Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curing Bacon

Options
blukat
blukat Posts: 354
Heres a good article on curing your own bacon.  I highly recommend it!
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/05/08/how-to-make-your-own-bacon/

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Most here, including myself, use the book Charcuterie. I have 120lbs under my belt. Makes for some good eats and way better than store bought if you cold smoke it
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • blukat
    Options
    @Chubbs I also have Charcuterie, I make the Maple Bacon recipe, just finished curing 10lbs last week.  What are some of your other top items to try from the book?
  • Bushmat1
    Bushmat1 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have that book as well as the next one in the series - salumi. I built my own curing chamber out of an old fridge (not that tough - under 200) and have been curing a ton of meat lately. The coppa was awesome. Guanciale, pancetta, and bresaola are currently hanging. I have made the corned beef out of Charcuterie many times, and it is awesome. Just make sure you use a flat only, otherwise the point will mess up the curing time due to nonuniform shape. Feel free to email me with any specific questions you have - bushmat1@gmail.com
  • blukat
    Options
    Thanks for the offer and information  @Bushmat1
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options

Sounds easy enough.  I am dying to try this, but it makes me a bit nervous.  Although, everyone that tries it says it is outrageous!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blukat said:
    @Chubbs I also have Charcuterie, I make the Maple Bacon recipe, just finished curing 10lbs last week.  What are some of your other top items to try from the book?
    Canadian bacon, smoked turkey, holiday glazed ham, it's all good

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Chubbs said:
     I have 120lbs under my belt. 
    This is the problem with making your own bacon, eventually you have to buy new pants.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I just picked up a 10 lb pork belly. Why not just smoke it without adding all of the salt/ nitrates? I think that would be smoked side pork?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Well, if your aim is to make bacon, it wouldnt be bacon. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]