Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    For the win ;)
    Here's the data:
    Size Egg:LBGE  Charcoal: Rockwood  Wood:  JD Oak Chunks
    Store:  Costco  Grade: Prime
    Weight: (post-trim) 12.2 lbs  Price: $2.89/lb
    Temp: between 250-280*F on the dome-calibrated
    Rub: homemade S&P with bourbon smoked paprika and garlic applied over a layer of cheap yellow mustard and pickle juice.
    Injected with:   N/A
    Trimming –generally follow Franklin guide
    Time you put it on:  0700 (EDT) Time you took it off: 1615 (EDT)
    Fap:  Down
    Ran nekked entire cook        Foiled at what temp  N/A
    FTC?   Yes    How long FTC  ~ 150 minutes.
    Drip pan: air-gapped empty   Added to drip pan  N/A
    Special notes- cook time again around 0.75 hrs/lb.  Friggin cow!   Rested for about 25 mins before wrap and pack.

Three pics:  

That's all I've got-time to climb into some bourbon.  
    Great fun-again thanks to @westernbbq for organizing this.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    This thread is epic.  I love that some folks who have never cooked a brisket before are coming out of the woodwork do them.  Keep the great briskets coming. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    FTC for an hour.

Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    RECAP
    prime grade, trimmed, Oak Ridge Special Ops rub, no injection, drip pan to catch drippings only, on at 10:30, off at 4:30 (6 hours cook time), dome temp between 250-300, pecan cherry and hickory wood, Rockwood lump, wrapped in butcher paper at 165 IT, done at 205 IT, fat cap up, spritzed with water every 30 min. until the wrap, Large Green Egg, adjustable rig, 5lb flat.

Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Foghorn
    RECAP
    prime grade, trimmed, Oak Ridge Special Ops rub, no injection, drip pan to catch drippings only, on at 10:30, off at 4:30 (6 hours cook time), dome temp between 250-300, pecan cherry and hickory wood, Rockwood lump, wrapped in butcher paper at 165 IT, done at 205 IT, fat cap up, spritzed with water every 30 min. until the wrap, Large Green Egg, adjustable rig, 5lb flat.

@Philicious, that right there is money.  And your technique sounds very similar to mine.  Butcher paper and fat side up are the crucial pieces to the puzzle that is brisket. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    My first brisket cook. Thanks for the inspiration!

12 lb. choice packer from local butcher. Trimmed to 1/4". Centex's rub. Royal oak lump. Pecan, apple, hickory chunks. Adjustable rig with dry drip pan. 250 degrees steady. Fat cap up on at 11:00 pm. Wrapped in paper at 3:30 am at 165 degrees. Probed like buttah at 203 degrees at 6 am. Cooked much faster than I expected. FTC until 3:45 pm when sliced. I need a better knife. Enjoyed by all! The FTC was too long, but still edible eats.

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275

Size Egg   Large                                                                                                

Charcoal      Royal Oak                       Wood   Oak/Cherry                                  

Store    Norman Bros. /Miami              Grade  Choice                                 

Weight    8 lbs.                                   Price   too much                                   

Temp     240                                                                                               

Rub        Lanes BBQ Brisket Rub          Injected with    n/a                 

Trimming instructions                                                                    

Time you put it on     4:30 a.m.           Time you took it off        4:00 pm

Fat cap           Down                                                                    

Paper wrapped at 170 (conclusion of stall)  pulled off at 195

FTC?     yes, Paper wrapped                  How long FTC      3 hrs.                       

Drip pan?     Yes                               Added to drip pan     Water          

Special notes:  First brisket ever.  Although I ordered a whole brisket, I received a cryovac flat from the market - very disappointing.  Stall was 4 hours.  I'd rate this a 7 out of 10.   Next time, I'll leave on to 205 and thinner rub coating.  Pleased, but would try again w/ a prime, whole, to see difference.                                                  

2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Ok. Brisket fail.

Prime grade from costco.  2.89 per pound
    12lbS before trimming
    Platesetter with raised drip pan No liquid
    Rockwood lump with oak chunks filled to Platesetter
    275 dome for entire cook
    Time on 9pm
    Time off when I woke up 7am
    Temp when pulled off 215 :angry:
    Let rest until 145
    Dry & tough 
    Three slices were salvageable
    No wrapping
    Rub was salt and pepper
    Fat cap down
    Large egg
    No injection
    Should have run it at 225. 
    Can't believe it cooked that quick
    I have never experienced one at less than 18 hours. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Dinner party with neighbors tonight. One, was heading to the Gulf for fishing, pushed it back one day to attend. Have maybe 1 lb left over from a 13.4 start. The slightest and smallest of us all, pounded down on brisket. Maybe 75 pounds with rocks in her pockets, ate about 3.5 pounds, by herself. Amazing. Sent some home with her. The rest, will go in vegetable beef soup, this week. Wonderful evening, fabulous dinner party.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Noone around me sells a brisket worth a damn. So i just put 18 pounds of pork shoulder on instead.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    edited May 2016
    Such a great conversation. Thanks to @westernbbq
    My brisket is on now
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Love seeing everybody's cooks and the descriptions, which have been a big help as I planned for my first-ever brisket, which went on about 9 p.m. Will post finish pics and details tomorrow.
    Stillwater, MN
  • HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Love seeing everybody's cooks and the descriptions, which have been a big help as I planned for my first-ever brisket, which went on about 9 p.m. Will post finish pics and details tomorrow.
    How many lbs? What time are you hoping for?
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • Foghorn
    Noone around me sells a brisket worth a damn. So i just put 18 pounds of pork shoulder on instead.

The upside is that you have an easier journey.  More adult beverages for you. 

San Antonio, TX

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    How many lbs? What time are you hoping for?
    It was about 14.5 pounds and I must have trimmed about two pounds. Thankfully I'm not cooking for a large group of guests or anything like that so when it's done it's done and I'll FTC for hopefully three hours or more. The BGE is cruising along nicely about 240 and the brisket seemed to climbing rapidly, nearly 160 after 3 1/2 hours, but it may have been poor probe placement and I'm sure a stall is just around the corner anyway.
    Stillwater, MN
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Foghorn said:

The upside is that you have an easier journey.  More adult beverages for you. 
    Yeah its 2 am, pork has been on for 3 hours now. I am about done with beer for the night. Just watched the pilot of Preacher. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• After 2 20lb briskets

3 rounds of wings
    and 2 dozen ears of corn I just dropped some pork in the ol'egg. What a weekend so far!! Love it!!
    Happy egg'n everyone!
  • Foghorn
    After 2 20lb briskets

3 rounds of wings
    and 2 dozen ears of corn I just dropped some pork in the ol'egg. What a weekend so far!! Love it!!
    Happy egg'n everyone!
    That is strong work. Good stamina.  All your previous cooks have been interval training preparing for this. 

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Slightly random question- do you all use the 18" butcher paper or do you need the 24"?

Greensboro, NC
  • Foghorn
    I use 24" because that's what they had and I got a 1000 ft roll of it.  With that being said, I think 18" would work for most mortal briskets.  If you are planning on cooking a 38 pounder like some around here you may want bigger paper. 

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Thanks @Foghorn
    Greensboro, NC
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Foghorn said:
    I use 24" because that's what they had and I got a 1000 ft roll of it.  With that being said, I think 18" would work for most mortal briskets.  If you are planning on cooking a 38 pounder like some around here you may want bigger paper. 
    From the "anything worth doing is worth overdoing" files, I didn't like having to overlap two sheets to fit around a brisket, so I now have a lifetime supply of 36"
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • F3DAWG
    F3DAWG Posts: 98
    Tropical depression Bonnie made it a little tough but we had a great family meal!

Summerville, SC
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    lousubcap said:
    For the win ;)
    Here's the data:
    Size Egg:LBGE  Charcoal: Rockwood  Wood:  JD Oak Chunks
    Store:  Costco  Grade: Prime
    Weight: (post-trim) 12.2 lbs  Price: $2.89/lb
    Temp: between 250-280*F on the dome-calibrated
    Rub: homemade S&P with bourbon smoked paprika and garlic applied over a layer of cheap yellow mustard and pickle juice.
    Time you put it on:  0700 (EDT) Time you took it off: 1615 (EDT)
    Ran nekked entire cook        Foiled at what temp  N/A
    FTC?   Yes    How long FTC  ~ 150 minutes.
    Drip pan: air-gapped empty   Added to drip pan  N/A
    Special notes- cook time again around 0.75 hrs/lb.  Friggin cow!   Rested for about 25 mins before wrap and pack.

Thanks for the template, will use when I post my cook :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Okay here's mine!  Hey - a separate thread for the SRF drawing might help...

Size Egg:      Large                                                                                    

Charcoal:     Royal Oak                    Wood:  Hickory and some cherry

Store:  Sam's                                    Grade:   Cert. Angus Choice

Weight:   9.3 lbs                               Price:     $4.77/lb                              

Temp:      275                                                                                             

Rub:     1 part Turbinado, 1 part salt, 2 parts DP Game On

Injected with:   nada

Trimming instructions: just a bit of fat cap to even it out                                                                   

Time you put it on:  9am               Time you took it off:  5:30pm

Fat cap  Up X          Down                                                                   

Foiled at what time:  3pm           Foiled at what temp:  165

FTC?  Yes                                        How long FTC:  1 hour

Drip pan?  Yes                               Added to drip pan: nada

Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Texag06ish
    Texag06ish Posts: 135
    edited May 2016
    Here's the data:
    Size Egg: XLBGE
    Charcoal: Royal Oak
    Wood: Chunked Mesquite
    Store: Costco  Grade: Select 
    Weight: (post-trim) 11.29 lbs  Price: $1.69/lb 
    Temp: 285*F on the dome-calibrated; Pitmaster IQ set to 275* grate temp
    Rub: S&P with Fiesta Brand Brisket Rub on top of yellow mustard
    Injected with: N/A 
    Trimming: Followed the Franklin book 
    Time put on:  900PM (CDT) Time you took it off: 930AM 
    Butcher paper wraped at 175
    Drip pan: Water
    Added to drip pan  N/A 

Special notes: spritzed with Apple Coder Vinegar 

i forgot to take pics. Hopefully I'll remember when we slice it later.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Don't forget @EggObsessed chili if you have any leftovers!  http://itsmyrub.com/award-winning-smoked-brisket-chili/

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    Size Egg:LBGE
    Charcoal: royal oak/simple truth
    Wood:  Texas Red Oak Chunks
    Store:  HEB
    Grade: Prime 

Weight: (post-trim) 10.7lbs 
    Price: $3.37/lb 

Temp: between 255-280*F on the dome-calibrated
    Rub: 1/3 each DP Dizzy Dust Coarse Grind, DP Cow Lick, Turbinado Sugar
    Time you put it on:  2030 CDT
    Time you took it off: 0915 (CDT) 

Ran nekked entire cook      
    Foiled at what temp  N/A 

FTC?   Yes    How long FTC  ~ 6 hrs
    Drip pan: air-gapped empty   
    Added to drip pan  N/A 

Special notes- cook time just over 1hr/lb. temp dropped overnight down to 230 dome. Bumped back up to 265ish by 7:30 am.  Rested for about 25 mins before wrap. 

Here are are the pre-FTC pics. More to come.
  • @Texag06ish are all the data point questions coming from a software program. I've been keeping my info in a spiral notebook. Looks like there may be a better way?
  • cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    kl8ton said:
    Ok. Brisket fail.

Prime grade from costco.  2.89 per pound
    12lbS before trimming
    Platesetter with raised drip pan No liquid
    Rockwood lump with oak chunks filled to Platesetter
    275 dome for entire cook
    Time on 9pm
    Time off when I woke up 7am
    Temp when pulled off 215 :angry:
    Let rest until 145
    Dry & tough 
    Three slices were salvageable
    No wrapping
    Rub was salt and pepper
    Fat cap down
    Large egg
    No injection
    Should have run it at 225. 
    Can't believe it cooked that quick
    I have never experienced one at less than 18 hours. 

Sorry to hear about that. I find 275 will cook right at 1hr/lb. I'm guessing your trimmed weight was close to 10lbs, but still surprised you got up to 215 in 10 hrs.