Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How should I cook filets new to the egg

Deedee60
Deedee60 Posts: 1
i wonder if I need to sear them with direct high heat around 500 and then let the temp go down to about 400 and finish them?  Any advice for medium filets would be appreciated!

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Whole fillet? Or steaks?
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • I am a firm believer in the reverse sear, especially with filets. I dial the egg in ~300-350 (direct or indirect) and get the steaks up to about 10-15 degrees from my final temp goal. Then pull the meat, open the vents wide open to get up to 550-600+ and sear both sides.

I think it is a lot easier to raise the temp of an egg quickly than lower it.

Have fun

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Jstroke said:
    Whole fillet? Or steaks?
    Wha wha wha??? 'Fillet' means steak, yo! Except maybe with regard to fish, where it still means a thin slice

i assume he/she means tenderloin fillets, but we'd need to know how thick anyway

Reverse sear, or hot tub if thick

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Ok, ok, you got me. Slipped got egg on my face. Yes, whole tenderloin or steaks. To me fillet is anything up to an including the entire thing.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • NERVOUS
    NERVOUS Posts: 104
    From one beginner to another, the reverse sear method is stupid simple!

NOTE:  Get yourself a cast iron skillet when you're ready to take your searing game to the next level!  
    Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
    "Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    "Fillet" though literally refers to a slice of any meat. Any steak is a fillet. 

"Filet" (with the one 'L') is something you see w/r/t tenderloin when they say 'filet mignon', which just means small steak

i think though colloquially grill peeps often refer to a filet meaning only tenderloin. But a strip steak is a fillet too, for ex. 

I was only hung up on it cuz OP didn't give us enough info. Not tryna browbeat :)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    "Fillet" though literally refers to a slice of any meat. Any steak is a fillet. 

All steaks are not fillets. Fillet specifically refers to cuts of meat with no bones. As in filet Mignon. At least that's my understanding :)

New Orleans LA
  • ThrasherIII
    ThrasherIII Posts: 252

New to the Egg, how does the Reverse Sear work better than Sear first?

• for a 6oz filet i get the egg to 650-800 degress and sear each side for 3 minutes. Wrap in foil for 5-10 minutes and serve. i let the steaks sit out while the egg is heating up.

For bigger steaks i put them in the oven @225 for 30 minutes then sear each side 3-5 min (depending on how people like thier meat and how big they are) and wrap in foil for 5-10 minutes and serve. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited June 2016

New to the Egg, how does the Reverse Sear work better than Sear first?

It accomplishes the same basic principle - hot heat to create a brown crust on the outside, steak cooked all the way through.  It is just a lot easier to get the egg to roasting temps and do that part of the cook, and then crank the heat to sear, than doing it the other way.  If you get the egg up to 500-600 degrees it'll take it a while to fall to 300. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ThrasherIII
    Thank you for the info, makes sense. I was planning on some cedar plank salmon and steaks on the egg. Any and all info is appreciated.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    i like these trexed, sear at 700 then drop to 400 and finish. bacon or string wrap so they dont flatten out, and a sauce to add flavor, they need it

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ThrasherIII
    :) what was the temp of that steak, dayum looks gooood!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    :) what was the temp of that steak, dayum looks gooood!!!
    was probably 125/127 internal, thats what i shoot for with softer steaks like filet or ribeye
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it