Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mothers Day Cook - Beef Short Ribs

Options
NERVOUS
NERVOUS Posts: 104
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum

DISCLAIMER:  This was my first 'low and slow' cook on the BGE.

I used a dry rub I got from a friend to prep the meat.  Filled my XL BGE with lump charcoal (up to the top of the fire ring).  Started the fire using a single fire starter square.  Put the ConvEGGtor in-place and carefully centered a drip tray on top of it.

NOTE:  I used four stacks of 5x pennies each to create an air gap between the ConvEGGtor and the drip tray.

I put the grate in-place and closed the lid.  If I'm being completely honest, the DigiQ DX2 (from BBQ Guru) did all the hard work from this point forward.

This is what the slabs looked like after 5 hours at 250 degrees (bone side down).

This is what the slabs looked like during the 90-minute foil-wrapped session (meat side down)...  Good looking foil wrap, right!?!  I applied a sauce to the slabs prior to wrapping them.

I finished the slabs with a 60-minute session on the grill (bone side down) at 275 degrees.

And this is the final product...  Literally, fall-off-the-bone tenderness!

Ribs were a huge hit with my wife and mother-in-law...  And I'm a bonafide Egghead now!  

Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
"Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I'm gong to say it. Heel clicking salute for first LS. Well played. I personally would slam that real quick
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful cook man!  Aluminum foil balls v pennies, not sure about the over under.nnnice work!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Those are some serious ribs right there....  Great low-and-slow
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Beautiful ribs; well done pardner. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    Nice job on the short ribs. Cooking several this weekend. An option to the pennies I've used for years. Go get some 1/2" copper T's from Home Dept and use them between the drip pan and plate setter. Mine sit at the bottom of my BBQ tool bin for my low and slow cooks and are "well seasoned".  
    Those look fantastic.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Don't know how I missed this earlier-but dang that is a great cook.  Friggin nailed it.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.