Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large AR users.....

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
.. .can you use a platesetter or do you use a pizza stone?

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I don't have one, but I'm pretty sure they get on oval stone from the CGS

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No plate setter. If you want to use a ps get a ps woo. You use the stones that match your model (round or oval) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I use a spider with a round stone.  For ribs/brisket, i supplement the deflection with foil and a drip pan.  Works for me.  I prefer keeping the extra level of the AR for meat.
    NOLA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    I have an AR and also bought the R&B oval stone to go with it. Works really well. You won't be able to fit a PS with the AR, but you can use a pizza stone for indirect cooks.  If you have a spider to go with the pizza stone and AR, you can get maximum clearance on an indirect cook  for extra dome space.  
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I got the oval stone for indirect cooks. Also got a round pizza stone for pizzas.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• dougcrann
    Options
    So other than the ability to use a platesetter does the Woo offer anything over the AR?
  • dougcrann
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me what is necessary to get a pizza up in the dome? Looks like when using the AR you use a pizza stone as a deflector. Then put a second pizza stone on the top tier, correct? Do you need to use a grate under the stone? I am using my "Smartphone" with a dumb operator to view the Ceramic Grill Stores site...for some reason I can't get the pictures to blow up...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Can someone please explain to me what is necessary to get a pizza up in the dome? Looks like when using the AR you use a pizza stone as a deflector. Then put a second pizza stone on the top tier, correct? Do you need to use a grate under the stone? I am using my "Smartphone" with a dumb operator to view the Ceramic Grill Stores site...for some reason I can't get the pictures to blow up...
    I use the AR with a stone down low on the first setting and a second stone way up high on the AR extender. You do no need any grids for a pizza set up. I'll post pics on here in a bit. You should be able to blow those up on your phone.

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    That is how I have cooked pizza, spider w/stone, A/R w/grid, BGE pizza stone,500 + or -, homemade dough about 6 min. to cook. Awesome pizza !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • dougcrann
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Can someone please explain calracefan said:
    That is how I have cooked pizza, spider w/stone, A/R w/grid, BGE pizza stone,500 + or -, homemade dough about 6 min. to cook. Awesome pizza !

me what is necessary to get a pizza up in the dome? Looks like when using the AR you use a pizza stone as a deflector. Then put a second pizza stone on the top tier, correct? Do you need to use a grate under the stone? I am using my "Smartphone" with a dumb operator to view the Ceramic Grill Stores site...for some reason I can't get the pictures to blow up...
    I use the AR with a stone down low on the first setting and a second stone way up high on the AR extender. You do no need any grids for a pizza set up. I'll post pics on here in a bit. You should be able to blow those up on your phone.

Thanks...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    grilling 2 pizzas using sliding grids on the rig with lower grid slid out

This is a rig setup with the extender. You can do multiple pies but i prefer to do one at a time up on the extender. He has a stone on level 1 here but you could also do a spider and small stone lower if you want. No real reason to do it but it works just the same. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    The standard SS grid that comes with your egg fits on top of the AR.  Here is the setup.  Stone on lower grid to make it indirect, then your standard grate on top of the AR, then the pizza stone.  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    He has his stones on grids but I usually just set mine on the extender itself with no grid. perfectly fine either way
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    So other than the ability to use a platesetter does the Woo offer anything over the AR?
    Kinda like the name says, the AR (Adjustable Rig) is much more adjustable, and if you want to cook on two or possibly three levels at the same time this is the way to go. It does cost more, but you get more setup options.

The PS Woo offers a raised grid setup, and you can use your platesetter with it (if you already have one). 

"Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I have the R&B oval large AR. It comes with the oval stone to act as a heat deflector. I want to add the spider and small stone to maximize the AR capacity for doing larger cooks.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    Options
    After I bought the AR rig, I took my angle grinder with masonry wheel to my plate setter and made a pizza stone out of it. Cut the legs off in 10 minutes and shaped it round. Works great. Repurposed it.
  • Eggingaround
    Eggingaround Posts: 357
    Options
    I have the AR and started with just the oval stone. I then purchased the spider and use a small pizza stone on that for more space. AR with the spider is a great combo.
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    The spider is Tom's most underrated product.  PSWoo or AR, the spider is a great addition.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• dougcrann
    Options
    After I bought the AR rig, I took my angle grinder with masonry wheel to my plate setter and made a pizza stone out of it. Cut the legs off in 10 minutes and shaped it round. Works great. Repurposed it.
    Hmmm.....