Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE Brisket Size

Options

I will be trying my first brisket on my LBGE this weekend. I know all briskets will vary, but have you guys found an average size weight wise that will comfortably fit in a large? I don't really want to show up at Costco with a tape measure.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I like them around 10 lbs but you can easily fit 12-15lbs on there. I've fit 20 lbs on there but it was tight. Some guys drape the long ones over a rib rack or a brick but I just "accordion" them in there and they shrink to fit pretty quickly
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    My last 12 lb brisket just fit on my large laying flat. FWIW
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just find a brisket that looks no longer than 18 inches and you will be fine.  If need be you can drape the brisket over something like an inverted V-rack.  I would suggest using a large foil pan on the plate setter to create a larger indirect area under the brisket. 

Here is a pic stolen from the interweb:

FWIW the post I stole this from said it was a 13 lb brisket. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• driller2838
    Options
    Thanks, never thought of draping it over something.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Depending on your source of packers, most around here at Costco run in the 13+ to 17lb range.  In most cases even after trimming (unless you lope off a good slice of the flat), they will push the outer limits of the LBGE grate diameter.  Sometimes you can find a more rounded shape to one but that is a major exception.  No issues with draping and then letting shrinkage take over til it will fit flat.  Regardless, make sure any part that is outside your heat deflector is foil protected for the duration.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Decent avatar.  You'll do great!
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,655
    Options
    Roll Tide!    B)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I've done a 19 lb before. I remove the point from the flat before starting. I find the point cooks quicker so I can put it on later and cook each to temp without having to overcook one waiting for the other to get done.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

I will be trying my first brisket on my LBGE this weekend. I know all briskets will vary, but have you guys found an average size weight wise that will comfortably fit in a large? 

I can tell you this for sure. A 38 pounder does not fit well at all. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I know that elbow to finger tip is about the length of my AR oval rack. So I use that to measure when I am buying ribs or brisket. I usually look for around a 14 lb brisket that doesn't have a flat that is too tapered and still bends well in the package.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Geaux Tigers!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.