Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....

Options

Comments

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    Cooked two.  14.4 and 13.4. One with s-p and one with coffee rub.  Where do I find the sheet to submit.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm in I'll be bringing a junky Wally world choice $1.64#. It's so cheap I'm thinking of doing something different than usual. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just finished chowing on mine and it was quite edible.  It was certainly smaller that most others cooked but it was fun and came out as the best of the very few briskets I've cooked.  

I almost think I should have pulled it a little sooner, FTC'd for 4 hours and I certainly think that made a difference, thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker

Didn't do any plating pics, but just some Hassleback potatoes and corn on the cob.  Pic order is a little out of wack (never had this hassle before).  

Maybe my next will be a SRF for Father's Day or find a prime somewhere

Great idea @westernbbq especially for National Brisket Day, really looking forward to seeing all of the rest of the cooks.  Sure been some good ones posted so far.

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    We are getting close now fellows. I can hear the Thunder Gods gathering now. May they cast their blessing upon us. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lanceclaytor
    Options
    Starting mine first thing in the morning!  
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Oh boy. Lotsa great cooks here gentlemen.  Mine turned out awesome and i took a lot of picts.   The guests thought i was strange to photograph the meat so much but hey, they dont need to know why i was photographing their delectable meal.   I will get picts posted here and the worksheet done in the next day or so

Thanks for allthe props on the idea but this is about all of you guys who teach the novices like me how to do it right! 

And for those of you who are making yours tomorrow or monday, just have fun with it
    @lousubcap, be sure to have an extra adult beverage for me!

Egg on gentlemen!
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    @westernbbq - it's not all gentleman participating!  This gal is smokin' in the boys' room!  Just put my 8# on and steady at 240 degrees.  I sure hope it's good....
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @westernbbq
    Started the fire at 0515, full load Rockwood with cherry wood for smoke 225F grate 250F dome.
    Placed on the rack after injecting 5:1:1 beef broth, garlic juice, onion juice.

Rubbed with my own concoction of salt, pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, brown sugar and cayenne. 13.4 pounds resting and absorbing heat energy. 
    IT when starting was lower than I like to start with at 45F, which I decided to foil the thin edge.
    Will inject again at 165F IT, and wrap in butcher paper, until the beast passes the probe test. Then BPTC for a minimum 2 hours.
    It is all in the very capable hands of the XLBGE. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I put on a 12 pound choice after trimming 2 pounds of fat off at 12:30.  Started at 235 and it is kind of dropping, but It's set where I always do so I am going to let it ride.  Just woke up at 7:10 and egg was at 180 and brisket was at 149.  At 4 am when my kid woke up it was at 185 and brisket at 156.  I have only had it drop when it was raining, and now I have a SmokeWare cap.  I opened the vents to get more air flow.  I went to bed around 2, this is going to be a long day.  I need it to be done around 2 or I will have to light my WSM to cook ribs and chicken.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options

Pecan, cherry, and hickory, all going in with Rockwood lump.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Mine is in the stall at about 167.  Smells divine.  Used Cherry and Oak.  Neighbors starting to text and beg.  LOL
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Philicious
    Options
    Trimmed.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @westernbbq
    Started the fire at 0515, full load Rockwood with cherry wood for smoke 225F grate 250F dome.

Rubbed with my own concoction of salt, pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, brown sugar and cayenne. 13.4 pounds resting and absorbing heat energy. 
    IT when starting was lower than I like to start with at 45F, which I decided to foil the thin edge.
    Will inject again at 165F IT, and wrap in butcher paper, until the beast passes the probe test. Then BPTC for a minimum 2 hours.
    Adding some data points:
    -not trimmed
    -Fat side down
    -Costco Prime
    -$2.89/lb.
    -drip pan no juice
    -plate setter (indirect)
    -placed on grid @0545 EDT.
    6 hours in IT @151F, crawling.
    temp has been stable throughout, thus far.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Philicious
    Options
    Rubbed with olive oil and Oak Ridge Black Ops.

• Philicious
    Options

• Philicious
    Options
    Set up is the R&B combo - drip pan but only drippings, not liquid for moisture.  No injection in meat.
  • Philicious
    Options
    Went on at 10:30 am EST.  Dome temp 250.
  • Philicious
    Options
    Temp spike to 300, think I have it under control now.  Wrapped in butcher paper - first time wrapping.  Wrapped at 168 and at 12:30.

• YukonRon
    Options
    Started the brisket cook watch with beef tenderloin and My Beautiful Wife's homemade biscuits and French press coffee.
    This day, life is perfect.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I put the SRF gold on last night about 12:30 at 225.  Woke up around 7 and the egg had dropped to about 200.  Brisket was showing 140.  Bumped the temp a tad, just to make sure it was lit and it went to 275.  Brisket was done at 9:30, no perceptible stall - had the jiggle at 191.  I left it on for another 30 min to reduce FTC time, as we aren't eating until about 5.  I figure I'll take it out around 4.  Hope that's not too long.

In the meantime, SWMBO approved a second brisket purchase, as she was surprised at the SRF shrinkage.  Costco was out of prime, so I grabbed a CAB.  More Rockwood and wood (some Post Oak, but ran out so added Maple), and I'm going to turbo that guy.

Egg has been running all weekend.  No pics yet, but I'll try to get one of the SRF sliced, assuming it turns out.  Looked and smelled great though.

FTC 7 hours OK?
    NOLA
  • Philicious
    Options
    Back on.  I did spritz with water every 30 minutes.

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Off spec entry

• Beef plate ribs - 44Farms, ungraded, but lets call them prime (unk weight)
    • 20stone rub (pepper, more pepper, cayenne, granulated onion, paprika - all freshly ground) + salt
    • MM, indirect, water pan, 250 - 265F grid
    • Wrapped in butcher paper at 160, pulled at 185 - 190F (butta)
    • 8 hours door to door, wrapped after 5
    • BPTC 4 hours

Served with freshly baked sourdough

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @buzd504 - 7 hours, Yup.  Pre-warmed cooler with hot water, then double wrap the meat in HDAF after allowing it to sit for 20-30 mins to stop the carry-over cook. Stuff meat and garage quality dryer warmed towels to fill the void-shut cooler.  Place in sun.  Open when ready to slice and eat.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @buzd504 - 7 hours, Yup.  Pre-warmed cooler with hot water, then double wrap the meat in HDAF after allowing it to sit for 20-30 mins to stop the carry-over cook. Stuff meat and garage quality dryer warmed towels to fill the void-shut cooler.  Place in sun.  Open when ready to slice and eat.  FWIW-
    Great, thank you!
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    Options
    This is the back up brisket. CAB from restaurant depot.  4 hours at about 325 and about to finish. 

NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @buzd504 -  great speed cook but I have since gone back and read where your starter is SRF gold.  Dang -  You are in for a true treat.  And I have yet to enter the rarified atmosphere of the SRF Gold card.  But someday...Enjoy-BTW who's gonna pound all that brisket??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @buzd504 -  great speed cook but I have since gone back and read where your starter is SRF gold.  Dang -  You are in for a true treat.  And I have yet to enter the rarified atmosphere of the SRF Gold card.  But someday...Enjoy-BTW who's gonna pound all that brisket??
    The SRF is in the FTC.  I may transfer to the oven in a bit - I just realized it dials down to 100, so I can put it in at 175.

We have a crew coming over, so the SRF might not have been enough, but the 2nd will likely be too much.  I see chili in the future.
    NOLA
  • Philicious
    Options

Pulled at 205 IT.  Probed like butter everywhere.  Took out of paper and back on 200 BGE to let bark set up.  Then FTC.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    That's a lot of great looking eating coming.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    @westernbbq

Adding some data points:
    -not trimmed
    -Fat side down
    -Costco Prime
    -$2.89/lb.
    -drip pan no juice
    -plate setter (indirect)
    -placed on grid @0545 EDT.
    6 hours in IT @151F, crawling.
    temp has been stable throughout, thus far.

Pulled at 192F BPTC until 7:30 then carving.
    14 hours total

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky