. As it seasons, you can decide whether you prefer seasoned or green.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Nope. And the bark is not an issue 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    I'm assuming the tree is still alive?  If so, I would say a couple months if you strip the bark off and let sit out side.
    Yes, the tree is still alive.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    you can use some right away but it seasons fine in a few days if you cut it up as 1 inch thick disks and leave it in the sun for a couple of days. i use the miter saw. i dont normally use huge chunks of green wood but i do use a knife and whittle down green sugar maple into shavings/chips and use that frequently. to me, green sugar maple is hard to beat. as for the bark, i peel shagbark hickory bark right off the tree and toss it directly into the pit for smoke =) the bbq legends that made up all these rules are just legends in their own minds ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darby_Crenshaw
     the bbq legends that made up all these rules are just legends in their own minds ;)
    especially when one multi-winning famous BBQer uses green wood, and another says they use seasoned. 

my only rule: just TRY stuff and figure it out. :)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
     the bbq legends that made up all these rules are just legends in their own minds ;)
    especially when one multi-winning famous BBQer uses green wood, and another says they use seasoned. 

I think I know who you are referring to that uses green wood. If it is who I think, he is getting away with using green wood because he is cooking hot and fast. I personally would not try that cooking low and slow on a BGE.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited June 2016
    I just pruned my apple tree this spring. I'm using that wood now to smoke. I usually just quarter 6" diameter limbs and leave them 8" in length. Toss 'em right in with the lump 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've used green, but mostly seasoned. Had a bunch of green peach. There were fellows that said fruit woods w. the sap still in them added fruit flavor. I didn't notice any.

I usually go w. seasoned 'cause the amount of water that has to steam out of the wood is enough it delays the time till the "good smoke" starts.
  • smokeyw
    ColtsFan said:

This wood is seasoning nicely. You can tell that by the checking (cracking) on the ends of the pieces.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    smokeyw said:

I think I know who you are referring to that uses green wood. If it is who I think, he is getting away with using green wood because he is cooking hot and fast. I personally would not try that cooking low and slow on a BGE.
    we're using small amounts.

there is no issue using green wood in a BGE in the amounts we're using. these are not stick burners eating up a cord of wood

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    This came up in one the BBQ classes I was taking a couple years ago and the person giving the class says he usually lets fresh wood season for about 6 months before using, but those are what he fallows.  I wood at least give it a few days to a week if I was using it.   
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    gdenby said:
    I've used green, but mostly seasoned. Had a bunch of green peach. There were fellows that said fruit woods w. the sap still in them added fruit flavor. I didn't notice any.

I usually go w. seasoned 'cause the amount of water that has to steam out of the wood is enough it delays the time till the "good smoke" starts.
    sap is water and sugars

when you season the wood, the water is the only that is lost.  sugars remain.

some find that the water in a BGE (pan or from water in wood, etc.) helps with smoke ring formation.

but there's nothing in green wood that isn't in seasoned, except water. not in any great amount anyway

• smokeyw
    smokeyw said:

we're using small amounts.

there is no issue using green wood in a BGE in the amounts we're using. these are not stick burners eating up a cord of wood

I don't agree. Green wood creates creosote when it smolders such as in the mix of lump. Creosote smells bad and will impart a bad taste into the food. Stick burners can only get away with it when they burn a small, hot fire. If they choke it down, they will also have an issue with the creosote taste. I have seen it many times. I will say however, that small pieces of wood don't take a long time to dry out enough to use. Fist size hunks should be fine in a month or so.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Yes, the tree is still alive.
    Drive some copper nails into the tree so you have a lot more Apple wood in a year or so :) (this is a joke. I feel the need to clarify these days..) 

I have two cut up Apple trees and it worked great green and it works great now that they have seasoned for a while. Just cut it into chunk size you want and go for it. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Drive some copper nails into the tree so you have a lot more Apple wood in a year or so
    Are you a Bammer fan?
    Lawrenceville, GA