Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

good Maryland meat sources (metro DC & Baltimore) ???

Options
Abter
Abter Posts: 125
I haven't been impressed with the meat selection so far I have found at my usual local retail shopping places (Giant,Safeway,Wegmans,Costco,Harris-Teeter, etc.).  I have yet to see a whole brisket at any of these places, and even the pork and beef rib selections seem anemic.

Any suggestions?  I am not especially looking for outrageously priced top-of-the-line places, but more like straightforward quality meat at a good price.  Are there any wholesale oriented places that are OK with retail walk ins?

Any suggestions?
Stay Calm and Egg On
1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    This is where I get whole packers when i do them.  It isn't super cheap, but it isn't as expensive as some of the other local butchers I've found:
    http://www.jwtreuth.com

Also, if you have one around, H-Mart has really good meat and fish.  They probably won't have all the cuts you might want, but I've always found what they do have to be very high quality and very reasonably priced.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I know its not close but Dudek's meats in Essex Md is fantastic.  It's like a butcher shop from the 1950's where time stood still. It's owned by a nice couple and they will custome cut anything you like. Prices are good(especially for the quality) and you can order custom items as well.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I've also just started shopping here:
    http://www.jbgbutchery.com

I really like the place.  It might be more expensive and more boutiquey than you're looking for, and it is  up 83 north of Baltimore, but these chops I got there were spectacular.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Have you been to restaurant depot?  I know there is one in Baltimore and Capital Heights. I go to the one in Cap Heights all the time. I will be going in the next week to get 300 lbs of beef and 150 lbs of pit hams. They have many different cuts of meat. As posted on here before you can get a pass by becoming a KCBB member or an business license will work and there is NO FEE to get a membership. 
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    Walmart in Severn has whole packers.  It's hit or miss of choice versus select though.
    Chester, MD
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Old Line Meet Co on south Monroe St will cut anything you want. Their "farm" Roseda north of Baltimore has a great selection of awesome beef. Not terribly cheap, but the quality is 2nd to none. You can call Roseda Farms and have anything from Old Line delivered to them if that is more convenient.

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I second JW Trueths in Oella, MD(right next to Ellicott City. Also, Wagner's Meat Market in Mt Airy is excellent. Both are real-deal butchers. Steer roll in mooing in the back, roll out in pieces out front. I've grabbed some Roseda Farms at farmer's markets in Bawlmer and that is good to. I've also had it at restaurants in Frederick.

It is highly unlikely you'll ever see a full packer here in Maryland, since we are known for crab cakes and pit beef, hon... Not Texas-style smoked cow chest(sigh). The best ribs I see are at Costco. I can get Berkshire pork at Wegmans and this farm I go to in Western Montgomery County.
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    thanks folks...these are exactly the type of suggestions I was hoping for.  This forum is the best!  Have a great holiday weekend, and remember what it is really about.
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD