Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5-25 Completed second Chemo Therapy today and now I am cooking 22lbs of butts

Sonny3
Sonny3 Posts: 455
I had to start chemo 3 weeks ago so I have not been around much.  I have looked here occasionally to be honest, but had nothing to post.  Treatments are every 21 days for 6 times and today I completed the 2nd.

As part of the treatment I am first infused with a steroid, Dexamethasone, to help with side effects.  In addition to its intended purpose it jacks up your energy like the famous bunny, for about 3 days. Now in all honesty the forth day is a crash and burn arse busting day.  From then on things mostly return to normal.

But enough of this cancer crud.

So today I decided to put on two 11 lb buts and stock up on some good eats for a while.  Honestly I have been missing the eggs and needed to make sure I still knew how to do something.  They are rubbed down with a mixture of Meat Church Honey Hog and Honey Hot Hog, with just a sprinkling of a couple of others.

Maverick is set and reading just fine.  Shooting for the low and slow 250 all night long.  Alarms are trusted so I can lay down, if the danged steroids will let me.

And so it begins.  BTW can I tell you how much I love this damn forum.  Cooking with the Eggs and reading your posts is one helluva great distraction from cancer crud.  Thanks for allowing me to participate.

You folks have a great evening,

Sonny

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Looks great... Good wishes for the treatments. You got this...
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Going to be good grub! How's the drop top?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    #kickcancersass

Good looking cook on the way!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Brother, counting on you kicking cancer's ass!!  You will.  And a great cook like this is the perfect start.  Believe, and good luck with your treatments!  Keep us posted brother, you are not alone.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    The butts look great, waiting for the finish. The strongest and the bravest are chosen for the toughest tasks. You will win. best wishes to you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Codfish
    Codfish Posts: 42
    A good looking cook, keep us posted. Were all on your side, all good wishes coming your way.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Good luck with the cook. Kick cancers phuckin teeth in. Nice to see you posting. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Take no prisoners-and go with the attitude you have.  Beat this friggin thing.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Nice dome!

Kick it's ass!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I like the look brother!  A badge.  And thank you for your service insuring our freedom.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Keep up the treatment and your spirits! Glad when you can join our side of yelling that we beat cancer! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Kick cancers arse....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Survivor here. Kick Ass Sonny!  #gofuckyourselfcancer 
    Grub looks great!  Enjoy. And continue the fight. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Thanks again for the great supportive comments.

I forgot to add about the butt cook that I totally cleaned the egg of all leftover coal and ash. 

I filled it to the brim with a big part of a fresh bag of RO and I also put in 5 good size chunks of peach wood.

My back porch smells soooo damn good that I may be up all night to just keep smelling the wonderfulness of this cook.  The egg has been just cruising along at 253 grate temp with no fluctuation at all so far.

Damn this stuff is so much fun, said the man who is just plain jazzed on steroids at the moment.  Good thing it is not Friday, I probably would be posting like a mad man.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Sonny3 said:
    Thanks again for the great supportive comments.

I forgot to add about the butt cook that I totally cleaned the egg of all leftover coal and ash. 

I filled it to the brim with a big part of a fresh bag of RO and I also put in 5 good size chunks of peach wood.

My back porch smells soooo damn good that I may be up all night to just keep smelling the wonderfulness of this cook.  The egg has been just cruising along at 253 grate temp with no fluctuation at all so far.

Damn this stuff is so much fun, said the man who is just plain jazzed on steroids at the moment.  Good thing it is not Friday, I probably would be posting like a mad man.
    Post away. Those that mind don't matter...and those matter don't mind...
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Rockin that chrome dome. I love your attitude. 

Peach smells like a little piece of heaven. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited May 2016
    I went with the shiny dome (not a whole lot of natural modifications to remove and will keep it for the duration) a few years ago in support of a friend going thru the same regimen.  Found this site and totally endorse their blade system.
    http://www.headblade.com  Their rig gives a shave as good as any barber.  Matter of fact, I am in search of a great shop that can match it just to experience the treatment.  
    Their after products such as the shave cream and other gear is no better than anyone else.  BTW-most Walgreens or Riteaid stores carry the product.  
    Take no prisoners.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    My favorite is peach smoked pork anything. Can't wait for the results.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Awesome cook!  You got this brother.  Keep up the good fight.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Eggnation sends great energy your way....keep it up!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    We are here for you brother, for the cooking and for any support you may need during the ass kicking of the cancer.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Great looking grub for sure. And I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers my friend. Wish you all the best. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Prayers for you during the chemo, you can beat the cancer. Thank you for your service.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Good luck with round two.  Your positive attitude is very important part of the cure.  Nice cook too. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Positive attitude is half the battle, cancer doesn't stand a chance ! Keep it up and keep on cooking !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Good luck man, your attitude is awesome and inspiring.....as is the grub.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    When my dad was dealing with cancer, the best thing I could do for him was provide some "ribotherapy."  With his cancer, he had quite a bit of rib pain, and we fought back with smoked pork ribs.

My LBGE was over at his house (where it still sits today), and we would shoot the breeze for hours while the ribs ticked along, and then he would get his "perscription."

Cooking together leads to good times.  You have my best wishes in your recovery.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Them butts gonna be good....  Prayers lifted for you my friend.  Stay in touch and keep smoking and grillin!!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"