Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who here remembers....

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
....their first Egg cook? And how it ended up? Not talking burgers and dogs..

We had our Egg for several weeks. Made burgers several times...more like hockey pucks, the Costco frozen patties. Decided to make ribs. Had no idea what the plate setter was for. Tried to direct cook them at 400*. Had a fire very siMilan to the one that was mentioned here...a dumpster fire. Glad there was a pizza joint nearby that delivered...

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    First cook on the LG was a Brisket
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Mine was many years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday.  Three slabs of baby back ribs.  I didn't know you were supposed to wait for the thick, white smoke to clear before adding the food.  The ribs, though tender, tasted like an ash tray.  I'll never forget my wife trying to act like they were good while she was resisting the urge to gag!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    First cook was a pork loin roast done indirect with some apple for smoke, and I did some potatoes direct in a basket... In the pouring rain. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Spatched Chicken.  350, temp was rock solid.  Awesome bird.

Don't remember first girl, but first cook, absolutely. 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I did the traditional SpatchCock.

Just like @Hub, I didn't wait for the nasty to clear.

Was juicy but tasted like smoked coal.

Then I found this place....
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited May 2016
    Options
    16 years ago and it was a beer butt chicken which was the raving thing on the BGE at that time. That one was remarkable and we loved it. Then the second time I fixed it I knocked the bird over and all the beer, juices and rubs expertly ran down inside between the fire ring & the outer shell! What a mess that was when I cleaned it the next day! After that I bought some Willie Chicken sitters and never knocked one over again! Then along came the disclaimers about beer butt adding anything to the cooks and I haven't used these in years!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You're kidding, right? I don't remember my LAST egg cook, much less my first one.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    My first was really nice steaks, well they started out really nice.  Didn't let the smoke burn off or let the egg come to temp.  Needless to say - the meat was tender but all you could taste was smoke.  The family wouldn't let me cook again for about a month.  Doing much better but still learning...
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    My dad gave me his egg and a partial bag of lump that was used 2 times. I didn't know what lump was and where to get it. I figured I could burn some regular wood with the lump until I got more lump. Ya, it was a mess. My cooks have improved and now I go thru over 400 lbs of lump a year.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Options
    Pork shoulder because everyone told me it was forgiving and I couldn't screw it up. Like others here, I didn't let the white smoke clear and thought I was getting great smoke flavor early on it...not so much. 
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Don't remember, but I'm sure I screwed it up somehow.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    First cook-no chance...first girl...forever!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Prime Rib, had no idea what I was doing. Did everything possible wrong. Came out pretty good.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Oh yeah ... in addition to my ribs tasting like an ashtray, I didn't know there was such thing as a membrane on the back of ribs, much less that you needed to remove it!  Nothing like ash tray ribs with the membrane still in tack!!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Thanksgiving turkey. 2012,  did it to the letter of bge instrux on website. 

Perfect bird, lotsa raves, easy cook.  And i didnt even have a guru yet!   
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    About a year ago. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Options
    St. Louis style spares... Came out perfect... Fell in love with the egg immediately 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    @Jstroke you win the interwebs tonight!!! I have tears in my eyes.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    My first cook was a spatch chicken direct.  It was glorious! 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2016
    Options
    First memorable cook was during an ice storm. Power had been out for 3 day and the freezer food was starting to thaw out.  Rural King happened to be open but no electricity,we used our cell phone lights to go and find a DO(my first).  Went home lit the egg and started grabbing stuff out of the freezer and made Hobo stew.  The next day I "tried" to make a pizza but burnt into a pile of charcoal and cracked Mrs3969 favorite pizza stone.  Oh those were the good o'l days.  I got a BGE stone not long after.  

I never really embraced the egg till I found this site. It was used as a grill only till you guys showed me the light.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken... Almost exactly 12 years ago.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I had read enough here to let the smoke clear, but can't remember the first cook for sure, think it was a steak.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Remember it very well. Taking ribs over to my mother-in-laws....  Didn't know about pulling the membrane. I've been a Boston butt guy for years on the WSM. 

Needless to say, those were some very tough ribs, more like shoe leather, and I felt like a complete idiot. 

I'm much better now. They ask for ribs at family gatherings now. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Hub said:
    Mine was many years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday.  Three slabs of baby back ribs.  I didn't know you were supposed to wait for the thick, white smoke to clear before adding the food.  The ribs, though tender, tasted like an ash tray.  I'll never forget my wife trying to act like they were good while she was resisting the urge to gag!
    I had the same exact experience, only I did one rack, not three; and to top it off, I put some apple chips on as well. It looked like an old time coal burning locomotive smokestack.  Something like this:

That was a rough meal. My in-laws came over as well.  I cooked with it right on the front sidewalk on the old green egg feet.

4 people, one rack of ribs - and there were leftovers.  That is how bad they were.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I started simple with ABTs. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I remember like yesterday, it has a  spatchcock chicken and I thought I knew exactly what to do.....boy was I wrong.  I told my wife this egg is nothing like my weber or other cookers....I almost gave up.  I took a few photos.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    My first cook was at the Sunshine State Eggfest way back when it was in Ocala FL, I decided to get a demo and cook as well, I figured no big deal took some Gator sausage, Mahi filets and chicken wings. Went to light the egg and realized that I had failed to bring any source of fire!!!!!! went and found a guy that was very friendly when we arrived and registered, asked him if he had any matches I could have, Luke chuckled, smiled, put his arm around me and said sure let's get your egg fired up. He told me the names of all the parts of the egg, dumped lump into the egg, lit 3 fire starters, left the dome open and said don't do anything for 30 minutes, then come find me again. After waiting what seemed like all morning the 30 minutes was up, found Luke he asked me what temp I wanted must have had a real puzzled look because he quickly said what are you cooking? After telling him the menu he set the bottom vent at 1/4" DFMT at about the same, said it should stay around 350 all day let me know if I can help with anything else. First up was the sausage and now I'm sure I over cooked it because I had no idea about proper cooking temps, but everyone that had some said it was awesome and came back for more when the next batch was done. Then the fish went on rubbed with Everglades seasoning and like the sausage it was a big hit. Can't remember if I seasoned the wings or not but almost everyone did some wings and I'm sure the other cooks wings were much better than mine even though I enjoyed them very much. That my friends is how it all started for us and what an E Ticket Egging ride it has been. Special thanks to Luke and Missy Salazar for treating us like we were family that day.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    A pork butt that I pretty much torched - I didn't have a plate setter and didn't set up the drip pan correctly. I'm sure it was still edible though - that was almost 10 years ago!
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker