Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Homemade Sausage Recipe

Good evening guys

looking for some good ideas on make your own sausage at home. This is something. I've wanted to work on.. And went ahead and invested in a meat grinder with all the necessary attachments.

now all I need is some good ideas / recipes... So shoot! Thanks
Large BGE
36" BlackStone
Backwoods G2 Party
Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
Professional Drinker & Home Cook

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2016
    @theyolksonyou is your man. He should be by shortly. His Chicken is over the top good. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I started with Rhulman's Charcuterie recipes and eventually just moved to sort of winging it but using the general salt to meat ratios. It's a great book to start with if you don't have it. 

We did 140 lbs of venison sausage last year, be careful what you are getting into :)  
    Have fun. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited June 2016
    +1 on rhulmans charcuterie book
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Combinations of spices in sausage are infinite.  If you make brats, marjoram and allspice with ginger and garlic are good, salt amd white pepper too amd caraway seeds.  Domt forget to add beer

If you are making italian sausage, be sure to add shredded parm or provolone to the meat mix along with a little red wine.   

Polish sausage can have beer added amd some chopped green pepper

I dont  have other spice ratios like salt amd red chili flakes but these are super easy to find

Have fun with it and make your sausage your own unique recipe, sort of like bbq sauce.    

I made lemon chicken sausage last year by accident and it was fantastic.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    +1 on Ruhlman for starters. 

One thing you need to follow religiously is process. Don't skip chilling steps for example. And don't think you are being healthy by cutting down fat. You want higher quality sausages here. If you're concerned about fat content, eat fewer. 

Better to have two fantastic fresh sausages than four dry crappy marginally healthier ones
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Like Darby said follow the process and KEEP EVERYTHING COLD! Now for some recipes here is a website that has some excellent sausage recipes http://lpoli.50webs.com/
    I have made a few and all were good. My bible for sausage making though is 

Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas 

All sausage recipes are really only a starting point you can add or delete whatever spices you want according to your taste. 
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited June 2016
    FWIW, the Ruhlman chicken/tomato/basil recipe is fantastic. I made a batch last month but unfortunately let it sit too long before getting to it to stuff it. Had to toss about 3.5 pounds...

BUT

since it requires thigh meat, and i deboned enough to get five pounds of sausage, i had a ton of skin left over. 

I made some meatballs if the mixture, and covered in the thighs skins. I let them dry overnight, about 24 hours total, before roasting at a low temp

these were FANTASTIC. i pity the folks who toss chicken skin....

First, a test patty

Wrapped in skin

Roasted at 275-325 until 150 or so (truth: I went by look)

Tested one for myself. Had two each for dinner the next night. Much easier than stuffing the sausage. Really really wish I had been able to use the rest if the meat. Was chicken thigh, some pork fat, tomato, basil, and sun dried tomato
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I make sausages all the time. Polish, brats, kielbasa, jalapeno and cheddar, pizza sausages (yes pizza sausages). Like it was said all you need is the basics if you are curing and from there it is infinite. ie pizza sausage. =

the best part is all of the recipes you make can also be used for meat sticks with the addition of cure. I just did 10 lbs of spicy teriyaki last week.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I would also suggest Ruhlmans Charcuterie as a great starting point. The chicken basil tomato sausage in that book is the one @northGAcock is talking about. It is very good. 

Also, I would suggest asking your butcher for pork fat rather than buying fatback. You may come out cheaper. My butcher just brought out the trimmings bucket and picked the fat out for me. 

Thanks fornthe compliment Robin!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ruhlman's Chicken, Basil, Tomato Sausage...

http://ruhlman.com/2013/03/chicken-sausage/

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    That's the recipe i mentioned too 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That's the recipe i mentioned too 
    I know, but if anyone posted the recipe, I didn't see it. It sounded so good, I decided to look for it and found it on Ruhlman's site, no less. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    i was just repeating because someone else apparently mentioned it.

i actually mentioned this recipe in three posts this month. i must really like it. hahaha

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    FWIW, the Ruhlman chicken/tomato/basil recipe is fantastic. I made a batch last month but unfortunately let it sit too long before getting to it to stuff it. Had to toss about 3.5 pounds...

BUT

since it requires thigh meat, and i deboned enough to get five pounds of sausage, i had a ton of skin left over. 

I made some meatballs if the mixture, and covered in the thighs skins. I let them dry overnight, about 24 hours total, before roasting at a low temp

these were FANTASTIC. i pity the folks who toss chicken skin....

First, a test patty

Wrapped in skin

Roasted at 275-325 until 150 or so (truth: I went by look)

Tested one for myself. Had two each for dinner the next night. Much easier than stuffing the sausage. Really really wish I had been able to use the rest if the meat. Was chicken thigh, some pork fat, tomato, basil, and sun dried tomato
    This looks awesome Jeff.  It's on the list.  What dome temp?  275 seems like a good place to start.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Darby_Crenshaw
    i roasted low.  about 275 is right. i may have bumped to 325 when i did a later batch.

try drying the skin, because i think the size is small enough that the meat would be cooked before the skin crisped up.  was bite thru skin.  but i dried it a good 24 hours

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    FWIW, the Ruhlman chicken/tomato/basil recipe is fantastic. ... I made some meatballs ... covered in the thighs skins. 

That's AMAZING!  Never heard of such a thing!  That looks WAY cool!
  • EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Thanks guys.. I'll be testing it out this weekend 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook