Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5.5 LB Pork Shoulder on Mini-Max with Stokers

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

I decided it was time to add a fan unit to my Mini-Max. Having the Stoker, I can easily add more BGEs with just another fan.

I removed my Kickash basket to get as much lump in as possible. I'm going 250° till 195° IT. I'm 30 minutes into it and all is looking good.

Here is how it's looking so far. Using a homemade indirect and raised set-up.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Looking good! I've got an 8lber in the fridge now. And have 3 racks of spares on the large. Probably smoke the butt on Monday.

What kind of rub is that?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That looks great.  I've got to get mine going on a long cook as well.  So far, its only been grilling or fast roasting
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Nice!  Love my Stoker
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • bigguy136
    Options

I just pulled and wrapped in foil. It cooked for just over 7 hours at 250° with another 45 minutes for getting up to temp. With the amount of RO lump left, I could've gone 12-14 hours. Now I just need to wait an hour so I can pull and eat.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options

And here it is pulled.

With the amount of lump left, I think I will put a 10 lb shoulder on my mini-max tomorrow.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

I wanted to try it before saying in case it sucked but I really liked it. I used equal parts of course sea salt, black pepper and garlic. My ration is a tablespoon of each per 5 lbs of meat.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Looks good brother!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mavs757mx
    Mavs757mx Posts: 7
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    shtgunal3 said:

I wanted to try it before saying in case it sucked but I really liked it. I used equal parts of course sea salt, black pepper and garlic. My ration is a tablespoon of each per 5 lbs of meat.
    This rub works well on brisket as well!
    Large BGE and Weber Summit 670 on the weekend.  Blowing smoke out of the jet engines during the week!
  • bigguy136
    Options
    Mavs757mx said:
    bigguy136 said:
    shtgunal3 said:

This rub works well on brisket as well!
    I agree, it actually is my brisket rub. I'm trying to cut back on all the rubs I have. Definitely a good replacement for the Plow Boys Yard Bird I've been using. Not saying it's the same taste, just an acceptable substitute. 

Big Lake, Minnesota