Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy WINGS even the wife liked!

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
So...like some of you I struggle with wanting to make smoky spicy food I enjoy, and also avoiding the "too smokey.  too spicey" comments.   So I switched up my normal wing cook and it was awesome...

I marinaded the wings while prepping the grill in fresh oregeno, lemon, garlic, olive oil, S&P.
In fairness, I also threw in some dried rosemary & thyme.  The pepper was fresh ground and the salt was kosher, liberally applied.  Mixed in a splash of white wine to thin out my marinade and a little corn starch to make it adhere.

Smoked them at 250ish for 2 hours.  Then pulled the stone and browned them quickly raised direct.

Excellent!  Everybody liked them.  SWMBO'd said she liked it better than my spatchcock... which was no surprise, they're wings.  That's like saying, "I like this entire ice cream sundae better than whipped cream."  :lol:

Wings just put on the grill;

Wings after an hour;

Wings after the quick direct brown;

As served!

Flavor was great.  I dipped mine in hot sauce but didn't need it.   I put a little cherry in which gave them just enough smoke without it being overpowering.

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Now that is one strong cook.  Most eggcellent.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Great cook and pics.  Thanks for posting.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Options
    This makes me want to do wings tonight! Those look awesome.
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    This makes me want to do wings tonight! Those look awesome.
    Do it!  It's exactly where I was at this point yesterday...
    Went to the foodstore and found frozen wings on sale.  Put two bags in the cart...then put one back and got a 3 lbs. package of fresh wings to cook immediately.  :plus_one:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Them be some savory, lookin' wangs!  Thanx for the formula!!~~
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That's such a great idea on the marinade....well played.  Must bookmark this for future use.  Thanks for sharing!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Very good lookin wings...
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    Great looking wings. Thawing some out right now
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nice wing cook brother!!  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Yup, they were great.  Right about now I'm wishing I didn't give the leftovers to my neighbor! 

LBGE/Maryland
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    :o Winner Winner Chicken Wing Dinner!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Those looks great. Love wings on the BGE.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Yup, they were great.  Right about now I'm wishing I didn't give the leftovers to my neighbor! 

You should be whipped for this^^^^^^

On a serious note, NEVER give away food that can be eaten. Next, great looking grub for sure my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    Options
    SGH said:
    KiterTodd said:

You should be whipped for this^^^^^^
    :lol:  :lol:   
    You are correct sir.  I can not argue with you.

Thanks for the feedback. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options