Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....

Options

Comments

• sheetmetalpete
    Options

Size Egg: Large
    Charcoal: Royal Oak
    Wood: Pecan chunks
    Source: Costco (Prime grade)
    Weight: 13.77 lbs
    Price: $2.99/lb
    Temp: 250
    Rub: Salt, pepper & garlic powder
    Injected: Yes - Butcher BBQ brisket injection
    Trimming: Yes - appr 2 1/2 pounds
    Time put on: 5:30am
    Time took off: 4pm (200 deg)
    Fat cap down
    No wrap
    Rested 1 hour 

I had only cooked two other briskets before with mixed results.  This one turned out great.  The only change I made was the injection but I don't think that was the difference.  This time I had good temp control and pulled it when it probed easily.

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options
    HondaHawk said:

Size Egg: L                                                                          

Charcoal: Rockwood                  

Wood: cherry                         

Store: Costco

Grade: Prime

Weight: 15.5 

Price: $2.89                

Temp: 250º - 270°                                                                       

Rub: mustard, salt, pepper

Injected: a little beef broth

Trimming instructions: maybe too much. I felt like I got carried away.                                                         

Time you put it on: 4:50am

Time you took it off: 10:30am (wtf moment)

Fat cap: up                                                                       

Drip pan:    Yes                               

Added to drip pan: had some rosemary laying around. Why not. 

When it got to 197° that early in the morning I was all hot and bothered. Didn't know what was going on. Kept it in the cooler till 6pm...figured I had nothing to lose. All things considered it turned out great. 

Now I can't post pics dammit all. 

• HondaHawk
    Options
    HondaHawk said:
    HondaHawk said:

Size Egg: L                                                                          

Wood: cherry                         

Store: Costco

Grade: Prime

Weight: 15.5 

Price: $2.89                

Temp: 250º - 270°                                                                       

Rub: mustard, salt, pepper

Injected: a little beef broth

Trimming instructions: maybe too much. I felt like I got carried away.                                                         

Time you put it on: 4:50am

Time you took it off: 10:30am (wtf moment)

Fat cap: up                                                                       

Drip pan:    Yes                               

Added to drip pan: had some rosemary laying around. Why not. 

When it got to 197° that early in the morning I was all hot and bothered. Didn't know what was going on. Kept it in the cooler till 6pm...figured I had nothing to lose. All things considered it turned out great. 

Now I can't post pics dammit all. 

I can't get these to post. Sorry fellas. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    There sure are some pretty briskets on this thread. Way to go brisket crew!

Here's my entry from Saturday. I unwrapped and trimmed it before seeing I was suppose to have a photo of it in the package so I included a pic of the label. This is the biggest brisket I've ever cooked. Sure was a tight squeeze getting it into the LBGE. It was too thick to drape over a rib rack. My end result was OK - I've definitely done better. Over cooked it a bit trying to get one big spot in the flat to get tender. Also, I didn't get as much smoke on it as I wanted. The Black Ops seasoning still makes a mediocre cook taste pretty damn good though.

Size of Egg: Large
    Purchased at: Costco
    Weight: 20.70 lbs
    Smoke wood: Oak, Pecan, & Cherry
    Price per pound $2.89
    Meat Grade: USDA Prime

Rub: Oak Ridge Black Ops
    Time Applied: 8:00 PM
    Trimming: trimmed between 3-4 lbs. May have over-trimmed a bit
    Drip Pan: YES
    What was added to drip pan: Nothing
    Injection: None
    Wrapped: Did not wrap
    Placement: Fat cap down

Placed on egg: 12:00 AM
    Spritz or spray: None
    Time wrapped: None (did not wrap)
    Removed from Egg: 4:30 PM

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Those " baked " beans look amazing too !! 
    More meat please !! :-)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Anybody else inject? I really liked how mine turned out. If so, what did you use?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HondaHawk
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Anybody else inject? I really liked how mine turned out. If so, what did you use?
    I did. I think it saved my cook. First time I've injected a brisket and I'll continue doing so going forward. 
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I do . Usually beef broth made from the cubes. After I trim , I wrap it in plastic wrap and inject it. The I add a couple more layers of wrap to hold the liquid in , put it in a pan and refrigerate fat cap up at least eight hours. 
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options

12 pound plus choice packer from Sam's club, trimmed

Injected with beef stock, rubbed with Dizzy pig's Cow lick and salt

Drip pan with water, guru (set grid temp 230)

Put on at 9:30 Friday evening, with a hunk of cherry and pecan, checked on it at 1:30 and 4:40 no adjustments

wrapped around 8 done 11:00.

I was pleased with my cook

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    A little late to the party, but I just finally got to downloading pictures.  Thanks @westernbbq for the great idea!

Unfortunately here in the NYC suburbs, we can't just pull into the local HEB for $2.89/lb prime packers.  Nor does Costco carry packers at their stores north of the Mason Dixon line, just measly 7# flats.  Hard to find packers anywhere around here, except RD, but that's a zoo on weekends.  Fortunately, a friend found a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy at the Hunts Point wholesale market in the Bronx, and gets cases of meat for himself and other eggheads in the neighborhood - a valuable service that earns him high praise, but also bemusement from SWMBO.

This 16.8# wagyu beauty had been sitting in his freezer - left over from a case he had bought a few months ago.  

Size Egg:      Large                                                                                    

Charcoal:     Royal Oak                    Wood:  Oak

Store:  Austin Meat Co, The Bronx        Grade: Wagyu

Weight:   16.8 pounds                     Price:   $100                         

Temp:      275-300                                                                                            

Rub:    Montreal Steak

Injected with:   nope

Trimming instructions: tried to follow Aaron Franklin's lead...                                                               
    Time you put it on:  11:30pm               Time you took it off:  1:00 pm

Fat cap:             Down                                                                   

Foiled at what time:  Nope          Foiled at what temp:  

FTC?  Yes                                        How long FTC:  5 hours

Drip pan?  Yes                               Added to drip pan: Nothing

Results were terrific, and not much left over after dinner!  

Mamaroneck
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    I'm willing to bet that I've cooked 25 briskets in the past 4 years and I've never had such a complete failure from start to finish.  Booze probably had a lot to do with it, but that's no excuse!  Details - 

Egg Size:  Large
    Lump:  Grove Charcoal
    Wood:  Combo of oak and some hickory
    Store:  Costco
    Grade:  Prime
    Weight:  15.82 lbs, ~13.5 lbs after trimming
    Price: $2.89/lb
    Temp:  Wanted 270* at the time, but I couldn't move my egg off 300* and THIS is where ALL MY PROBLEMS ORIGINATED
    Rub:  Equal parts, by weight, of pepper, Kosher salt and a combo of garlic powder and chili powder
    Injection:  None
    Fat Cap:  Down
    Drip Pan:  Empty, air gapped
    Time Put On:  10:45pm
    Time Taken Off:  9:30am (!!)
    Internal Temp at 9:30:  223* (yikes)

Notes:  Just a cluster-fudge from the get-go on this.  I know better to not make the long line of mistakes I made on this cook.  First, I shouldn't have over-served myself so much... I was polluted.  Second, for what ever reason why, I miscalculated the time needed to cook a 13-14lb brisket and put it on too early.  Third, I did not catch the egg temp at 250* and instead of being patient for another 3-4 beers and getting it down, I *assumed* that if I put this mother on when everything read 300*, just putting the brisket in would drag the temp down to where I wanted it.  Fourth, I didn't do a good enough job monitoring the cook before I went to bed (passed out).  Fifth, I didn't get up early enough on Sunday morning to check on it (hung over).

Rookie mistake after rookie mistake.  Check that, brisket rookies wouldn't make those mistakes because they'd be on it better.  Pulled this train wreck at 9:30am and FTC'd it until 6:00pm.  It was still nice and warm, so that was probably the only thing that went right.  

1/4 of the flat was toast and the only edible portions was the rest of the flat and most a good chunk of the point.  It was dry, chewy and horrible.  I was embarrassed, but this has humbled me to get back to the basics of cooking brisket. 

I only took 2 pics, the seasoning and before I cut in to it.

Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    Some awesome cooks here...and some lessons learned!  

Don't suppose anyone has pulled together a list of all the participants yet?  We need to draw a winner for the SRF brisket!  @westernbbq
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @Stoogie -  big plus for stepping up and posting the above.  You provided and reconfirmed many valuable points.  I'm sure many (self-included) can relate to some or all of your challenges.  Back on the cow for the next one.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Stoogie -  big plus for stepping up and posting the above.  You provided and reconfirmed many valuable points.  I'm sure many (self-included) can relate to some or all of your challenges.  Back on the cow for the next one.

Absolutely.  Providing information about the potential pitfalls is the most helpful service one can provide. 

I've fallen victim to several of those over the years.  Thanks for doing that.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    And thanks @Stoogie for reminding us why we all love brisket so much. Each one is a potential disaster, but get it right and it can be sublime.  

You could have made any and all of those mistakes on a pork butt and it still would have come out great.  Brisket, not so much.

Mamaroneck
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @Stoogie
    Dude, I feel your pain. There have been times, I have camped out with my laptop working quadratic equations and the functions there of to hit the right time vs. temp, mass and velocity, etc. to best deliver a quality cook of the brisket, only to fail horribly. Then there were the times when I took no precautions and boom! Success! And all combinations there of with various results.
    Your data points are as important as any posted. 
    Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @Stoogie

Thanks for sharing.  My brisket was a failure.  I bet you about soiled yourself when you glanced down to see the brisket was at 223.  I couldn't believe my eyes when it read 215 after 10 hours on mine.  I wasn't drinking.  I monitored temp from 9pm to 12:30 am and it needed no adjustments.  I slept for 6 and a half hours and checked again and was shocked.  Like @YukonRon  points out.  Sometimes you try too hard to get it perfect, it turns out ok, then next time you just wing it and everything falls into place without trying.   It is nice to see failures we can all learn from.  Posting failures should be "FORUM CODE."  I am taking that idea from the Free Beer and Hotwings morning show.  Not sure if any of you have heard it before but they are syndicated around the eastern half of the USA I know.  I catch them once in a while.  They have "SHOW CODE" where if something embarrassing happens to them or they do something stupid in their personal life, they are obligated to share on air.  Again, thanks for sharing.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    A little late to the party, but I just finally got to downloading pictures.  Thanks @westernbbq for the great idea!

I have to admit, even this one looks better than mine!  :)  Thanks for sharing @Mama Roneck
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • ETCrusader12
    Options

This was my first brisket cook.  A little worried about 10 hours into the cook that something was wrong.  I discovered that I had my temperature probe in the point and not in the large part of the flat.  Once corrected I was able to bring the brisket in at the desired temperature.  As I was letting it rest on the counter my family could not wait any longer.  We let is rest for about 1 hour and the temp was still 160 when we sliced it, otherwise I think the slices would have looked better.   The brisket had great flavor, moist, and tender.  All you can ask for in a cook.  Hope to do another one soon.  Thanks for putting this together.
    Gate City, VA
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @ETCrusader12 - First up welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.
    Full props for stepping up to the brisket cook and the great results right there.  Nailed the cook.  Congrats. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @Stoogie

Thanks for sharing.  My brisket was a failure.  I bet you about soiled yourself when you glanced down to see the brisket was at 223.  I couldn't believe my eyes when it read 215 after 10 hours on mine.  I wasn't drinking.  I monitored temp from 9pm to 12:30 am and it needed no adjustments.  I slept for 6 and a half hours and checked again and was shocked.  Like @YukonRon  points out.  Sometimes you try too hard to get it perfect, it turns out ok, then next time you just wing it and everything falls into place without trying.   It is nice to see failures we can all learn from.  Posting failures should be "FORUM CODE."  I am taking that idea from the Free Beer and Hotwings morning show.  Not sure if any of you have heard it before but they are syndicated around the eastern half of the USA I know.  I catch them once in a while.  They have "SHOW CODE" where if something embarrassing happens to them or they do something stupid in their personal life, they are obligated to share on air.  Again, thanks for sharing.
    @kl8ton, do you use a dual temp gauge with an alarm?  If not you can get one on Amazon for as little as $80.  I use a dual temp gauge and set alarms for when my fire gets to low or when the meat reaches the desired temp an alarm goes off.  The gauge gives me piece of mind when I want to go to bed and still be able to look at a gauge to make sure it is all good.

Better luck on you next cook.

I have this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Long-Range-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B00ANCXJR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464877496&sr=8-1&keywords=dual+temp+gauges+for+bbqing

There is this one as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-IVAWT738-Wireless-Thermometer-Magnet/dp/B00FM8DJHQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464877536&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=dual+temp+gauges+for+bbqing

The iGrill2 is great as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/iDevices-IGR0009P5-iGrill2-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00NC4KU42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464877605&sr=8-1&keywords=igrill2

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    Hey all - as mentioned at the start of this thread, one random participant is going to win a SRF brisket for their trouble.  I want to make sure everyone that participated has a fair shot - so below are the names that are currently in the drawing.  I'm going to leave this here for today and draw a winner tomorrow, to give anyone that I might have missed or any late entries a chance to jump in.  PM me if your name should be added!  

• kl8ton
    Options
    @Ladeback69
    No alarms.  Thanks for the links - I will check them out.

Grand Rapids MI
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @Ladeback69

Mine has saved me a few times.  Sucks losing a brisket cook.  Were you able to at least salvage the point?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    I'm willing to bet that I've cooked 25 briskets in the past 4 years and I've never had such a complete failure from start to finish.  Booze probably had a lot to do with it, but that's no excuse!  Details - 

Egg Size:  Large
    Lump:  Grove Charcoal
    Wood:  Combo of oak and some hickory
    Store:  Costco
    Grade:  Prime
    Weight:  15.82 lbs, ~13.5 lbs after trimming
    Price: $2.89/lb
    Temp:  Wanted 270* at the time, but I couldn't move my egg off 300* and THIS is where ALL MY PROBLEMS ORIGINATED
    Rub:  Equal parts, by weight, of pepper, Kosher salt and a combo of garlic powder and chili powder
    Injection:  None
    Fat Cap:  Down
    Drip Pan:  Empty, air gapped
    Time Put On:  10:45pm
    Time Taken Off:  9:30am (!!)
    Internal Temp at 9:30:  223* (yikes)

Notes:  Just a cluster-fudge from the get-go on this.  I know better to not make the long line of mistakes I made on this cook.  First, I shouldn't have over-served myself so much... I was polluted.  Second, for what ever reason why, I miscalculated the time needed to cook a 13-14lb brisket and put it on too early.  Third, I did not catch the egg temp at 250* and instead of being patient for another 3-4 beers and getting it down, I *assumed* that if I put this mother on when everything read 300*, just putting the brisket in would drag the temp down to where I wanted it.  Fourth, I didn't do a good enough job monitoring the cook before I went to bed (passed out).  Fifth, I didn't get up early enough on Sunday morning to check on it (hung over).

Rookie mistake after rookie mistake.  Check that, brisket rookies wouldn't make those mistakes because they'd be on it better.  Pulled this train wreck at 9:30am and FTC'd it until 6:00pm.  It was still nice and warm, so that was probably the only thing that went right.  

1/4 of the flat was toast and the only edible portions was the rest of the flat and most a good chunk of the point.  It was dry, chewy and horrible.  I was embarrassed, but this has humbled me to get back to the basics of cooking brisket. 

I only took 2 pics, the seasoning and before I cut in to it.
    @Stoogie, thanks for the funny read.  It's too bad you ended up with a briquette, but it sounds like you know where things went awry.

I may drink a little less, but I have no less propensity to having cooks go pear shaped if I don't stay on top of them.  You (like I) are probably the poster child for a Flame Boss 200 (or something else of its kind).
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @Ladeback69

Mine has saved me a few times.  Sucks losing a brisket cook.  Were you able to at least salvage the point?

There were about three slices that contained moisture and those were in the thickest part of the point.  There were another 4-5 slices that tasted good but were dry.  I am going cut them up (what is left from my kids eating it) to mix them into scrambled eggs or shred to put on tacos this weekend.  I can get moisture elsewhere :smile:

My kids don't care about moisture content really. . . and i am still trying to teach them to not put ketchup or catsup (for those of you that swing that way) on everything.  

Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Some days the elevator...  Congrats @minnimoh.  Your SRF cook should warrant a separate post ;)
    Edit:  thanks again @SRFShane  for the reward.  Most eggcellent.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Some days the elevator...  Congrats @minnimoh.  Your SRF cook should warrant a separate post ;)
    Edit:  thanks again @SRFShane  for the reward.  Most eggcellent.
    I will second that motion.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Congrats, @minniemoh, you will really enjoy the SRF brisket. It's wonderful. Thanks again @SRFShane for looking after us.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC