Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg trailer questions

Options

One of my goals has been to one day have a trailer built to haul around and egg (preferably 2) for cookouts/competitions and such. My father just purchased some big offset smoker and offered to give me his large. I don't have room for it on the patio with the other 4 already out there, so now may be as good a time as any to get started.

Does anyone have a trailer built specially for hauling an egg(s)? If not, does anyone know anything about small trailers that could give me some good insight about what to look for and who to do it?

Thanks,

Chris

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

An egg isn't the ideal mobile cooker, but I can understand why you want to do it. The bounce is what you want to avoid obviously.   Keep the egg in front of the axle.  A dual axle won't bounce as much.  Keep weight on the trailer, maybe a sink and water tank?  Hope that helps, good luck with the project.

Phoenix 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I'm in the exact same situation (2-xl eggs). I just bought a 5x9 trailor, but it does have bounce. I'm still figuring out what I want to do. Thinking about building two tables, on wheels, and design manageability to load on the trailor.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the trailer i have now has a torsion axle verse my boat trailers with spring axles. very little bounce and sway with this trailer. the axle is located further back which seems to help with bounce as well. if i did it again it would be with a double axle, im always overweight. with the egg in there i set it on several sheets of corrugated cardboard to help remove any shock, same between dome and base, and i fill the firebox with lump above the ring. i trailer off road as well and this trailer would be no good, it sits low and is better on good roads
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    As far as loading on an off the trailer, I stick to my idea of a winch mounted close to the hitch to will assist in pulling the table or the nest WITH HANDLER up the ramp onto the trailer.  It can also be used as a braking system when unloading.  Only problem is that you'd have to have someone help you run the electronics.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    We've trailered Eggs for years now, it can be done. We first had a 12' cargo dual axle trailer with barn doors on back, we bought a wheel chair aluminum ramp to go in the side door and ramped them in and out, needs 2 people ideally. Several years ago we converted a 20' car hauler into a mobile kitchen with water/sink and full size fridge. We use the same ramp to load all 4 Eggs and dock them to the empty side wall with the handlers. The newer trailer does have a ramp in the back but sometimes space limitations keep you from using the back ramp.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I'm no help on the trailer but if you can't find room for the extra egg I'd be glad to drive down and pick it up.  =)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Crimsongator are you still around? Weren't you the fellow that had the xl and offset on a trailer??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I do have the XL and an offset. My experience has been good traveling with the XL on the trailer. I strap the dome down so the egg can't move while being pulled. So far I've had good luck. This pic is during the refurb of the trailer. You can see the cross brace the egg sits on. After painting we added some high temp foam for a little extra softness.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Yup. That's the rig. Very envious. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Crimsongator - I could say I wasn't jealous, but I'd be lying. Nice rig.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    This works great for the winch mounted on the front of my trailer.  The remote control makes it an easy one person job.  http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-winch-remote-control-61474.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    DMW said:
    @Crimsongator - I could say I wasn't jealous, but I'd be lying. Nice rig.
    It took me about 3 years of having the thought of that set up in my mind to finally make it a reality. The trailer used to hold a Stumps Platinum 6 (and was built by Stump). It is a 5x8 trailer and has room behind the offset to carry coolers and EZ ups.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Niiice !  I have got to get to work making decisions on a trailer. I've got several "good" ideas, but in my community, resources are limited.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Big Moe Cason used to carry 2 xls on his comp trailer, you can google some pics
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Spring mounted vibration isolators the same that are used on generators, chilled water compressors and other refrigeration. I have the rubber style on my MM. The spring coil design for an XL or LG for trailer mount would work fine unless you drive like a bat outta hell over potholes or railroad tracks. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL