Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For Cen-Tex. A 38.3 pound monster in the making.

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wardster said:
    I actually see that as a perk to the guy's cattle business.  Ideal for brisket?  Maybe not, but don't overlook the other cuts where that kind of marbling is sought after!!!!
    He's not hurting for business and I agree with you. The best hotel in Austin buys 100% of his ribeyes, strips and filets for their steakhouse. SGH said he ate 6 oz of it raw when he was trimming it and that it was incredible. I think the quality of the beef is undeniable.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'll let him off the hook:

I talked to him last night. he said the meat was incredible but there was so much fat that it was impossible to render it all out. grim had the same experience with his. He said about half of it was too fatty to eat but the parts that were meaty were "par excellent". This is pretty common with 100% wagyu- which is why SRF crosses them with Angus. So even though the meat was excellent, the yield was probably too low for using these on a regular basis. He did not want to say anything that was perceived as negative because he didn't want to hurt Josh's (The Ranger Cattle guy) business. I don't think it's negative to note what is known to be a common attribute of the breed. As you guys could see by the steak pics I posted on the other thread, the marbling is intense. Might be too intense for most people on an already fatty cut such as brisket or shoulder. 

Anyhow- I guess you could say it was a mixed bag. The meaty parts were awesome but as a whole, it was probably too fatty for most people's preference.  He probably ended up with a 20-30% yield after the initial trim and having to cut around the fatty parts

I'm going to try some of the steaks when he has some available and report back on those. I expect they are incredible based on the pics I've seen and the restaurants that take 100% of his production on them. I think that cuts like steaks might be better suited for the heavy marbling that is inherent to this breed. 

This might be off track thinking...but at the price per pound, $6, of this extremely high quality brisket I bet it would outstanding mixed and ground into burgers with some nice lean beef. Correct me if my $6 number is off. The threads were moving fast.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    It would be interesting to break that thing down into the point and the flat.  It sounds like there's an insane amount of fat throughout it, so it's more like a 20 # brisket with an extra 18# of fat.  I wonder if leanest part of the flat would be doable the way we usually cook packers.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I talked to him last night. he said the meat was incredible but there was so much fat that it was impossible to render it all out. grim had the same experience with his. He said about half of it was too fatty to eat but the parts that were meaty were "par excellent". This is pretty common with 100% wagyu- which is why SRF crosses them with Angus. So even though the meat was excellent, the yield was probably too low for using these on a regular basis. He did not want to say anything that was perceived as negative because he didn't want to hurt Josh's (The Ranger Cattle guy) business. I don't think it's negative to note what is known to be a common attribute of the breed. As you guys could see by the steak pics I posted on the other thread, the marbling is intense. Might be too intense for most people on an already fatty cut such as brisket or shoulder. 

Anyhow- I guess you could say it was a mixed bag. The meaty parts were awesome but as a whole, it was probably too fatty for most people's preference.  He probably ended up with a 20-30% yield after the initial trim and having to cut around the fatty parts

I'm going to try some of the steaks when he has some available and report back on those. I expect they are incredible based on the pics I've seen and the restaurants that take 100% of his production on them. I think that cuts like steaks might be better suited for the heavy marbling that is inherent to this breed. 

This might be off track thinking...but at the price per pound, $6, of this extremely high quality brisket I bet it would outstanding mixed and ground into burgers with some nice lean beef. Correct me if my $6 number is off. The threads were moving fast.
    He was in it for $7 all in. It was $4 per lb picked up at his place and the rest was shipping (box, dry ice, UPS etc).

Usually they are more in the 15 lbs range and he charges $100 for them. That's roughly $6.60 per lb. Still cheap enough that I would trim it up and grind it for burgers. I pay $11 per lb for RR brand from SRF. Hell, the way that flat looked and behaved you could almost cut steaks out of the meaty parts.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    He was in it for $7 all in. It was $4 per lb picked up at his place and the rest was shipping (box, dry ice, UPS etc).

Usually they are more in the 15 lbs range and he charges $100 for them. That's roughly $6.60 per lb. Still cheap enough that I would trim it up and grind it for burgers. I pay $11 per lb for RR brand from SRF. Hell, the way that flat looked and behaved you could almost cut steaks out of the meaty parts.

Thanks for all the added information...Really enjoyed following these posts.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    Too fatty for a brisket cook = just right for an awesome burger grind!
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Too fatty for a brisket cook = just right for an awesome burger grind!
    No shame in meat being too fatty.  You can only render out so much.  I would tend to agree this would be ideal to grind and mix with some leaner meat to balance out an 80/20 mix.
    Options

Brother @SGH....a man who has never shyed away from having an opinion or letting us know what he thinks about the daily topics in media, politics etc....suddenly goes dark.....dark because if he tells us how a cook goes he might hurt someone's feelings (business) but not really if he just explains it out like Cen Tex did.

say it aint so....

isn't this what's kind of wrong with the state of things today.....

kind of shocked....and half joking...but I don't think there was a reason to go dark with all the anticipation....

still top poster and very entertaining. What would brother Ronald have thought about this?

Seattle, WA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Ronald would have done whatever his handlers told him to do - and an hour later he would have forgotten that he did it.

(If that doesn't bring him out, nothing will)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blind99 said:
    It would be interesting to break that thing down into the point and the flat.  It sounds like there's an insane amount of fat throughout it, so it's more like a 20 # brisket with an extra 18# of fat.  I wonder if leanest part of the flat would be doable the way we usually cook packers.
    That may work. I'm going to grab a small one when he gets one and play around with it. Sounds to me like it was an unmanageable amount of fat throughout and he had to pick and choose the edible stuff.

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker that was a great update.  Glad to hear all the details 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    blind99 said:
    That's what I did. Mine is broken apart. I trimmed like a mad man on mine and ended up accidently separating. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options

I talked to him last night. he said the meat was incredible but there was so much fat that it was impossible to render it all out...
    Pffft.   That's interesting and all, but it'd be a better story if it involved hookers, blow and bail.  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • blind99
    Options
    I saw the picture Scotty posted on the other thread of the brisket on the large egg. My first thought was that it looked like a pork belly. That's a crazy big slab.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I saw the picture Scotty posted on the other thread of the brisket on the large egg. My first thought was that it looked like a pork belly. That's a crazy big slab.  
    Grims looks even stranger. I wouldn't have known where to start with that one. The meat is gorgeous but there there has got to be 70% at in what kind of looks like the point. These things are alien looking to me.
  • blind99
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Grims looks even stranger. I wouldn't have known where to start with that one. The meat is gorgeous but there there has got to be 70% at in what kind of looks like the point. These things are alien looking to me.
    You'll have to keep us posted about other briskets or other cuts you cook from these cows. I wonder what a tongue would be like?!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Thanks @The_Cen_Tex_Smoker for filling the void and appreciate the insights.  But when you sign on and own it, it's time to front-up and take it to the finish-line.  No need for a filter...just an opinion and well all know what those are worth.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Agreed.  Who needs a filter?
    This is something Hillary would do.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2016
    Options
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    It seems to me like there might have been more going on here than a fatty brisket. Perhaps we should let this thread die and just be happy when @sgh is back sharing his knowledge. 
    New Orleans LA
  • SkinnyV
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Flare for the dramatic? It would not be the first time..... 
    No love lost but it's the truth. Many fans have been left asking and waiting away in previous threads. It's almost a celebrity / fan like relationship.... Yes I know it's a silly forum ( we all get it and I'm sure play along just the same for entertainment value....I hope)
    i say most of this in fun.really I do
    Seattle, WA
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think @SGH photoshopped a 3.83lb. brisket on the lbge. and just moved the decimal place to the right a bit, and as proof, he showed another picture of it sitting on a spatula just before wrapping it.   And it's not even April 1!          ;)

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Flare for the dramatic? It would not be the first time..... 

I didn't intend to imply any dramatics.   Maybe he had a bad weekend.  But it is obvious he does not care to post about it.  We should just let it go.
    New Orleans LA
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    "Failure to Launch"...lol!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Focker
    edited June 2016
    Options
    "All hat and no cattle."
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SkinnyV
    edited June 2016
    Options
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Damn hopefully he's ok. I know we all know he's pulled the disappearing act before, but this is a little different. Has anyone called him?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Called him what? See what I did there....