Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Costco rotisserie chicken

Options
bhedges1987
bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
edited May 2016 in Off Topic
first time I've tried one was today.... $3.99 and that thing was bangin.. The birds they use, are they like crazy injected with solution? Maybe I got a really exceptional one but juiciest breast on a whole bird I've  ever had. 

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Same at SAMS.  For the price, I always grab one or two, needed or not.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Or you can do it on the BGE...

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
     Same price as a raw bird. It's more expensive to cook it yourself
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that Costco actually loses money on the Rotisserie chickens. It's just a way to get people into the store so they buy other things while they are there.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Hans61 said:
     Same price as a raw bird. It's more expensive to cook it yourself

THIS.......
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    First time sure it's good , after all while they get just plain old. I walk by all the times without buying.
    Seattle, WA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I must confess that since they opened a new Sam's a couple of miles from my house I haven't cooked a bird myself.  

I will say though that sometimes they are better than others.  I have had a couple that were so good I thought I would never cook another chicken, but I have also got some that where "meh".  I think it just depends on how long it sits in the warmer after they cook it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    I get them from Costco from time to time and usually toss them in a hot oven for 5-10 min to crisp up a bit.  Nothing easier.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Cooked very slowly with lots of salt in the seasoning package in a high humidity environment. Quite distinctive. Locally, Safeway does the same thing, the butcher there tells me they use birds right out of the meat coolers - maybe with a few days on them. Still, great value if you like the flavour. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Ya I agree I could do something similar on my egg and it's more fun, but it's also more expensive and more labor. But $3.99 is pretty awesome deal. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Options
    They are good. They also make great chicken salad. 
    This is a fact sir
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Costco makes chicken salad out of the leftover birds that they don't sell.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Costco has the pulled white meat from their rotisseries in kryovac over by the pizzas. It's a little more expensive but you get all white meat and no skin or bones. I buy a pack every week for lunches at work. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Costco's Mac and Cheese is out of this world good.  I haven't made my own since discovering it
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    First time sure it's good , after all while they get just plain old. I walk by all the times without buying.
    They can get old, I have found they are very versatile however. I use the meat for a lot of things.
    Chicken pot pies. Chicken salad. Chicken Enchiladas.
    Chicken Tamale's with green chili/tomatillo sauce.

The chicken by itself can get boring.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    GregW said:
    SkinnyV said:
    They can get old, I have found they are very versatile however. I use the meat for a lot of things.
    Chicken pot pies. Chicken salad. Chicken Enchiladas.
    Chicken Tamale's with green chili/tomatillo sauce.

The chicken by itself can get boring.
    This. I'll snag two and have meat for the week that is incredibly versatile. Can't beat that for 8 bucks.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken, as a whole, is juicier than other methods.

The store bought ones are too rubbery for me, sitting around all day in a package, jacked up with salt.  Can't recall the last purchase.

I prefer to smoke my own, usually cherry or apple.  Start out at 250, and let it cruise up to 350 or so.

Trying an Indiana bird barrel approach with the CB rotis on my 22 WSM over the weekend. 

I'm sorry, Sams or Costco can't touch the ones smoked on the Weebers.  

Fryers are cheap at Aldi, about 5 dollars or so for the smaller 4lbers I prefer.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Too bad Weber ones can't touch the price or convenience of a Costco one. Nothing like swinging by after work and getting one for dinner that night. Never had a rubbery one at Costco. Just so you know, the ones at Costco don't sit out for more than an hour. After that they are pulled and broken down for pot pie, chicken salad, and chicken noodles soup. Can't speak for Sams, as I never worked there.
  • Focker
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Too bad Weber ones can't touch the price or convenience of a Costco one. Nothing like swinging by after work and getting one for dinner that night. Never had a rubbery one at Costco. Just so you know, the ones at Costco don't sit out for more than an hour. After that they are pulled and broken down for pot pie, chicken salad, and chicken noodles soup. Can't speak for Sams, as I never worked there.
    Whatever floats your little flavor boat.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Same goes for the cheap bucket grocery chain fried chicken, hanging out under the warmer, dry as a brisket.  Stroll by it every time.  I don't care what the price, or time constraints are, at hand.

So much better to shallow fry your own in a CI skillet, minimizing oil.

You have a thousand dollar ceramic charcoal grill, and whine about a couple of bucks, and time?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Trolls gonna troll, I guess. Slow night in flyover country?  ;) No one's whining over here, but I am laughing if you think my egg cost 1k. I won't disagree on the fried chicken, though. When you live in a 2 income household, it's nice having the convenience on a weeknight where you need dinner on the table by 6 and you get off at 5. It has nothing to do with cost, I was just giving you a hard time for "overspending" on a rotisserie chicken, even though I  do the same thing on weekends when I have the time to grill on my egg or my 35 year old Weber kettle, because it tastes better and I control the ingredients.
  • Focker
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am drunk. So there's that.
    1k with toys added, probably more.

It takes about an hour and a half to spin a bird from start to finish in the 300s.
    Light grill, rub, truss, cook, serve.

What does a 2 income household have to do with it?  Should be easier, in all facets,  to DIY.

Is it convenience?  Or laziness?

Just bustin' chops bud.
     =) 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Focker said:
    I am drunk. 
     =) 
    You and me both brother
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Canary
    Canary Posts: 37
    Options
    When you've picked it apart, drop the carcass in a pot of water. Good broth.
    If Canary can do it you can too!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Canary said:
    When you've picked it apart, drop the carcass in a pot of water. Good broth.
    I use the chicken for soups and chili. I do chicken noodle, chicken vegetable, and white bean chicken chili. All are delicious and healthy.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    Lit said:
    Costco has the pulled white meat from their rotisseries in kryovac over by the pizzas. It's a little more expensive but you get all white meat and no skin or bones. I buy a pack every week for lunches at work. 
    agree, probably the best deal in the store.  i seperate them into smaller vacuum sealed pouches and freeze them