Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy, new egg, long story

Options
A few years ago my good friend John Luke tells me a charcoal plant is closing shop and it's the best out there.... I believe it was Ozark Oak, or something like that.  Just so happens the grocery store across the street from my office bought the last pallet.  I drive over, buy 50 bags and my buddy drives over from Tennessee to hang out a couple of hours and pick up the now priceless bags of charred wood.  He leaves me scratching my head about these big green eggs.  2-3 years later, my wife and I decide to redo the deck and as part of the deal I tell her I'd like to replace our rusted out propane grill with a BGE.  She's cool with it and I start saving up.  A few months go by and I take a trip to Nashvegas for business.  Mom watches the kids one evening and allows them to empty out the master bathtub onto the tile and carpet connected the bathroom to the master bedroom.  I come home 2 days later to a stench that would knock a buzzard off a shitwagon.  Some quick and breath-holding investigation reveals the carpet had molded nicely and needed some time to dry, before being replaced of course.  3 days go by, I get some time for golf and hop in my golf cart to find the charger plugged in properly, but the light switch left on.  Checked connections, all good.  Checked batteries, completely toasted.  I asked my wife who was the last person to use my golf cart and her reply was my loving mother........breathe, just breathe.....So, in one weekend, the damage done from one evening of mom watching the kids amounted to $3500 in new floors golf cart batteries.  Luckily, I had enough in my emergency fund (and gun fund) to cover it.  Mom felt really bad and I told her not to worry about it, I had it covered.  Dad laughed when he found out the toasted batteries were only a month old.  "Yep, paying for your raising!"  Thanks dad.  Anyway, last Friday a BGE appeared on my new deck as an I'm sorry present from my mother. I have to say, I was very happily surprised.  So, now I have brand new BGE and today I put some charcoal in it and set it aflame.  It took a couple hours of burning charcoal and playing with the vents to figure out what to cook.  Decided on mac and cheese followed by a pair of ribeye and new york strips.  Mac and cheese turned out incredible.  I overcooked the steaks, but they were still tender with great flavor.  I didn't take any pics of the steaks since they looked the same as what I've pulled off any other grill (albeit they tasted way better), but I did snap a pic of the mac and cheese....I'll have to post pics as a reply, can't get it to attach at the moment.  
Tomorrow or Wednesday I'll have the platesetter stone and try to smoke some ribs.  I can tell this is going to get fun and I'll spend some time lurking around this forum to pick up some smoking tips.  
Cheers!

Harrison, AR - Large BGE
Make a life, not a living.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Welcome.  Post plenty of pics!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Nice opening story and welcome to the eggdiction.  If you go hot and fast on a steak cook it can be done in about 8 to 10 minutes so you have to keep an eye on it.  Go about 650 for 2 minutes a side, shut the vents for about 3 to 4 more and it should be medium.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    Congrats on the egg. I know the feeling when you've been saving dor something only to have a huge set back in funding. Of course if you listen to everyone here you will never be able to afford anything ever again now that you have the egg :)
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to the Hotel Eggafornia. Keep your egg fund, you are going to need it.
    Just have fun, and try not to think about wallet genocide.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Nice opening story and welcome to the eggdiction.  If you go hot and fast on a steak cook it can be done in about 8 to 10 minutes so you have to keep an eye on it.  Go about 650 for 2 minutes a side, shut the vents for about 3 to 4 more and it should be medium.
    Whatever you do, don't shut the vents. This is such a misguided recipe that puts a lot of crap in your body. Just cook it with the vents open at 650F, 3-4 minutes per side is usually medium rare. 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Cliff notes: His mom kicks arse! 

Welcome! 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Nice story and welcome to the asylum
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    1move said:
    Whatever you do, don't shut the vents. This is such a misguided recipe that puts a lot of crap in your body. Just cook it with the vents open at 650F, 3-4 minutes per side is usually medium rare. 

I heard this before, but don't understand what is "created" by closing the vents.  
    I've been using the old BGE method for years  
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Welcome.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Welcome aboard 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    1move said:

I heard this before, but don't understand what is "created" by closing the vents.  
    During the incomplete combustion of carbon and hydrocarbons, other byproducts are formed, carbon dioxide, water, carbon monoxide, hydrogen, and other forms of pure carbon, such as soot and creosote.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    That was a heck of a story!  <laughing>  Welcome!  I'm sure you're going to have a ball with your new Egg!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Not a bad way to back into a egg. Well sorry for your troubles. Welcome aboard and lets get to egging.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Good story.  We left my mother-in-law in charge of the kids at one point and came home to a baby possum in a shoe box that she and the kids were feeding whatever google said to feed baby possums...

She didn't buy us an egg though...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Friends, SWMBO, children, your parents, good lump and an Egg. 

Life is good!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited May 2016
    Options
    1move said:
    Tony_T said:
    1move said:

During the incomplete combustion of carbon and hydrocarbons, other byproducts are formed, carbon dioxide, water, carbon monoxide, hydrogen, and other forms of pure carbon, such as soot and creosote.

I did this method of steaks just once when I first got the egg because that what was in the little cook book - huge mistake - had to keep them in there too long to hit the desired temp and then overshot AND served some of the sootiest, smokiest hunks of meat to my family.  I recommend NOT doing steaks this way - go indirect/reverse sear or just go direct hot and fast.  Give your steaks plenty of time on the counter to warm up a bit before grilling.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    Welcome to the club.   A long road to get here but now you finally get to know what has the rest of us head over heels for these things.

New Brunswick, Canada

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Your friend in Tennessee, is his name Tony?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice story and glad to see Mom came through, although you probably shouldn't let Mom use the egg....Just saying.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Welcome!
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Congratulations on the new egg. Have Fun and don't let your MIL near it 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Welcome to the (as my wife says) Eggccult.  Enjoy.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Dude! Congrats on the Egg and you are welcome ;)
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @shtgunal3 Tony @henapple is the guy who turned me on to Ozark Oak, if not for him I'd never have driven all the way to Arkansas to buy the last 500lbs. And definitely not just to hang out with @rhubbarddds haha
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options

Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • rhubbarddds
    Options
    Don't let mom near the egg....noted!  
    Harrison, AR - Large BGE
    Make a life, not a living.