Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Ranch Butter and Buttermilk

Options
As some of you know, there's a difference in the buttermilk you buy at the store (cultured) and homemade buttermilk. It's the same with butter too. If you want the real stuff, just make it yourself. 

That's what I did today. I made some butter and buttermilk. Took about half an hour and it's worth it. 

You can do it too. Here's how. 

https://youtu.be/e76qYYLKoMY 

Have fun with it. I did.. 

Spring "BudderBudderBudderBuddeBudderBudderBudderBudder!!!!" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    How much buttermilk it that quart yield...a cup maybe?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    That made my day....Nice job.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Leroy, I've done this several times and it's great! It's been awhile, but I don't remember it taking that long. Did you let the cream warm to room temp first? Much faster that way.

Joan, I don't recall exactly, but a cup per qt sounds about right. It is nothing like what grocery stores call buttermilk. Nothing at all. This is actually drinkable. =)

@Spring Chicken
    @Austin Egghead

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    This is what I did with my homemade butter and buttermilk this morning:

Sunday Butter Brunch

Yes, it was delicious and I'll be miserable all day from the sin of it, but it's worth it.

Spring "Bless Me Father...." Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Dragonwmatches
    Options
    Looks interesting. Do you store the butter in the fridge or at room temperature afterwards?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Looks interesting. Do you store the butter in the fridge or at room temperature afterwards?
    I store it in the refrigerator.  It's my understanding that only clarified butter can be left at room temperature.  Some instructions say to use it within 30 days or freeze it.  Butter goes quickly here, so I don't believe freezing it is in the future.

Spring "Stored At Central Standard Temperature For 75 Years" Chicken

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Leroy, mine has been in a butter bell for about a year now (not the same batch of course). Always soft and spreadable and no rancidity issues even in summer (no AC). And it lasts way longer than 30 days. We had a discussion on here about that subject. Many guys said they always left it out, some in a butter bell, others just in a covered container.

That said, I'm not sure I've done it with homemade. Lots of Kerrygold though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Michael.  This is just one of the articles I read on the subject of homemade butter's shelf life.  There were other comments about it on YouTube.  

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/is-making-your-own-butter-worth-the-effort

I suspect store-bought butter has some preservatives in it.

Spring "Sitting On A Shelf Shortens Your Life" Chicken

• Carolina Q
    Options
    No expert here for sure, Leroy. If I get sick, I'll let you know. The KG label says: Ingredients: Cultured pasteurized cream. Contains milk." Same as the homemade I imagine.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    Options
    @Spring Chicken   I made butter for the first time yesterday....that was fun. Question for you.....when complete, do you add salt or any other ingredients to make compound butters? Any favorites as we are taking it on the road to family's for the big meal later today?

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I add my favorite rub.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I've always wanted to do this.  Thanks for the inspiration and of course, the butter song I can't stop humming!
    Flint, Michigan
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I've always wanted to do this.  Thanks for the inspiration and of course, the butter song I can't stop humming!
    The butter song was playing in my mind as I was wiping it up.