Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....

Options

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Egg is lit, so am i, man those longboards went down easy tonite, briskwet is on
  • HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Options
    Egg is lit, so am i, man those longboards went down easy tonite, briskwet is on
    Can't wait to get mine on. Enjoy the process!
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Woke up and went out to check the egg. Brisket was at 215! 12lb brisket at 275 only took 10 hours!   Well less if I was awake to pull it off. We will have it for breakfast. I hope it is not too far gone. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I am going to be running both eggs all weekend. Keeping the mini rolling with steaks and chops and the XL loaded with brisket and roasts. Doing some cooking for the homeless shelter this weekend. A friend told me they have twice as many to feed this year than last. Count our blessings, and share. These are our sisters and brothers folks.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • F3DAWG
    F3DAWG Posts: 98
    Options
    Count me in on this event, with the tropical storm looking to wash out most of my plans this Memorial day weekend,  I picked up the biggest and most flexible flat  that I could find at Sam's. I plan to put it on my medium egg Sunday morning before church. 
    Summerville, SC
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Was there a spreadsheet posted somewhere to post pics and stats ?  I know earlier there was talk of one.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    It's on page 2
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    I hate seeing the Costco prime prices because my local Costco doesn't carry them.  I will ask.  Don't laugh at this price.  This is what I am cooking tomorrow.  Took it out of the freezer on Tuesday.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • MrWilliams
    MrWilliams Posts: 112
    Options

temp spiked to 300 last night.  finished in 12 hours.  ftc fingers crossed!!

XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,386
    Options
    Audible a success.  Picked up a Costco prime packer this AM for a Sunday cook.  Their meat case was stocked with 'em.  $ 2.89/lb for the locals. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • logchief
    edited May 2016
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Audible a success.  Picked up a Costco prime packer this AM for a Sunday cook.  Their meat case was stocked with 'em.  $ 2.89/lb for the locals. 
    Good for you, but do you have to rub it in to us poor slobs whose Costco's don't carry brisket.  Especially @Philicious
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @logchief -  FYI it has been only within the past couple of years that they started carrying them and then stocked only about 50% of the time.  Gotten much more reliable with the stock in the past year +.  So, there is hope.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @logchief -  FYI it has been only within the past couple of years that they started carrying them and then stocked only about 50% of the time.  Gotten much more reliable with the stock in the past year +.  So, there is hope.  
    Where are you located?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    logchief said:
    It's on page 2
    Thanks !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Options

Pulled wrapped and resting.... Pulled at 196-203 depending where I probed... In and out like butta... Fork test passed as well... Going to rest in the RTIC for a few hours
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @westernbbq -based on a prior post, any documentation and related pics are to be posted here once the cook is completed.  And I am noting some of the non-variables before I get too deep into the adult beverages.  Love brisket cooks.  Great suggestion.  BTW-my pic taking skills suck as will be noted soon.
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    I'm in. Details to follow for a Sunday night cook for eating on Monday. Basic Franklin cook on my Large-BGE, only hickory instead of oak, and no foil/butcher paper planned.
    LBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm sure I didn't follow all (or any of) the official rules for the entry, but anyway, here's mine. Snake River Farms gold grade wagyu brisket. I used the rub that CT posted a couple days ago, no binder.

CT's Brisket Rub (in ounces)

• 6 parts course black pepper

• 3 parts Kosher

• 3 parts Lawry's seasoned salt

• 2 parts granulated garlic

Put it on a bit after 11PM last night. Here's a link to the Stoker-Web PDF log.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwZ9aXOfbumzaTVET0FtM25MYlk/view?usp=sharing

You can see I fiddled with the temps along the way. Thought it was cooking faster than it actually was. At 185* IT I went and checked it with my Thermapen. It was nowhere close to that and tight as a drum. The food probe must have slid through the muscle and ended up in a fat vein when I inserted it. Re-positioned the food probe and off to the races again.

Let it sit on the counter for half an hour.

And now it's in the Carlisle waiting for guests to arrive.

I highly doubt I will get any sliced pics, beverages will be flowing and the masses will be hungry.

I have good feelings about this one, it has the jiggle.
    https://youtu.be/1hCer4WuX70

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @DMW -  do you recall how much it weighed after the trim?  And I truly can relate to the challenge of brisket sliced pics.  It is a rare outcome when I get any, primarily because I suck at (and don't care for) pics and I'm too over-served to even consider such an undertaking.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @lousubcap - My scale only goes up to 10lbs, so I didn't bother trying to weigh it. That said, I did weigh the trimmings, and they were 1lb 12oz. So aside from juice loss when thawing, it would have been around 12lb 4oz.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • logchief
    edited May 2016
    Options
    That's a beauty, it certainly has some wiggle waggle.

Just pulled my little one at around 199 and probing nice I hope.  Straight into the FTC till later.
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Lot of starving humans to feed that waited patiently lol so pics aren't great... Funny trying to explain the resting phase of brisket to people who know nothing about it lol.. I've definitely had better smoke rings.. But as far as taste and tenderness.. This is the best brisket I've ever made. 

Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Well after all those longboards last nite, 9 which is a lot for me i started sloooowwwww this AM.   Bge was rock steady at 210, internal temp of the poont was 172 and it is now at 194.   Itll be ready to take off the egg in about two hrs.   I am going to do the spreadsheet writeup and pit some pictures here along with it.   Should be tasty.....and im doing brisket next weekend as well for a couple of buddies i grew up with who are coming to town with family so that should be fun.
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Nicely done @ EggSmokeVa.    That brisket is gorgeous
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Nicely done @ EggSmokeVa.    That brisket is gorgeous
    Thanks brother
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I will post the MD weekend's brisket cook all at once but i need to ask a question of the brisket eggsperts out there.

This is related to trimmimg the brisket as franklin recommends .  i never before trimmed flats, points or whole briskets.   This explains why i always had a pan full of grease at the end of the cook.  Well i trimmed my 15.8 lb whole prime costco packer this AM to get it prepped for dry brine in fridge and i  weighed it after the trim and i have 11 lbs left.   I did trim a little meat off to square it up and help it to fit in the large bge (although i will tent it) and got a lot of that hard fat along the outer edge off as well as some of the hard fat that is sort of in the interior.  It was sort of a wedge that was wide on the surface and narrowed as i cut inside a bit.

So my question is this: is 4 lbs of mainly trimmed fat too much to take off of a 15.8 lb packer?   There still is a thin layer on the underside which i left mostly intact.  
    That sounds about right to me. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    Options
    It's all about the friggin cow-I have loped 3+ lbs off a 15 lb brisket and the next time maybe only 1-2 lbs max.  Clearly the butcher job before you get to it has a major impact as well.  I'm not from TX so take the previous with a grain or two of kosher salt  ;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    I'm sure I didn't follow all (or any of) the official rules for the entry, but anyway, here's mine. Snake River Farms gold grade wagyu brisket. I used the rub that CT posted a couple days ago, no binder.

CT's Brisket Rub (in ounces)

• 6 parts course black pepper

• 3 parts Kosher

• 3 parts Lawry's seasoned salt

• 2 parts granulated garlic

Put it on a bit after 11PM last night. Here's a link to the Stoker-Web PDF log.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwZ9aXOfbumzaTVET0FtM25MYlk/view?usp=sharing

You can see I fiddled with the temps along the way. Thought it was cooking faster than it actually was. At 185* IT I went and checked it with my Thermapen. It was nowhere close to that and tight as a drum. The food probe must have slid through the muscle and ended up in a fat vein when I inserted it. Re-positioned the food probe and off to the races again.

Let it sit on the counter for half an hour.

And now it's in the Carlisle waiting for guests to arrive.

I highly doubt I will get any sliced pics, beverages will be flowing and the masses will be hungry.

I have good feelings about this one, it has the jiggle.
    https://youtu.be/1hCer4WuX70

Oh yeah. That's a home run right there. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Seasoned my 13.4 lb prime packer earlier today, planning on rolling out of bed early and starting the Brisket cook. I am looking so forward to this event, and of course the food. I went ahead and made tons of potato salad and coleslaw. Bought some sweet corn at a roadside stand today, 10/$1USD. Likely will do that as well. Loin roast last night came out awesome, todays beef tenderloin roast came out killer, hoping for similar results tomorrow with the brisket.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)