Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A worthwhile find....

Options
Chubby
Chubby Posts: 2,955
Was at Kroger today in Houston picking up a few items and noticed their "store brand" of Hardwood Lump Charcoal on sale.

If you're in a bind and anywhere near a Kroger this is pretty decent lump! Nice sized pieces not much Shake in the bags I bought, and certainly a reasonable price for a 10'ish # bag!!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Simple Truth is a Kroger brand and I've always heard that Royal Oak makes it for them, but if you like it and the price is good then so what! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubby
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You could be right my man though the lump seems a little denser but I'll have to cook with it and see. Nice distribution sizes/peices too!
    Have a great weekend Boss!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Chubby said:
    You could be right my man though the lump seems a little denser but I'll have to cook with it and see. Nice distribution sizes/peices too!
    Have a great weekend Boss!!
    Same back at you! BTW just yesterday I again watched SC YouTube of that party at your place a while back. I'd love to get one of those Cowboy Cauldrons you have...but do they come any smaller? I'm afraid shipping cost would be a killer. It sure looks cool in your yard!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubby
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes they do Ron... when I purchased mine there were only larger sizes but they now make two models smaller than the "Wrangler" I bought.
    The guy who makes them is a really cool guy and if you call him he usually has some "seconds" that he will sell at a discount though I never could determine anything that wasn't just about perfect in the way it was constructed and welded.
    I can't remember exactly what the shipping was but it is shipped strapped to a flat pallet by common carrier and I don't remember it being exorbitant!

If you go to the website ...I think he has information/dimensions/pictures on all of the sizes there now.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Interesting branding move by Kroger-they used to sell a private brand (RO supplied) Kroger lump.  Guess their upper tier "simple truth" line has taken over the marketing and the line.  No matter, it all burns and I'm not here to incite a lump discussion over the weekend.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.