Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

large chunks of lump

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After several bags of lump from True Value I have been using Royal Oak. My problem with TV was the smallest of pieces and the DUST. Now just in the last 4 bags of Royal Oak I have extracted and set aside about 16 big chunks. Most are 10 to 12" long and are real thick. Do I try to break these up or what? The only way they would fit is to straddle the center of the fire box, but I try to center my fire so that doesn't seem to be the answer. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I'm getting the impression that my question is considered dumb and nobody wants to offend me with the answer. As soon as I can I'll take hammer to a large chunk to see what happens.
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]Not a dumb question as you say in your follow up, just not one that I've ever given much thought until now. I use the Royal Oak brand also and have not had that many big chunks. I've broken them up if they are too large to fit in the firebox but other than that, I dont use them any differently than the rest of the lump that comes out of the bag. When I do a low and slow I do try and ensure that there is lump all around these big pieces to try and ensure that there is no empty space under or on top of it. I want as much lump in there as possible doing low and slows. Other than that, break them so they fit in the firebox and light away.[p]Troy
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    one feral kat,
    I use a local charcoal and because it doesn't get shipped long distances its mostly big chunks...fist size or bigger. In order to get some smaller stuff I get a second bag and slam the dern thing up on the wall a couple of times. It seems like the big chunks burn slower? longer? there is something different in the way they burn though. The local stuff comes in oak or maple. We also get some lump from Canada once in a while that has some really big chunks like you are talking about and all I do is give them a whack and they'll fit nicely in the firebox. [p]Carey