Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Cheese - instructions needed

Options
TN2TX
TN2TX Posts: 298
I would like to smoke some cheese this weekend. Could someone explain the basics. Thanks!
Dallas, TX

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Where are you located? Inside of the egg needs to be less than 90 degrees or so. Probably less for smoking cheese or it will melt. I use a amaze n smoker only and egg usually hovers in this range. It's too warm ambient here to smoke cheese now. Other than that, it's as easy as lay it in grate and apply smoke for a few hours depending on desired smoke level. Then vac seal and let hang out in fridge for A few weeks or however long you want. Easy
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Options
    ^^^ Assuming movd from TN to TX?? Might be too warm there now too
  • TN2TX
    Options
    @Chubbs I am in Texas but it's supposed to be mild this weekend. What temp smoke at and for how long?
    Dallas, TX
  • Chubbs
    Options
    You need to "cold" smoke it. So most, including myself, use a cold smoke generator that will keep the egg less than 90 degrees. You don't use any charcoal or anything. Just the pellets in the AMS. Some will build a small fire but seems like too much work to me to keep at such a low temp. You really just want to apply smoke. Not cook the cheese. You might even get some melting at 90 degrees. I would prefer it to be in the 70s but sometimes it's not in the cards
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I agree with @Chubbs   My cheese smoking is done now until fall.  Fyi, I light one side of the amazing smoker and let it go for about 3 hours.  Food saver, and let it sit for a month or so before eating so it can mellow.

btw, if  you are anxious to cold smoke something, try a tray of water.  Then make ice cubes for bourbon.  I do this a couple times a month.

or smoke some kosher salt for cooking.  I don't do this a lot for myself, but I do it for others who don't otherwise smoke.

Phoenix 
  • TN2TX
    Options
    Thanks @blasting sounds like I should save this activity for the fall
    Dallas, TX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    few ways to dodge the heat if you really want to smoke this time of year...
    1) place a pan of ice between the smoke source and the cheese
    2) smoke it early in the morning
    3) smoke it with multiple intervals, e.g. 3x 30-min sessions instead of 1.5hr straight, allowing the cheese and setup to cool down between sessions, it's a pita though
    canuckland
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I've frozen a milk jug full of water to keep the temp down - totally forgot about that.
    Phoenix 
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Can't y'all just rotate frozen towels drapped over the egg with cheese in it to keep temp down.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Given that the morning temps are 60-70 these days I would say wait until you get one in the 50s to try it out. Otherwise your cheese will melt before it gets smoked. 

Like others, I just do some large batches during cold weather (using the Amazen pellet setup) and then vacuum seal for later use. Makes great holiday gifts. Just ate some last week that I had smoked and sealed in December of 2015
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Smoking cheese is winter deal for me using the egg, and I am in Kentucky.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky