Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs Too Dry...

Options
Hello everyone.  I smoked my first slab of baby backs yesterday.  They had a decent taste but they were drier and tougher than I wanted them to be.  Pictured below.

I followed this recipe from the BGE website: http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Takeo-Spikes-Ribs.pdf, which is the 2-2-1 method.  From previous posts I have read, I may have pulled the ribs too early.  They were about 180*F between the bones when I pulled them off.  During the foil step, I placed the bone side down and other posters have said to put the meat side down during this step.  Not sure how much that matters.  The ribs seemed to not have much fat when I purchased them.  Also, I had to let them sit in a covered aluminum pan and towel for an hour while other food was prepared.

Any tips for my next ribs so end up with the better results?

Thanks!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    What temp you smoking them? Did you add anything when you foiled them? Butter, broth, etc? You can skip foil and mist them if they look to be cooking fast and drying. Add moisture 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • drd24au
    drd24au Posts: 15
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    What temp you smoking them? Did you add anything when you foiled them? Butter, broth, etc? You can skip foil and mist them if they look to be cooking fast and drying. Add moisture 
    Sorry I failed to mention that. 230* cooking temperature. I added 12 oz of apple juice in a heavy duty foil pan with heavy duty foil to cover the pan. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    not done

dry and tough is underdone

dry and brittle is overdone.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'm going with underdone.  It is very hard to get accurate temp readings from the meat between the bone.  You either want the bend test (bends to almost 90° when picked up with tongs) or the toothpick test (toothpick feels no resistance when probed between bones) before you pull the meat off the egg.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • drd24au
    Options
    So if they are not done doing 2-2-1 at 230*F, should have I left them on for longer during the final step?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Longer for sure or go hotter.  Matts done tests above work well.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    230 is low.

3-1-1 at 250 was my loin back rib method for a while. it was often still not quite done.

so yeah, higher temp, and/or longer.  longer in the braise step will lead to soup.  i would add the time up front, and whatever is required in the last step to finish.  throw away the clock. they're done when they bend easily
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Just dont over think it. If you want to foil do it when they get to the color u want as opposed to a specific time. I feel like 2 hours foiled is too much but I don't foil at all so each their own. Like others have said don't go by time. Toothpick is ur best friend checking for doneness on ribs. Keep practicing. You'll get it. Oh, and get spares. Better fat and more forgiving. 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Throw meat temperature idea out the window. Probe and bend test. Have been cooking ribs in my Reverse Flow, temperature floats between 260*-290*. Only dry rack I had was when I changed my rub recipe...
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    And don't foil...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I do this and always get good EASY ribs.
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I do this and always get good EASY ribs.
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Drop the Mike and walk off the stage.  Absolute agreement.  Bookmark.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Do what Mickey says and you will never go back to any other method.  
    I am not a mustard fan so I dry brine with kosher salt and one hour before cooking I layer on the Cluck and Squeal.  
    I cook enough for leftovers...To re-warm them wrap in foil with 2 tablespoons of water and on the egg for 20 minute indirect at 325.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I do something very similar. Pull membrane, season, and put on indirect at 275-300 degree dome temp. Usually takes between 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. After I notice the meat has started shrinking away from the bone, I use the bend test to check for doneness.

XL BGE
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Looks overdone. I cook only baby backs, 2 1/2 to three hours at 275-300 (grate), except for the time needed to get to temp after putting on the meat. No wrapping. Bend test. I experimented with all the methods and this was the easiest, tastiest method for me. I serve mine dry, sauce on the side. Last bunch I pulled before bend test indicated because I was sure they were done. They were. Mine turn out perfect every time. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    MY two cents...depends on the cut of the ribs

If the ribs are fatty...let them roll for longer and a lower temp....ribs will be very juicy..

If the ribs are lean, this is where is gets tricky and experience rules, you will need to introduce fat....meaning...if I am cooking competition style ribs, I will look for very lean ribs, not fatty at all. Then after 1 hour of cooking I will introduce the fat slurry....i take about two cups of Parkay squirt butter, a half a cup of apple juice, 1 small can of apple pie filling, 1/4 cup of maple syrup, 3 table spoons of white pepper, and 1 table spoon of cayenne pepper,mix that in a blender for several minutes...baste that all over the ribs and wrap for an hour...unwrap and baste with house BBQ sauce to let that set for the next hour to hour and half until done. 3 to 3 and 1/2 hours between 225 and 275 total..

Never had any complaints...but as with any BBQ..this is strictly a template and the bend and pull back tests are what I go by to ensure doneness....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• drd24au
    Options
    jlsm said:
    Looks overdone. I cook only baby backs, 2 1/2 to three hours at 275-300 (grate), except for the time needed to get to temp after putting on the meat. No wrapping. Bend test. I experimented with all the methods and this was the easiest, tastiest method for me. I serve mine dry, sauce on the side. Last bunch I pulled before bend test indicated because I was sure they were done. They were. Mine turn out perfect every time. 
    @jlsm interesting.  Why do you think they are overdone?
  • jlsm
    Options
    @drd24au. Cooking BBs for 5 hours even at your low temp seems like a very long time to me. And way too much bone seems to be exposed; my ribs pull up just a quarter inch or so. Finally, they look like they have a very dense crust. Much of the advice on the board deals with St. Louis cut, a different animal. 
  • jlsm
    Options
    @drd24au. Cooking BBs for 5 hours even at your low temp seems like a very long time to me. And way too much bone seems to be exposed; my ribs pull up just a quarter inch or so. Finally, they look like they have a very dense crust. Much of the advice on the board deals with St. Louis cut, a different animal. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Underdone. Always probe between the bones in several spots to feel what they're doing. Should probe like buttuh. No worries there is always next time :peace:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    jlsm said:
    3-1-1 is a common cook for loin ribs.  that foiling step actually accelrates the cook too.  5 hours isn't too long really.