Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick ash basket

2»

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited June 2016
    Gunnar said:
    So I'm convinced I need another accessory.....am I understanding that using the KAB only the air flow is increased thus the vents close up a little to maintain the same temp...
    I noticed an increase of air flow with the stock fire grate in place along with the basket. Vent settings are near identical that they were prior but did notice a slightest difference. I'd imagine without the fire grate the vent settings would be a little more drastic but nothing a cook or two wouldn't fix with the new vent settings. (Vents close up)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    I have 3 KAB's and don't regret a single one - my only problem is that there isn't one for the mini egg (there is one for the mini max)
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2016

If you do decide to get one make sure its the newer ones with the thicker steel. I have one of the old ones and it looks 20 years old and its only 2 years old.

On a side note up here in Canuckistan, I was at a patio place that sells the KAB and the new ones were selling for $110 CAD. I nearly **** my pants. they did have the smokeware cap as well for a reasonable $55.

Edit: just went to the KAB site and the KAB for a LBGE shipped is $95 from the Canadian distributor.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Have it in 4 of my 5 eggs! would be in all 5 if they made one for the Mini.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Do you even kick ash bro!
  • Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    Well I'm convinced. Will be ordering soon. Thanks for all the relies. Egg on!
  • I have one, but I dont think it was a must have.  It was a christmas gift so that helped
    Wiggins, MS
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Does anyone have one for the small?  Been thinking about getting one for it.  Every time I try to knock ash down I end up moving the grate around.  The stock grate for the small doesn't sit as securely as the large one does.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• For the small I have one of the high flow grates.  I got it before I knew about the KAB.  
    Wiggins, MS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Does anyone have one for the small?  Been thinking about getting one for it.  Every time I try to knock ash down I end up moving the grate around.  The stock grate for the small doesn't sit as securely as the large one does.
    I do and I love it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367

Yep, I have one for the small as well. I love it.

I also have one for my large and MM.

I do leave the grate in with them when cooking. I have never noticed any difference in controlling temps.

It makes cleanup soooo simple!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Same for the medium. That's the sole reason I bought one. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    I replaced the Hi-Q in my Small with a KAB, for the same reason (it was easily dislodged also).  I think it's even more desirable on the Small, as the intake is so small and the ash hard to remove with the ash tool; now its just lift, shake, vacuum, go.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    I have them in my large and MM. I only wish I got them sooner. 
  • HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    as mentioned. It arrived. I've already got the egg fired up. Don't even know what I'm going to do yet. Excited.