Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Slotdog

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Just saw this gadget.  It's like a take on the Spiral Dog; of which I'm a believer in the technique.  Thoughts?  https://www.thegrommet.com/slotdog?utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pd&utm_content=slotdog-m&pp=0

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    We have one that we bought at the Georgia Mountain Fest last year.  It makes great hot dogs!!  They get nice and caramelized, crunchy.  We have found that it works best if you spray the gadget with Pam before slotting each dog.  If not, the hot dog meat gets stuck in the slots.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Well, it looks like a great idea and like many others I bet it works really well---when you remember to use it. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Also picked up one at the Georgia Mountain Fest 2 years ago.
    Works great, but i would say it works better on a larger hot dog. We only punch the dogs front and back, two sides. With a small thinner dog you have to be careful pulling it out of the blades as it will rip pulling it out.
    Worth the money to us.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Looks cool! I just wish I could buy that style of buns here in the Mid-West!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I just ordered one from Smokeware.
    Flint, Michigan
    Options
    RRP said:
    Looks cool! I just wish I could buy that style of buns here in the Mid-West!
    They have them at Kroger in 'Ole Virginia;
    http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/ProductDetail.aspx?catID=757

Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't know it seems like this would be fairly easy to do with a knife.  Lay 5-6 hot dogs together on a cutting board and then just slice the diamond pattern, roll them 180 degrees and repeat.  They might not come out as perfect looking but I think they would taste just the same. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    Options
    I wonder if I could fit the dog into my old school Veg-O-Matic?  Maybe if I bend it.

Member since 2009
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    Having been born and raised in the Chicago area a great hotdog to me is one that is steamed and placed on a steamed bun with Mustard, Onion, Relish, Sport Peppers, Pickle and sprinkled with Celery Salt. Now I live in Missouri but still have a place to go for a Chicago Style Dog.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I prefer natural casing franks over skinless dogs. Therefore this tool would defeat the "snap" of naturals. Guess I'll pass on by. BTW if you are searching for a good natural try to locate Boars Head Natural Casing Frankfurters - they are good! I had to special order them as my Kroger doesn't carry them even though they carry a boat load of BH product in their deli. Just broke the 5 packages down last night, repackaged in FS bags and froze so I'm set to go for the summer!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.