Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Rib question...

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
Was going to try Turbo Ribs for the first time (2 hours, indirect, @ 325-350).  I usually do the low and slow and have always been happy with the results, but then I'll miss dinner!

Question... when do you sauce and do you do it direct or indirect?

I was going to forgo the foil fuss unless I'm done early and need to hold them.

Thanks!!  :plus_one:

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Turbo is 1 hr 40 minutes @ 350 ish ... indirect, sauce the last 15 minutes (or so) or not at all.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Yeah, like @SoCalTim said.  At that temp, any sugar in the sauce can burn if the sauce temp gets very high - so 10-15 minutes with sauce is the max you would want to do.  And I would check them every 5 minutes after the sauce is on.  As a result, they really need to be "done" before you sauce them and just think of the sauce as a glaze.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Turbo is 1 hr 40 minutes @ 350 ish ... indirect, sauce the last 15 minutes (or so) or not at all.
    Agree w/ @SoCalTim. Another  variation (saw this at BGE Culinary School) is to foil and sauce for last 15-30 minutes. Bone side down, no need to turn/check. 

Last two times I did this no foil. Just remove. sauce and return to Egg. 

Bon Apetit! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    To jump on the turbo rib bandwagon?  We do like using the pineapple head on the ribs.  There is allot of sugar in that rub.  Will that be ok for turbo ribs?  Or just less sugar-BBQ style rubs?

Garnerville, NY
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    @robnybbq, that's a good question.  I've used that rub but only for shorter cooks.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Try some of both and find out. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Pineapple head? 
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Dizzy pig pineapple head. Awesome

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Dizzy pig pineapple head. Awesome

Garnerville, NY
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, guys.  Rib cook was postponed due to conflicting plans, or else I'd be posting pictures now.  Thanks for the tips.  Looking forward to trying this method soon.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Okay, the cook was delayed a day but they are going on NOW!   Do I still use the normal "rib done cooking tests" with this method?   I know when they are done when I cook them slow (bend test and the toothpick check).  Just want to make sure they are done before I sauce, or can you pretty much take that 1:40 to the bank?

I'm use an AR, two levels....one up, one down.  :plus_one:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Yes. Bend & or toothpick for the win. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    RESULTS!   Okay, ribs were great.  Pics below and then my nit-pick turbo vs. lowslow analysis after that.

This ended up being a 3 hour cook for me all told (taking on and off the grill to sauce and such).
    At 1:40 they were not done, let them go for another 25 minutes.  Checked again and I could see progress, but still not done.  Let them go for another 25 and they were done.  So, for these babyback ribs it was 2:30 on the cook. I suspect the lower rack was done sooner.  I know every rack varies. 

Took them off to sauce and put them on for another 15.  Got a nice glaze.  All good!

The meat pulled cleanly off the bone and it had a solid smoke flavor.  Results were better than any restaurant or other backyard ribs I've had, and probably on par with a good BBQ place.    Pics, then more talk...

Onto the egg!

Passed the bend and toothpick test, ready to be sauced...
    Done!  (sauced)

The cut...

Turbo vs. LowSlow

Okay, I'd be hard pressed to find any significant difference, which surprised me.  Ribs were very good.   I have some nitpick thoughts but as this was only a sample of 1, it could be specific to the wood/lump/meat.  Who knows...

I think my low and slow ribs have a little more moisture, a bit more "fall apart when you bite it", in addition to a more pronounced bark.

These had a smoke line but not as defined as on a low and slow.
    My pecan smoke flavor was almost a little too strong, as if the wood gave off a different odor/chemical at the higher temp.  Not bad, though.  Different.

That said, anyone I serve them to wouldn't know the difference.  I think only another egghead might tilt his head to the side mid-bite and ask, "these turbo?"  ;)

Thanks.   I'll definitely try this method again.  I think low and slow will still be more go-to, but more often then not it's the clock that rules the cook.  So it's nice to have this one in the repertoire.  :plus_one:

LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    One more final note...  Cooked Saturday night and served Sunday night at a BBQ. 

I sliced the ribs in the morning, put some sauce in my dutch oven, laid the ribs on top, and put the whole thing in a 250 oven for an hour before the party.   

Then just carried the DO out to the picnic table for service!  Ribs were perfect, devoured, and the DO's retained heat kept the ribs at service temp for a while.  

Two racks sliced, half filled up my DO.  So good to know, I think I could cook 4-5 racks ahead of time and use this method for cook ahead party service.  :plus_one:
    LBGE/Maryland