Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inspired by Texaswig

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
Brisket tacos. The best.
Used burnt ends, in my own molasses tomato based sauce, smoked Colby jack and slaw. Best food ever.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• CurtisMaximus
    Options

Looks great...hope you got enough for everyone!

L BGE
  • YukonRon
    Options

Looks great...hope you got enough for everyone!

I have enough for about 5 more. I used the rest of the brisket 12 oz and 6 oz of leftover tenderloin roast for vegetable beef soup.....still simmering.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Saw the title and just knew I'd find tacos!! You definitely didn't disappoint! Looks tremendous.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nicely done sir.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Man does that look good. I hope you gathering went well. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I met @Texaswig in Salado.  I find the idea of him being inspirational somewhat oxymoronic.  While the rest of us worked to pump out good food he just wandered around and ate our food and drank our beer.

Although I guess maybe I should have been inspired to do that....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Very very nice Mr Ron!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Man does that look good. I hope you gathering went well. 
    It really did, My Beautiful Wife was the most wonderful hostess, and the neighbors all brought a dish that they wanted to cook on the XL. It was a very fun evening.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Very very nice Mr Ron!!!!
    Thank you!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Saw the title and just knew I'd find tacos!! You definitely didn't disappoint! Looks tremendous.
    The children rolled out of bed, found the burnt ends, end of story. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Hotch said:
    Nicely done sir.
    Thank you sir!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Foghorn said:
    I met @Texaswig in Salado.  I find the idea of him being inspirational somewhat oxymoronic.  While the rest of us worked to pump out good food he just wandered around and ate our food and drank our beer.

I did the same thing at the NCBB. Dude's got it going on, I'm thinking.
    My Beautiful Wife thought this was the best brisket I have made this far. Neighbors went nuttier than squirrel shid over it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks delicious Ron!  Nice work!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    That looks delicious Ron!  Nice work!
    Yeah it was, kids killed it. Just that fast. At least we are into the soup now. That was a killer Brisket this time. I really liked the results from the injections. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's what I'm talking about. Hard to go wrong with tacos . that's what makes texas so awesome. We're all taco fueled.  @Foghorn bro there's nothing that taste better than others free beer. Now go make me some more of those bad a** wings. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Foghorn said:

He did the same thing in New Orleans then rolled out some banging pulled beef tacos that were a highlight of the day. Come correct or don't come at all!
  • Foghorn
    Options
    In Salado he just strolled around like he owned the place - you know - like he was @Mickey or something. 

And sorry for the thread hijack. The tacos do look outstanding. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    In Salado he just strolled around like he owned the place - you know - like he was @Mickey or something. 

It is all good. I got no problem cooking in the shadow of legends. I got to tell you though, smoked brisket, in my Vegetable Beef soup is rocking it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Foghorn said:

It is all good. I got no problem cooking in the shadow of legends. I got to tell you though, smoked brisket, in my Vegetable Beef soup is rocking it.
    Said the Jedi Master to the Jedi Knight.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:

He was following my MO, as that is what i usually do. Good to know that he was paying attention when I was demonstrating.

And if that wasn't enough, he put out some boudain jalapeno popper thingies at the Athens eggfest which were devoured in minutes. Also brought along gear for us to cook on, even though he didn't need to use it himself. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Very nice....You have tacos mastered.  
    Pozole made with with leftover brisket is pretty darn good too.   
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Just be careful, he's been known to offer tacos and then say 'come with me, they're in the van'
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    For the record.... I brought my own beer and rum and shared both. And the only free beer I had was a sip of @Foghorn s monk made beer to be polite. I also helped handout food to cooks who never get to taste everything. I totally didn't mean to come off like I owned the place. I was just there to see my friends and talk food. @YukonRon sorry your thread was jacked because you were trying to be nice and mentioned me. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • YukonRon
    Options
    texaswig said:
    For the record.... I brought my own beer and rum and shared both. And the only free beer I had was a sip of @Foghorn s monk made beer to be polite. I also helped handout food to cooks who never get to taste everything. I totally didn't mean to come off like I owned the place. I was just there to see my friends and talk food. @YukonRon sorry your thread was jacked because you were trying to be nice and mentioned me. 
    No issues here, my man. It's all fun, just having some experiments and tasty food. Thanks for the inspiration. I am learning a lot along the way. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hotch
    Options
    Foghorn said:

@Foghorn @Texaswig brought a bottle of rum to the afterparty that well "Loosened Up" a few of us. That was some killer rum. Do you get to partake in this? If memory serves me correct, I think we pretty much finished it off.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @Hotch, I did not get any of the rum, but I wasn't lacking for adult beverages that evening.  Beer plus apple pie moonshine was more than sufficient. 

@texaswig, please don't take my comments seriously.  I was just trying to enhance the thread with some good-natured ribbing.  It's all good.

San Antonio, TX

• Hotch
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Foghorn That beer you had your son sneak across state lines was killer!!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Well I want to know more about the molasses tomato-based sauce. 

Little Rock, AR

• YukonRon
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well I want to know more about the molasses tomato-based sauce. 

I have to to make more before I do another brisket or butt. This recipe feeds an Army. I make it prior to taking butts down to the shelters.
    • 2 1/2 cups water
    • 18 - ounce can tomato paste
    • 12 - ounce bottle molasses (1-1/2 cups)
    • 1 1/2 cups dark-color corn syrup
    • 3/4 cup vinegar
    • 3/4 cup honey
    • tablespoons smoked paprika
    • 4 tablespoons ( or more ) Bourbon
    • tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    • tablespoon liquid smoke
    • tablespoon bottled hot pepper sauce
    • teaspoon garlic powder
    • teaspoon chili powder
    • teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/4-1 teaspoon ground red pepper
    • bay leaves

directions

1. Combine all ingredientes in a 4-quart Dutch oven. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; cook and stir, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Refrigerate, covered, up to 2 weeks or freeze for longer storage. Reheat and pass with cooked meat or brush on beef, pork, or poultry during the last 10 minutes of grilling. Makes 8 cups (32, 1/4-cup servings).

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    So is that a no?

Little Rock, AR